Steez Bottom Contact & Shimano Poison Adrena

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez Bottom Contact & Shimano Poison Adrena

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:32 am

Thanks Gary,

I got the Steez in just now and ready to go out but I had to pull out that Poison Adrena rod
I know there is a difference in price and the bottom contact is 3" longer but I thought they would be the two that I'd like to conduct a comparison and contrast between. If you've used the Poison Adrena rod than 7'2" than I dont think I need to elaborate on how great of a rod it is.. That monocoque handle is scary and the sensitivity of the rod is really good in my opinion. But now I have the Steez Bottom contact rod and I know that many of you have it as well. I'd like to hear your findings as when it comes to PREVIOUS steez rods from all that I've read and heard there is no consensus on the sensitivity of them. But This is a totally different rod and I am excited to get out in this post cold front to go pond fishing. I can't go out on the water but I am leaving this house from Christmas Tree Decorating duties.

Again, Thanks to the Tackle Trap. And one thing that appreciate about them is that they appreciate the customer and it shows.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez Bottom Contact & Shimano Poison Adrena

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Jig guys beware, this bottom contact rod is serious!!
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:07 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:53 pm
It was made to be serious, I knew you'd get it 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:42 pm

goldrod wrote:
What size jigs?

I was really eyeing up a Racing Design but, didnt offer a long enough rod for my liking for jigs. I like the specs on the new rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Have you used the new steez yet?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:35 pm

I took the rod out today
I started with a jika rig and geecrack lure. The weight was 3/16oz not including the soft plastic, hook, swivel etc. Than I got to business and casted 1/2 rodstrainer tokar jig as far as I could and I mean bombs. I nearly always start with 1/2 jig and I could use some corny descriptions of the sensitivity and such but the rod is barebones legit. I had the same amount of feel when the lure landed at the end of the cast as I did with when it was 6 feet from me. I have mine paired with a Steez 100sha reel and 105sv spool. There is a hook hanger near the butt of the rod.

As far as jig sizes 1/2-5/8-3/4 are all what I’ve used and not football jigs.
Everyone has their take on what the action of a football jig rod should be and if your looking for a noodle tip this is not the rod for you but it’s not a broom stick either. I can’t comment on a 1oz jig because I haven’t used it. If I can feel a casting jig than certainly I can feel a football or even tungsten head jig.

I know I’ve only been with this rod a short while but you know what you know and if I were in Vegas I would put all my chips on the table on this rod.
I have not used any t rigs but you most definitely won’t be lacking anything.
I have some football shaped tungsten weights that I’m going to use with this rod. It’s better than my NRX 894 rod, hands down

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:22 pm

How does the power compair to the 894?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:00 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:42 pm
goldrod wrote:
What size jigs?

I was really eyeing up a Racing Design but, didnt offer a long enough rod for my liking for jigs. I like the specs on the new rod.
I've fished everything from 1/4 oz swim jigs in heavy grass up to 1 oz FB jigs in open water. The sweet spot with a jig is 3/8 to 3/4 in my opinion. I've fished Texas, Tokyo, Jika, but no C-rigs yet as I'm not a fan of that technique, but this rod can do it.
Obz wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:22 pm
They are somewhat similar power wise but I feel like the Steez AGS 75MH/H handles the 3/8 oz stuff better, balances better, and looks better too :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:11 am

It differs from the 894 in the balance dept for sure

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:46 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:00 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:42 pm
goldrod wrote:
What size jigs?

I've fished everything from 1/4 oz swim jigs in heavy grass up to 1 oz FB jigs in open water. The sweet spot with a jig is 3/8 to 3/4 in my opinion. I've fished Texas, Tokyo, Jika, but no C-rigs yet as I'm not a fan of that technique, but this rod can do it.
Obz wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:22 pm
They are somewhat similar power wise but I feel like the Steez AGS 75MH/H handles the 3/8 oz stuff better, balances better, and looks better too :D
I know this model is an upgraded refresh of the current Steez AGS rods. Is there a lot of difference in performance between the blue Steez AGS?
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:02 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:46 am
I know this model is an upgraded refresh of the current Steez AGS rods. Is there a lot of difference in performance between the blue Steez AGS?
I'm a big fan of the Steez AGS rods in general. This one is unique and utilizes Nanoplus Nanoalloy technology whereas no other Steez AGS rod features this technology. The rod is awfully impressive in my hands...

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Gary,

What graphite is being used in this Steez AGS bottom contact? SVF or Toray 1100G?
And what is the total weight of this rod?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:57 am

Cracker wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:57 pm
Gary,

What graphite is being used in this Steez AGS bottom contact? SVF or Toray 1100G?
SVF Nanoplus X45. Approximately 160g or 5.6 oz.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 am

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:57 am
Cracker wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:57 pm
Gary,

SVF Nanoplus X45. Approximately 160g or 5.6 oz.
Just when I thought the poison Adrena was the rod of 2019, this steez comes out. I’m surprised at the weight of the rod, would you say balance is better than the nrx 894(paired wit met mgl)? I don’t think it would replace my 894 as a jig rod BUT I do have the 873 & wouldn’t mind a longer rod. Would you say the steez action is a longer version “power wise” of the 873? Maybe the 893 on steroids action wise? I noticed the lower lure rating on my 894 starts at 5/16 & the steez lower rating starts at 1/4. Some steez rods I’ve had in the past were just slightly lighter than their rating. Would this rod be a “upgraded replacement” of my 873 if I was using it for 1/4 & 5/16oz t-rig with the occasional 3/8oz jig?

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:09 am

yes this for sure would be an up-graded version of the 873 but more powerful

its better balanced, better fit and finish

i would bet it replaces your 894 :big grin: