7'6" Spinning Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
User avatar
hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:48 am
Location: San Diego, Ca.

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by hookfynn » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:44 pm

i have the daiwa AGS and love it! im with the others on this one. save a little more and pull the trigger on the AGS!

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by smallies » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:36 pm

The Steez AGS is king of 7'6 spinning rods... and maybe all spinning rods in general...

User avatar
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1844
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Location: Utah

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 pm

smallies wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:36 pm
The Steez AGS is king of 7'6 spinning rods... and maybe all spinning rods in general...
Have you tried the 901 NRX?

Thunderblack1984
Angler
Angler
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:41 am

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:16 am

Just ordered a 901S. I think the AGS would be a great rod but love cork and can you really beat nrx? Sweet rods

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by Revofisher » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:34 am

im a huge nrx fan, but i will say the steez ags 7'6 m/ml is something special its a great rod for sure. The 901 nrx is really awesome as well but its the light stuff rod without a doubt, the steez is more versatile in things outside the tiny baits if it needed to be.

The Pond King
Angler
Angler
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:24 am

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by The Pond King » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:08 am

I’m glad this thread popped up. I was also thinking about getting a 7’ 6” spinning rod. Is the Steez AGS better than Conquest 902SJR in your guys’ opinions?

User avatar
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: www.tackletrap.com
Contact:

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by bronzefly » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:13 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 pm
smallies wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:36 pm
The Steez AGS is king of 7'6 spinning rods... and maybe all spinning rods in general...
Have you tried the 901 NRX?
Yes. It is a nice rod, but nowhere near as versatile as the 76MML. I find the MML more sensitive in my hands as well.
Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:16 am
I think the AGS would be a great rod but love cork and can you really beat nrx? Sweet rods
NRX are fantastic rods indeed, but yes, they can be beat :lol:
The Pond King wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:08 am
I’m glad this thread popped up. I was also thinking about getting a 7’ 6” spinning rod. Is the Steez AGS better than Conquest 902SJR in your guys’ opinions?
The Conquest 902s is a fine rod indeed. I enjoyed fishing mine while I had it. It is a strong medium power, definitely not a "finesse oriented" spinning rod. I much prefer the 76MML over the Conquest.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 pm

I have a 901 and two 7'6 MML AGS rods. I agree with Gary that the 901 is a specialized stick and the Steez is more of an all arounder. Here are my thoughts on the two rods:

Tip
The tip is really light on the 901, but fast and very similar to a 820 DSR GLX that I have. It's whippy, but has a really fast recovery. The Steez tip is stiffer and not nearly as whippy. Similar recovery. I would put both rods in the fast category. They are definitely not in a 822 DSR NRX category.

Power
The 901 is a solid 1 power rod and the Steez would be a 1.5 power in G Loomis power ratings.

Ergonomics
The Steez may have the best ergonomics of any rod I have owned. It's that comfortable. 10/10. I have had 2500 Stella FJ, 3000 Exsence, and now have 4000 Tatula LTs on them. They all balanced great. The reel seat on the Steez is also really comfortable. The NRX balance is just okay. This is with a 4000 Stradic CI4 on the rod. I put a 2500 Stradic CI4 on the rod and it felt more tip heavy to me, so I'll keep the 4000 on it. The cork used by Loomis is just ok for the price point, in my opinion. I'm a cork snob though since I have been spoiled with fly rods from custom builders. Flor grade cork just feels so much better.

Guides
A lot has been said about the Recoil and AGS guide trains on both rods. I am strictly a braid to flouro guy with an FG knot and 6-10 lb braid. Both pass knots fine, but I find the AGS guides to pass them a little better. I haven't had any issues with AGS guides breaking, but I always use rod socks.

Applications
The NRX is a one trick pony for long casts with light lures. If you need a rod for marabou hair jigs, really small jig heads with single tail grubs, and the smallest floatings Rapalas this rod is for you.

The Steez is the rod to get if you need a workhorse. I use it to drop and drag 3'' Keitechs, tubes, neds, open water senko, etc. It's a great rod for open water finesse fishing except for the very lightest needs and that is where the 901 comes into play.

If you want something for both open water and tight cover like docks, I think you are better off getting an 852 NRX or Addermine. The 7'6 rods are just too long for me and I'm taller.

Thunderblack1984
Angler
Angler
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:41 am

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:49 am

Appreciate the comparison and your thoughts! I agree these rods are different animals totally. Just received the 901S and cant wait to get it on the water. I have the Addermine, 842, 872 for shorter lengths. The one I have not tried is the AGS and wish Gary would stop talking about it because I want to order one :/ Anyone fish the 2019 zbone (xray) yet??

