Steez Bottom Contact & Shimano Poison Adrena

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez Bottom Contact & Shimano Poison Adrena

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:25 am

bbates3 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:09 am
yes this for sure would be an up-graded version of the 873 but more powerful

its better balanced, better fit and finish

i would bet it replaces your 894 :big grin:
X2
You can resist but once you get the rod the 894 will cease to exist
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:57 am

Hennessy wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:53 am
bronzefly wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:57 am
Cracker wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:57 pm
Gary,

What graphite is being used in this Steez AGS bottom contact? SVF or Toray 1100G?
And what is the total weight of this rod?
SVF Nanoplus X45. Approximately 160g or 5.6 oz.
Just when I thought the poison Adrena was the rod of 2019, this steez comes out. I’m surprised at the weight of the rod, would you say balance is better than the nrx 894(paired wit met mgl)? I don’t think it would replace my 894 as a jig rod BUT I do have the 873 & wouldn’t mind a longer rod. Would you say the steez action is a longer version “power wise” of the 873? Maybe the 893 on steroids action wise? I noticed the lower lure rating on my 894 starts at 5/16 & the steez lower rating starts at 1/4. Some steez rods I’ve had in the past were just slightly lighter than their rating. Would this rod be a “upgraded replacement” of my 873 if I was using it for 1/4 & 5/16oz t-rig with the occasional 3/8oz jig?
In my experience with steez ags and steez racing design rods they balance completely differently than nrx's, they are way way less tip heavy. It enables you to pair the rod with a much lighter reel without sacrificing balance

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 am

fishes wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:57 am
Hennessy wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Cracker wrote:
Gary,

What graphite is being used in this Steez AGS bottom contact? SVF or Toray 1100G?
Just when I thought the poison Adrena was the rod of 2019, this steez comes out. I’m surprised at the weight of the rod, would you say balance is better than the nrx 894(paired wit met mgl)? I don’t think it would replace my 894 as a jig rod BUT I do have the 873 & wouldn’t mind a longer rod. Would you say the steez action is a longer version “power wise” of the 873? Maybe the 893 on steroids action wise? I noticed the lower lure rating on my 894 starts at 5/16 & the steez lower rating starts at 1/4. Some steez rods I’ve had in the past were just slightly lighter than their rating. Would this rod be a “upgraded replacement” of my 873 if I was using it for 1/4 & 5/16oz t-rig with the occasional 3/8oz jig?
In my experience with steez ags and steez racing design rods they balance completely differently than nrx's, they are way way less tip heavy. It enables you to pair the rod with a much lighter reel without sacrificing balance

I wonder how does the bottom contact compare to the racing design?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:16 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:11 am
fishes wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:57 am
Hennessy wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Cracker wrote:
Gary,

I wonder how does the bottom contact compare to the racing design?
I was wondering that as well. I think the steez ags rods are pretty close to the racing design rods in terms of sensitivity though the racing designs are a bit lighter. I really really want to try the bottom contact though because I suspect its a bit closer to racing design performance.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:59 pm

I think the Racing Design uses Toray 1100 carbon and the handle seems similar. No cork on the AGS. I've only thrown mine in the yard (dagnabbit this weather). When I took it out of the tube, I thought, ugh, did I just buy an expensive broom stick. I've been using a Zbone MH Mod Fast for my bottom contact, so the Steez is a lot beefer/stiffer.

My rod weighs in at 5.0oz vs. the Zbone at 3.5. The Zbone is rated to only 3/4 though and is 7’3” compared to the 7’5” Steez. Did I think the Steez was heavy? Yes. Was it noticeable when I had a reel on it? Nope. Did it feel tip heavy? Not to me.

Anyway, put a 3/8 plug on it, went outside with (sorry Gary), pretty low expectations. The first cast blew me away. and the second, third, etc. Throwing into a light breeze, with minimum effort, I was getting distance of about 35 - 40 yards (measured the yard earlier this summer). It just launched that plug. Took me by surprise. The handle is thinner than the Fuji ECS reel seats and it is very comfortable. I am used to the AGS foam and this didn't disappoint. Handle length is perfect.

