F5-75X7 Extreme Mission

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

F5-75X7 Extreme Mission

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Anyone Trig with it? How heavy of a weight have you used ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: F5-75X7 Extreme Mission

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:03 pm

3/8 - 1/2 is the sweet spot. At 3/4 is where I start thinking. At 1oz I find it a little scary whip casting since the X7EM has a soft tip. Plenty of backbone power though. It's an excellent moderate cover weightless senko rod too IMO.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:26 am

Bass1980 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:03 pm
3/8 - 1/2 is the sweet spot. At 3/4 is where I start thinking. At 1oz I find it a little scary whip casting since the X7EM has a soft tip. Plenty of backbone power though. It's an excellent moderate cover weightless senko rod too IMO.
Totally unrelated but relevant

I was putting away my shoes and I realized that I don’t have a lot of shoes but they are all of high quality and comfortable. 3 pairs of Running shoes for example, that I only run in. they get cycled and eventually one will drop of as I get a new pair.
I looked at my rod racks and had and epiphany
What if I took the same approach with my fishing equipment. Some of it is just nostalgia and some discontinued but was great.
So I started looking at the technique specific rod that were simply that. Next up was the rods that were so versatile that I could sell off a few things and still have the base covered. I like the Extreme Mission a lot but I was wondering how much bang for the buck was I getting. So I have been trying to justify keeping this stick around. It’s paired like all the other X7‘s with a SV103xs and some sort of aftermarket spool.
2020 is the year of the purge so most of my stuff is on the chopping block.
I like the rod as I mentioned earlier, now I’m just trying to justify its place on the rack.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:35 am

I use this rod primarily for t-rigs in 3/8Oz (and occasionally 1/2Oz plus trailer), also Carolina rigs 3/8-3/4Oz plus trailer.
Like this rod a lot, better balanced and more sensitive than Loomis NRX.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Cracker wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:35 am
I use this rod primarily for t-rigs in 3/8Oz (and occasionally 1/2Oz plus trailer), also Carolina rigs 3/8-3/4Oz plus trailer.
Like this rod a lot, better balanced and more sensitive than Loomis NRX.
Your spot on with balance and sensitivity but I have to say that since I put my Antares HG on my 894 ( still got the but cap on it ) I like it A LOT MORE.
I went out with both today came back with a bruised ego and zero bites.
There was a guy at the dock asking if I wanted some fish. I asked was he fishing for bass and he was like yes. He informed me that he caught his fish trolling a rapala.
Wife must knew it was a hard day for me because she had a mighty good meal awaiting. I haven’t tried this rod for C-Rigs but I’ll definitely give it a shoot.
The Steez HLC spool inside the SV103xs bombs just about everything and I’m using Berkeley Big Game. I have used it for showerblows with great success.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:26 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:26 am
Bass1980 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:03 pm
Totally unrelated but relevant

I was putting away my shoes and I realized that I don’t have a lot of shoes but they are all of high quality and comfortable. 3 pairs of Running shoes for example, that I only run in. they get cycled and eventually one will drop of as I get a new pair.
I looked at my rod racks and had and epiphany
What if I took the same approach with my fishing equipment. Some of it is just nostalgia and some discontinued but was great.
So I started looking at the technique specific rod that were simply that. Next up was the rods that were so versatile that I could sell off a few things and still have the base covered. I like the Extreme Mission a lot but I was wondering how much bang for the buck was I getting. So I have been trying to justify keeping this stick around. It’s paired like all the other X7‘s with a SV103xs and some sort of aftermarket spool.
2020 is the year of the purge so most of my stuff is on the chopping block.
I like the rod as I mentioned earlier, now I’m just trying to justify its place on the rack.
A couple weeks ago I got the urge to get rid of almost all of my rods. I am thinking of getting rid of all but a few rods and getting a couple new rods with the goal of having only one or two rods of each power which are all under 7' (I live in an apartment in a large city so its a pain getting longer rods out of the building and to my car). Something about the simplicity of just a few very high quality combos is very attractive to me.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:29 am

Jorrick, I love mine for throwing Fat Ikas. I have used it for T-rigging other creature baits but I really like it for the Ika, my buddy turned me on to the EM and he also uses his for the Fat Ika.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 am

Winstondry wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:29 am
Jorrick, I love mine for throwing Fat Ikas. I have used it for T-rigging other creature baits but I really like it for the Ika, my buddy turned me on to the EM and he also uses his for the Fat Ika.
Thanks man but you got me thinking
What line size are you using just in general with that rod and how are you fishing the fat ika?

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 am
Winstondry wrote:
What line size are you using just in general with that rod and how are you fishing the fat ika?
10-12lb Tatsu, just dragging the Ika on the bottom.

scooterb
Angler
Angler

Post by scooterb » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:35 pm

I've thrown all kinds of lures on my EMTF including medium diving cranks, chatterbaits, underspins, and senkos. Surprisingly, it does all those very well. I can launch a River to Sea Tactical crank and that's 3/4oz. It doesn't feel under powered at all doing so. At the same time, I've pitched and casted weightless 6 inch Senkos very comfortably. It's a pretty versatile rod for me.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:37 am

Winstondry wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 am
goldrod wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 am
Winstondry wrote:
10-12lb Tatsu, just dragging the Ika on the bottom.
Somewhat unrelated to this thread but how are you fishing that Ika? Weightless? T-Rigged? On a jighead? I've heard good things and have a pack somewhere but have only fished them once or twice without luck. I always revert to a beaver or some type of creature bait. This thread reminded me that I need to put in more time with the Ika.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:30 pm

I fish the Ika weightless, big hook is often enough weight to get the bait down pretty easy, and I just fish it like a T-rig worm, slowly dragging it on the bottom or through brush. Very effective bait. If it’s windy and I’m having a hard time feeling the line, I sometimes put a tungsten nail weigh in the bottom. Most of the time it produces better fish, but the small ones will eat ‘em too.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:20 pm

can somebody post the balancing point of this rod with a reel mounted? thx