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:58 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:13 am
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 pm
smallies wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:36 pm
The Steez AGS is king of 7'6 spinning rods... and maybe all spinning rods in general...
Have you tried the 901 NRX?
Yes. It is a nice rod, but nowhere near as versatile as the 76MML. I find the MML more sensitive in my hands as well.
Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:16 am
I think the AGS would be a great rod but love cork and can you really beat nrx? Sweet rods
NRX are fantastic rods indeed, but yes, they can be beat :lol:
The Pond King wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:08 am
I’m glad this thread popped up. I was also thinking about getting a 7’ 6” spinning rod. Is the Steez AGS better than Conquest 902SJR in your guys’ opinions?
The Conquest 902s is a fine rod indeed. I enjoyed fishing mine while I had it. It is a strong medium power, definitely not a "finesse oriented" spinning rod. I much prefer the 76MML over the Conquest.
I do too. I think it's partly due to balance. The 901 is a specialized rod for ultralight moving presentations.

cutthroat
Angler
Angler
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:09 am

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by cutthroat » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:34 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 pm
I have a 901 and two 7'6 MML AGS rods. I agree with Gary that the 901 is a specialized stick and the Steez is more of an all arounder. Here are my thoughts on the two rods:

Tip
The tip is really light on the 901, but fast and very similar to a 820 DSR GLX that I have. It's whippy, but has a really fast recovery. The Steez tip is stiffer and not nearly as whippy. Similar recovery. I would put both rods in the fast category. They are definitely not in a 822 DSR NRX category.

Power
The 901 is a solid 1 power rod and the Steez would be a 1.5 power in G Loomis power ratings.

Ergonomics
The Steez may have the best ergonomics of any rod I have owned. It's that comfortable. 10/10. I have had 2500 Stella FJ, 3000 Exsence, and now have 4000 Tatula LTs on them. They all balanced great. The reel seat on the Steez is also really comfortable. The NRX balance is just okay. This is with a 4000 Stradic CI4 on the rod. I put a 2500 Stradic CI4 on the rod and it felt more tip heavy to me, so I'll keep the 4000 on it. The cork used by Loomis is just ok for the price point, in my opinion. I'm a cork snob though since I have been spoiled with fly rods from custom builders. Flor grade cork just feels so much better.

Guides
A lot has been said about the Recoil and AGS guide trains on both rods. I am strictly a braid to flouro guy with an FG knot and 6-10 lb braid. Both pass knots fine, but I find the AGS guides to pass them a little better. I haven't had any issues with AGS guides breaking, but I always use rod socks.

Applications
The NRX is a one trick pony for long casts with light lures. If you need a rod for marabou hair jigs, really small jig heads with single tail grubs, and the smallest floatings Rapalas this rod is for you.

The Steez is the rod to get if you need a workhorse. I use it to drop and drag 3'' Keitechs, tubes, neds, open water senko, etc. It's a great rod for open water finesse fishing except for the very lightest needs and that is where the 901 comes into play.

If you want something for both open water and tight cover like docks, I think you are better off getting an 852 NRX or Addermine. The 7'6 rods are just too long for me and I'm taller.
Fantastic info. Thanks for posting. You're reference to the "one trick pony" in regards to the 901S is what I'm looking for. I have a NRX 852 and the new GLX 822DSR so the 901 will fill that finesse slot ideally even though it will be the IMX-PRO version. A 1/16oz. Ned will be used 75% on the rod.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 am

cutthroat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:34 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 pm
I have a 901 and two 7'6 MML AGS rods. I agree with Gary that the 901 is a specialized stick and the Steez is more of an all arounder. Here are my thoughts on the two rods:

Tip
The tip is really light on the 901, but fast and very similar to a 820 DSR GLX that I have. It's whippy, but has a really fast recovery. The Steez tip is stiffer and not nearly as whippy. Similar recovery. I would put both rods in the fast category. They are definitely not in a 822 DSR NRX category.

Power
The 901 is a solid 1 power rod and the Steez would be a 1.5 power in G Loomis power ratings.

Ergonomics
The Steez may have the best ergonomics of any rod I have owned. It's that comfortable. 10/10. I have had 2500 Stella FJ, 3000 Exsence, and now have 4000 Tatula LTs on them. They all balanced great. The reel seat on the Steez is also really comfortable. The NRX balance is just okay. This is with a 4000 Stradic CI4 on the rod. I put a 2500 Stradic CI4 on the rod and it felt more tip heavy to me, so I'll keep the 4000 on it. The cork used by Loomis is just ok for the price point, in my opinion. I'm a cork snob though since I have been spoiled with fly rods from custom builders. Flor grade cork just feels so much better.

