Jerkbait Rod/all around Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Thurin90
Angler
Angler

Jerkbait Rod/all around Rod

Post by Thurin90 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi guys.
Firstly thanks for all the knowledge you guys share and for all the different opinions.
So winter is coming and I'm on the prowl for a new rod, mainly for jerkbait fishing but also for an all around Medium rod.
I mainly use vision 110's or similar baits, but would like a rod that could also do some light botton contact, so a good sensitivity would be nice.
Was thinking of an 6'8'' to 7'' with fast action and was considering several brands and models.
Any input would be apreciated, since unfortunatly I can't fish them all.
So I was considering the st. croix legend x 7MF, the megabass destroyer jerkbait special or flat side special or a glx (maybe the 842C MBR - G. loomis is kind of confusing to me so if you think of a better option plz tell).
What do you think? Both the st. croix and the glx would be at around 440$, the destroyer would be around 530$.
The price is kind of a factor too since the destroyer retails for the same of the NRX/Conquest around here. Would I be better served with those and would the 100$ diference matter?

Thanks for your help, and good fishing to all. :D

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jerkbait Rod/all around Rod

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:12 pm

You won't find a nicer jerkbait rod for 110size than the Expride 6'10M

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:10 pm

Take a look at the Kistler Helium3 line. They have a 6'8" LMH that is like a Medium+ in power but it's got an MBR-like flex (very similar to a GLX852) and soft tip that keeps fish pinned and throws small and big baits a country mile. They say it is a Fast taper rod but it has only a little more flex than the rest of the Helium3 line with XFast tapers which really aren't XFast IMO. They are fun to fish with, great all-rounders. I really enjoy mine and the reviews on Kistler's website show that everyone else loves theirs too. The NFC blanks are super sensitive and again great all-rounders. On sale you can get them for around $220, maybe even lower around the holidays. Don't skip them in your search!

Thurin90
Angler
Angler

Post by Thurin90 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:35 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:12 pm
That was one of my first ideas but I can't get one where I live. In Europe Shimano is represented by a company that has the monopoly on imports to stores and the only way I can get one is shipping by myself from the US. With that in mind a 260$ rod costs around 400$ all included. Tax is like 25% plus international shipping. So no exprides or poison adrenas. At least not overpaying like crazy. Even the zodias is only available in 3 models. Spinning 7mf, casting 7mh or h.
That will only change around end of next year. ](*,)

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:57 am

I haven't used the new version but have you considered stepping down a peg and trying the Orochi XX Jerkbait special? I have the original version and love that rod for jerkbaits and spook style baits.

Myself, I wouldn't be trying to use any of the rods you picked for both Jerkbaits and bottom contact as I have not really found a rod that does both good. Jerkbait rods are typically designed for moving baits so some of the characteristics you get out of them don't necessarily translate to a good bottom contact rod.

Out of the rods you have listed, I would think the GLX would be best suited to wants but may still leave a bit to be desired one way or the other.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:12 pm

I don't have one, but I think the Destroyer Carbon Head Hein may be the rod you're in search of.
This is the way.

Thurin90
Angler
Angler

Post by Thurin90 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:11 am

Thanks for all the input. The MB hein is kind of hard to find here. ](*,) Stupid EU market, on the plus side the conquest is at the same price as a NRX. A little more expensive than the st. Croix legend x, but when we are talking 450€ to 500€ the difference is not too much.
Would a 842c be worth it? Sensitivity wise they should be pretty similar but I have a zodias and the spiral-x is so nice.
Anyone has one and used it for jerks and light bottom contact?

Thanks again to all for the info.

Thurin90
Angler
Angler

Post by Thurin90 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:14 am

The Orochi is kind of the same problem as the Hein. EU market has the levante and the destroyer french edition, and are kind of expensive. Still will talk to my tackle guy to check the price on it. :D

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:45 am

Thurin90 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 pm
So winter is coming and I'm on the prowl for a new rod, mainly for jerkbait fishing but also for an all around Medium rod.
I mainly use vision 110's or similar baits, but would like a rod that could also do some light botton contact, so a good sensitivity would be nice.
Was thinking of an 6'8'' to 7'' with fast action and was considering several brands and models.
Hello, Friend!
Please, take a look at Shimano Poison Ardena rods. I think you should add 1610M-2 in your list.
You can read my review of this rod here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=79504

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:00 am

Thurin90 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:11 am
Thanks for all the input. The MB hein is kind of hard to find here. ](*,) Stupid EU market, on the plus side the conquest is at the same price as a NRX. A little more expensive than the st. Croix legend x, but when we are talking 450€ to 500€ the difference is not too much.
Would a 842c be worth it? Sensitivity wise they should be pretty similar but I have a zodias and the spiral-x is so nice.
Anyone has one and used it for jerks and light bottom contact?

Thanks again to all for the info.
i tried my 842c for jerkbaits but i felt the handle was too long.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:32 am

If you are comfortable with the PTS reel seat the St. Croix Legend Elites are a great choice. I tried the 6'8" medium and the blank is sweet in my opinion. Very sensitive and works 110s well. Only issue for me was it was hard to work jerkbaits for an extended period of time due to how the seat is shaped and my grip on it. Aside from that it is a great rod.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:52 pm

i really love the expride 6'10 medium for jerkbaits it does super well with them. I also like my st croix legend elite 7' m fast casting rods i have three of those and they get heavy jerkbait use as well. i usually throw 110+1s and deeper baits on the st croix legend elites.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Nrx 852c... such a fun rod.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:12 am

Love my Conquest 842’s for jerkbaits, and many other things. Fish this rod more than any I own, and it can handle some BIG fish. I love all versions of the 842c, but the Conquest has been amazing. Ultra sensitive for those long pause bites, perfect action and recovery rate for ripping fast or slow. It’s light, balanced and I think the handle length is perfect, especially since it isn’t just a jerkbait rod. I throw jerkbaits, light jigs, square bills/mid depth cranks, 1/4-3/8oz spinnerbaits/buzzbaits/chatterbaits, 3/8-1/2oz topwater, etc. on this stick. Never was a fan of short handles since it gives you no leverage for hook sets.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:03 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:12 pm
Revofisher wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:52 pm
i really love the expride 6'10 medium for jerkbaits it does super well with them.
Is the 610M expride a slightly slower action than the others? I have a 72ML+BFS expride that I use for jerkbaits...and I can't imagine that taper in a heavier power doing well with thin treble hooks. I know the Zodias 610M has a slower tip than the rest of the rods in that lineup. That's a great budget jerkbait rod btw.