MegaBass Super Orochi XXX F5-68K

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
The Pond King
Angler
Angler

MegaBass Super Orochi XXX F5-68K

Post by The Pond King » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:48 pm

Hi guys,

I’m thinking about picking up my first MegaBass rod. I want to get a MegaBass Super Orochi XXX F5-68K. I’ve researched the living crap out of it. However, there really isn’t much information about this rod, so I’m going to have to ask the enthusiasts on this board.

I have been getting into collecting high-end jerkbaits like Lucky Craft Pointers, Duo Realis Jackall, and the coveted MegaBass Vision 110. However, I have a “need” to start getting into deep diving jerkbaits and larger sized jerkbaits such as the MegaBass Vision 110 Magnum, MegaBass Vision 110+1 and +2, LuckyCraft StaySee, LuckyCraft Point 128SP, etc.

I also want to throw 1oz topwater pencil stickbaits like the LuckyCraft Sammy 128 on this rod.

I’ve heard that this rod is versatile, and it can be used for any moving baits including spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and crankbaits as well.

Here are my questions:
  • This rod’s specifications are 6’ 8” Medium-Heavy power with a “Regular” action. What does “Regular” action mean? Does that mean Moderate?
  • How is the rods power? For example, is it really stiff like a St. Croix Medium Heavy which is actually closer to a true Heavy or is it like a true Medium Heavy 3 power G. Loomis or does it have a tip of 2 power G. Loomis but has a backbone of a 4 power. I don’t want an overly stiff broomstick of a rod but understand that that sometimes a stiff heavy power rod is necessary and ideal for fishing heavy cover or working heavier and or higher resistance baits. The reason I don’t like stiff heavy powered rods anymore is because I am a recreational fisherman. I like the rod to bend because it makes it so much for fun when fighting a fish.
  • Moreover, how is the sensitivity?
  • Also, can this rod double up and fish lighter jerkbaits like the original MegaBass Vision 110 and even smaller jerkbaits like 3/8oz sizes such as the LuckyCraft Pointer 78?
  • Can this rod handle a weight slightly over the recommended specs of 3/8-1oz? For example, can it throw a Whopper Plopper 130 that weighs 1 and 3/8ths of an ounce without a problem?
I just can’t do the MegaBass Destroyer F4.5-611X ONETEN SPECIAL because for one, it’s almost 7’. That is too long for a jerkbait in my opinion; at least, for my preference. Even the F5-68K is pushing it at 6’ 8”. Secondly, I’m not trying to drop $400+ on a Destroyer when I already went crazy bezerk buying $1000 worth of gear and tackle this past Black Friday. Instead of the MegaBass Destroyer F4.5-611X ONETEN SPECIAL, I’m going to purchase a G. Loomis Classic 6’ Medium Fast CR722 IMX to handle my lighter jerkbait needs and prefer the shorter 6’ length for jerkbaiting. It makes sense to me to have a shorter rod for jerkbaiting because you have to jerk the rod tip down and I don’t want to have to worry about the rod tip hitting any obstructions.

The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Re: MegaBass Super Orochi XXX F5-68K

Post by The Pond King » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 pm

@bronzefly aka Gary from TackleTrap,

I have been referred to you by several people that you are the foremost authority on Megabass Rods. In fact, it was through one of your posts that I first even found about the MegaBass Super Orochi XXX F5-68K.

I don't mean to inconvenience you, but if you would be so kind, could you answer my questions above?

I purposely decided to write to you here on this thread because I thought it would be win-win. The members here and I would win because we would get more information about this rod to make the right buying decisions, and you would win as more people are more informed about this MegaBass rods, they may be more inclined to buy even more MegaBass rods from you.

Cheers,
The Pond King

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: MegaBass Super Orochi XXX F5-68K

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Try sending him a PM. He is actually pretty active here but I don't think he browses the rod forum much.