Guides
A lot has been said about the Recoil and AGS guide trains on both rods. I am strictly a braid to flouro guy with an FG knot and 6-10 lb braid. Both pass knots fine, but I find the AGS guides to pass them a little better. I haven't had any issues with AGS guides breaking, but I always use rod socks.

Applications
The NRX is a one trick pony for long casts with light lures. If you need a rod for marabou hair jigs, really small jig heads with single tail grubs, and the smallest floatings Rapalas this rod is for you.

The Steez is the rod to get if you need a workhorse. I use it to drop and drag 3'' Keitechs, tubes, neds, open water senko, etc. It's a great rod for open water finesse fishing except for the very lightest needs and that is where the 901 comes into play.

If you want something for both open water and tight cover like docks, I think you are better off getting an 852 NRX or Addermine. The 7'6 rods are just too long for me and I'm taller.
Fantastic info. Thanks for posting. You're reference to the "one trick pony" in regards to the 901S is what I'm looking for. I have a NRX 852 and the new GLX 822DSR so the 901 will fill that finesse slot ideally even though it will be the IMX-PRO version. A 1/16oz. Ned will be used 75% on the rod.
Jeff Gustafson uses the 901 IMX and really liked it when I talked to him.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by Revofisher » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:56 am

I have used the 2019 z bone spinning 7'3 medium. I ended up selling it. I really liked the rod but the guide train was kind of weird on the rod (not a great caster) the x ray blanks are really good ill say but i would go a custom route with it to get better cork and better guides than what was offered on the z bone. In the end i still liked my nrx spinning rods and the steez 7'6 ags spinning rod better than the 2019 z bone

Thunderblack1984
Angler
Angler
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:41 am

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 am

Thanks Revo. I snagged a ML and haven't fished yet but man that xray blank is pretty sweet. Agree the build has some things I would change but that NFC blank is nice for sure.

cutthroat
Angler
Angler
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:09 am

Re: 7'6" Spinning Rods

Post by cutthroat » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:30 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 am
cutthroat wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:34 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 pm
I have a 901 and two 7'6 MML AGS rods. I agree with Gary that the 901 is a specialized stick and the Steez is more of an all arounder. Here are my thoughts on the two rods:

Tip
The tip is really light on the 901, but fast and very similar to a 820 DSR GLX that I have. It's whippy, but has a really fast recovery. The Steez tip is stiffer and not nearly as whippy. Similar recovery. I would put both rods in the fast category. They are definitely not in a 822 DSR NRX category.

Power
The 901 is a solid 1 power rod and the Steez would be a 1.5 power in G Loomis power ratings.

Ergonomics
The Steez may have the best ergonomics of any rod I have owned. It's that comfortable. 10/10. I have had 2500 Stella FJ, 3000 Exsence, and now have 4000 Tatula LTs on them. They all balanced great. The reel seat on the Steez is also really comfortable. The NRX balance is just okay. This is with a 4000 Stradic CI4 on the rod. I put a 2500 Stradic CI4 on the rod and it felt more tip heavy to me, so I'll keep the 4000 on it. The cork used by Loomis is just ok for the price point, in my opinion. I'm a cork snob though since I have been spoiled with fly rods from custom builders. Flor grade cork just feels so much better.

Guides
A lot has been said about the Recoil and AGS guide trains on both rods. I am strictly a braid to flouro guy with an FG knot and 6-10 lb braid. Both pass knots fine, but I find the AGS guides to pass them a little better. I haven't had any issues with AGS guides breaking, but I always use rod socks.

Applications
The NRX is a one trick pony for long casts with light lures. If you need a rod for marabou hair jigs, really small jig heads with single tail grubs, and the smallest floatings Rapalas this rod is for you.

The Steez is the rod to get if you need a workhorse. I use it to drop and drag 3'' Keitechs, tubes, neds, open water senko, etc. It's a great rod for open water finesse fishing except for the very lightest needs and that is where the 901 comes into play.

If you want something for both open water and tight cover like docks, I think you are better off getting an 852 NRX or Addermine. The 7'6 rods are just too long for me and I'm taller.
Fantastic info. Thanks for posting. You're reference to the "one trick pony" in regards to the 901S is what I'm looking for. I have a NRX 852 and the new GLX 822DSR so the 901 will fill that finesse slot ideally even though it will be the IMX-PRO version. A 1/16oz. Ned will be used 75% on the rod.
Jeff Gustafson uses the 901 IMX and really liked it when I talked to him.
Thanks again

Post Reply