Longer high-end rod choices

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Longer high-end rod choices

Post by jrk » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:50 am

I'm hoping for some input/suggestions. I've been looking for a high-end casting rod that can be purchased in 8' or greater, and cannot seem to find that many...but my searches I'm hoping are leaving out brands that I'm not familiar with. I've looked at Shimano/Loomis and wish the Conquest was made in this length with the guide train they currently use. I've tried St. Croix's Legend X 8'6...fantastic rod, just wish the guides where a little larger. Not familiar with Megabass and the other brands that are often written about.
I'd consider custom but not familiar with best way of going about this and who to trust/contact.

I'm looking for something with a simple/understated build (no bling bs) that I can use to throw around 1/2 oz in both fresh and my inshore hunts.

Appreciate any thoughts/advice.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Longer high-end rod choices

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:29 am

I would be looking at salmon steelhead rods, also eging and seabass rods from Japan.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:45 am

X7 Western Flip if you can find one. Definitely should not of sold mine off. Very unique and certainly can handle what you are laying our for details in regard to your fishing situation trebles, to lighter weighted rigs and weighless plastics in the worm profile from jetty and shores was nice for spots, as far as what is currently available try Shimano Glorious/Ultima, definitely high end steez, of course the hole in the wall JDM guys will throw some of their thoughts as well 8-) one other comes to mind is the current 7'11" from MB can be called upon as well IMHO :-k

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Mr. Hole hasn't chimed in, so Mr. Wall will have to do. (an exercise in writing I imagine)
Sticking with your desired requirements (8'+, Substance over Style, 1/2 oz range, high-end, no semi-micro guides)

One thing to keep in mind when looking at long rods is the handle length.

ID Custom/Studio Composite have several models that might be of interest. (I have a Paradox 7603, it's a gem)
-The 8064.5 is going check all of the boxes of what you are looking for, as long as 1/2 oz is the lowest end of the spectrum you will be throwing. ID gives vary narrow ranges on the Paradox series. This model says 3/4 to 1.5 oz. From experience, it will cast 1/2 all day long, but not much lower. Bonus, it's a spiral guide model.
These rods are all Mike Tyson-no flash-no bling

https://idcustom.jp/product/para-86/

-While I am on this series their newest realese is the 7102, 7'10, rated up to 1oz max, which means it will cast 3/8-1.25, Same as above besides it has a straight guide format.
-They also make a 7113, which is going fall beween the two power wise, and is also a spiral guide set up.
This will give you a better idea of what they look like...

http://www.maniacs1091.jp/shopdetail/00 ... ge1/order/

Another brand from Japan that I would be eyeing is the Rip Rap Weedmaster Army series. These are as close to a custom rod as you can get. The guy who makes these is the most active youtuber I have ever seen, he posts non sense about twice a day and is always laughing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA_pyG ... RKg/videos

Two models here. 8'2 and 9'2. Lure range is 3/8 to 1.25.
https://www.7palmsweb.com/products/deta ... _id=143868
https://www.7palmsweb.com/products/deta ... _id=138528

Lastly, you need a bargin basement option and since I am on an Olympic Vigore kick today, I'll offer you up the Olympic Vigore 8'2X rated at 3/8 to 3oz. Surprisingly, it the lightest of the bunch at 162 grams (lighter than a MB 6'6M Valkarie). It accomplishes this with the use of Torayca 1100G, Nano Resin and Titanium Guides and quality cork. It's not too flashy. And it's a damn bargin!
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/san ... ym-690923/
http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/products/vigore/

Enjoy..

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:21 pm

North Fork Composites have 8' magbass blanks.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:31 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:29 am
I would be looking at salmon steelhead rods, also eging and seabass rods from Japan.
I use the St Croix Avid and Legend Elite “freshwater” rods in 8’6” to 9’6” in various power ratings for fresh and inshore saltwater fishing here in Denmark. Wonderful rods, great components, with a classic build and no bling. I have 6-7 in total and I absolutely love them!

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:50 pm

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:55 am

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:46 pm

continuing in the spirit of hole-in-the -wall above:

tulala el horizante 83

http://tulalajp.com/product/tulala/el_h ... rizonte-83

Understated and rugged builds. High end feel, but price is not sky high. It takes some hunting to bring one across the pond. I don't have the above model but I've found shorter versions to be a pleasure to cast over a large range of lure weights and to live up to their monster hunting power reputation. Not steez RC or NRX sensitive, but I'm not missing bites using these with moving baits, I think.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:30 pm

Many of the recommendations given here are great rods - but not all are good for throwing 1/2 oz. Especially if you fish inshore, as I do, and you want some distance. IMO, you really want a rod where 1/2 oz is more or less in the middle of the recommended lure weight range. The blank needs to load with a 1/2 oz weight. Rods rated 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz or 3/8 to 3 oz - not to mention 3/4 to 10 oz (with 250g rod weight!) - seems way too heavy for what you want. Why cross an ocean.....

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:38 am

I have the E6X MBR903C and i love it. its 7'6 and one piece.

it is also offered in IMX Pro which is higher end than the E6X.

One thing i would not want is a two piece rod. 1 piece is still way better even with modern ferrule design IMO.

just food for thought.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:09 am

Hulkster wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:38 am
I have the E6X MBR903C and i love it. its 7'6 and one piece.

it is also offered in IMX Pro which is higher end than the E6X.

One thing i would not want is a two piece rod. 1 piece is still way better even with modern ferrule design IMO.

just food for thought.
In Europe, 2-piece and multi-piece rods have been the norm with 1-piece rods getting a little more attention these years.
IMO there is no big/real advantage with 1-piece over 2-piece modern rods. I usually buy 2-piece rods. My brother loves multi-piece rods. Nobody I know in Denmark prefer 1-piece rods...

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:15 am

Thank you to all for the recommendations! I sincerely appreciate the time. I'm looking into all provided options, and I have to say I'm a little overwhelmed. The Sea Bass rods are interesting. I have a friend that has made a name for himself for bringing in and help designing blanks made by Century in the UK, a carbon composite company that consistently wins many of the distance competitions. I'm looking this route as well.
And yes...two piece would be icing on the cake to offer travel options. Catching tarpon on 9 and 10 weight 4 piece fly rods in the last few years has proven to me this only a win win option to have.

Would anyone have familiarity with Daiwa's Steez 8' AGS rods? This in a medium heavy...general purpose enough?

Again, thanks for the help.