“Finesse” Jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: “Finesse” Jig rod

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:49 pm

It sounds like you need a 843 MBR. I'm not a fan of the JWR rods for jigs. I like a softer tip.

Another option is the Tatula Elite AGS 7' Mag MH. This is the rod Seth Feider uses to flip milfoil.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 am

For those weights I'd go with the nrx 894

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:41 pm

I agree with a 4power loomis. Get that glx 854 bra.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:47 pm

I have an 854 glx and a 894 Nrx, that 4 power loomis is my jam for bottom contact. I fish northern Wisconsin lakes with coontail and milfoil. I don't fish jigs much, I do 3/16-3/8oz Texas rigs to stay clean. Hope that's helpful

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Fishing grass in 12' to 15', 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs, consider the new Daiwa Steez AGS 7'5" MH/H Bottom Contact rod. I've fished everything from 1/4 oz tungsten weighted beaver style baits up to a full 1 oz Dark Sleeper fished like a big jig, and it is extremely impressive across the spectrum. It has a traditional and versatile "fast" action, balances nicely with a range of reels, and is just a lot of fun to fish. I'm a huge fan of "finesse" football jigs like the Keitech 1/2 oz tungsten model, and this rod is in the zone with that bait. I wouldn't call it a "finesse jig" rod by any stretch, but your description of the variables isn't what I'd consider necessitating a finesse jig rod. Obviously nobody has had any meaningful time on the water with this model but me, though that will change very soon it appears :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:15 am

I fish a lot of lakes in Northern MN as well. Walker/Nevis and grand rapids. Similar depth ranges on clear lakes in the summer. I mostly T-rig because I haven't found a jig I like for weeds. Going to give that outkast stealth a shot.