Seems as sensitive as the Xray blank. I know my 76MML is super sensitive so I'm not worried on that front. :D So yeah, I'm stoked. I've been through a list of rods looking for that perfect jig rod... found it.

This is the Bottom Contact rod with a Steez A (ZPI PG spool halfway loaded with 15# Tatsu):
IMG_0650.jpeg
IMG_0650.jpeg (37.9 KiB) Viewed 5119 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:12 pm

scrapiron wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:59 pm
I think the Racing Design uses Toray 1100 carbon and the handle seems similar. No cork on the AGS. I've only thrown mine in the yard (dagnabbit this weather). When I took it out of the tube, I thought, ugh, did I just buy an expensive broom stick. I've been using a Zbone MH Mod Fast for my bottom contact, so the Steez is a lot beefer/stiffer.

My rod weighs in at 5.0oz vs. the Zbone at 3.5. The Zbone is rated to only 3/4 though and is 7’3” compared to the 7’5” Steez. Did I think the Steez was heavy? Yes. Was it noticeable when I had a reel on it? Nope. Did it feel tip heavy? Not to me.

Anyway, put a 3/8 plug on it, went outside with (sorry Gary), pretty low expectations. The first cast blew me away. and the second, third, etc. Throwing into a light breeze, with minimum effort, I was getting distance of about 35 - 40 yards (measured the yard earlier this summer). It just launched that plug. Took me by surprise. The handle is thinner than the Fuji ECS reel seats and it is very comfortable. I am used to the AGS foam and this didn't disappoint. Handle length is perfect.

Seems as sensitive as the Xray blank. I know my 76MML is super sensitive so I'm not worried on that front. :D So yeah, I'm stoked. I've been through a list of rods looking for that perfect jig rod... found it.

This is the Bottom Contact rod with a Steez A (ZPI PG spool halfway loaded with 15# Tatsu):

IMG_0650.jpeg

I have a 7’3” zBone
1/2- 1 1/2 heavy xfast paired with a D7
It’s pretty good and doesn’t seem tip heavy. I use it for bottom contact stuff.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:28 am

fishes wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:16 am
I was wondering that as well. I think the steez ags rods are pretty close to the racing design rods in terms of sensitivity though the racing designs are a bit lighter. I really really want to try the bottom contact though because I suspect its a bit closer to racing design performance.
I have only one Racing Design rod, the 701MH/H. It is lighter than the Steez AGS 75MH/H Bottom Contact in overall weight, and in terms of sensitivity, they are both among the best I've ever used.
scrapiron wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Bam! :lol:

Thank you so much for the detailed and honest thoughts on the rod!! The concept for this rod was focused on being just that, a world class jig/bottom contact rod. It wasn't designed with the what I call the 'race to the bottom' concept where the focus is overall weight reduction at all costs rather than fishability, comfort, and balance. In my hands, this rod achieves a high level of those attributes while being exceptionally sensitive.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:27 am

Here's a completed combo sent in by a customer, wow!! Steez A 90mm carbon fiber handle and lots of ZPI goodies installed...

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Gary,

I have a IS79 ZPI PG spool on one and the Steez SHA with the SV105 on the other.
Im going to try some skips next week with it. Seem like the reels that are lower to the reel seat feel the best.
I initially wanted to put and IP79 on it but it just wasn't as comfortable as the lower steez profile for my hands. Has anyone tried to skip with this rod?
Wondering how it felt for skipping? I’m no expert and my skipping ambition far exceeds my talent but I keep trying. 😂

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:16 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:55 pm
Gary,

I have a IS79 ZPI PG spool on one and the Steez SHA with the SV105 on the other.
Im going to try some skips next week with it. Seem like the reels that are lower to the reel seat feel the best.
I initially wanted to put and IP79 on it but it just wasn't as comfortable as the lower steez profile for my hands. Has anyone tried to skip with this rod?
Wondering how it felt for skipping? I’m no expert and my skipping ambition far exceeds my talent but I keep trying. 😂
I have not tried an IS specifically on the new rod. I have a Steez A on one of them and a Steez SV TW on the other, they both feel and look fantastic on there.

Skipping is something I haven't tried on it. I prefer a shorter rod for skipping, but knowing the rod well, I have no doubt that it would do a good job with a 1/2 oz jig for example.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap