JDM Shimano vs USDM Gloomis Comparisons

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

JDM Shimano vs USDM Gloomis Comparisons

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 am

Haven’t been able to find many direct comparisons across the Shimano range of rods vs Gloomis offerings. Mostly regarding the quality of the blanks and components, NOT looking to get into a debate about styling and/or build quality. I’ve seen some component details here and there on specific lines but I’m curious to see the tiers side by side. I understand this is probably speculation based on price ranges but I’ll throw this out for correction as a starting point:

Shimano Poison Ultima roughly Gloomis Conquest?
Poison Glorious roughly GLX or NRX? Unclear?
Poison Adrena roughly IMX?

Does this seem reasonable?

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM Shimano vs USDM Gloomis Comparisons

Post by Hulkster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:36 am

for one thing, the USDM G. Loomis rods will all have hook keepers. I dont think any of the JDM shimano rods do.

that would drive me crazy, to me, buying a rod without a built in hook keeper is like buying a car without cruise control. :D

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 am

I dont think the poison adrena and poison glorious rods have a direct comparison in the Loomis lineup. Mostly because they have a different blank construction than the Loomis rods (except the conquest),they have the "high power x" construction.

About the conquest/poison Ultima comparison: I would love to hear more from folks who own both rods ive been really curious about how those two series compare.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:20 am

Agreed, Ultima seems higher regarded than Conquest in my searching. Wish they had more models though. I’m not saying the Glorious and GLX are identical blanks but seem to be in the same ballpark of cost/quality based on their price tiers. I’m not sure I’ve seen any argument they’re similar to NRX, unlike the Ultima/Conquest obvious blank similarities. There are a TON of Glorious models that cover an impressive swath of applications from BFS all the way up to several Swimbait models, many don’t seem to have any peers elsewhere in either Shimano/Gloomis lineup. A Poison Glorious 7’6” rated to 300 grams is quite the interesting Swimbait rod. Just for example.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:41 am

Also the reason I point out the Poison Glorious 176XXH-SB is because it’s listed as 147 grams and the Conquest 905C is 151 grams. Seems to defy belief that that’s even possible!

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:29 pm

Based on like 1 video I saw, the *new* Poison Adrena is more sensitive than the Poison Glorious and is closer to GLX level, possibly approaching NRX. As far as build quality goes, I've read quite a few complaints about the GLX and even NRX. No such complaints about the new PA.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:05 pm

I have a conquest 904c and an ultima 172h. I’d say they’re pretty close in sensitivity; maybe slight nod to the ultima. But not a massive difference in my hands.

I will also say that I’ve been sort of surprised by how much is said about new model adrena sensitivity. I bought the 172h from Japan before the US release. Sold the rod, which I kind of regret. But, I was not blown away by the sensitivity. It was good I’d say. I don’t know; guess it’s just me because post after post guys seem to be really impressed. Maybe I should try a different model. Also, the grip didn’t seem to jive with the way I handle a rod. It slipped out of my hand on a few occasions; once after hookset. Twice I jumped in the water after it. I did like the rod; just was not blown away.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm

How’s the power/action compare on the 904C vs 172H? I’ve looked at that Ultima so many times since it came out but just feel like it’s going to end up being more medium-heavy than I’m hoping for in a heavy cover rod.

I’m also surprised by the Adrena vs Glorious feedback since the Glorious is clearly in a much higher price tier of the same family tree. I think there’s some USDM availability bias built into the comparisons but that’s just my hunch. Adrena sure seems like a great relative value based on the performance reviews. Seems like Ultima/Conquest share obvious similarity but Glorious is sort of in no mans land. Those XH and XXH Glorious options are still on my short list though, not many JDM rods with those specs vs weight with style to boot, that’s for sure.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:07 pm

bwjay wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:29 pm
Based on like 1 video I saw, the *new* Poison Adrena is more sensitive than the Poison Glorious and is closer to GLX level, possibly approaching NRX. As far as build quality goes, I've read quite a few complaints about the GLX and even NRX. No such complaints about the new PA.
Can you post a link?

I own and fish all the rods mentioned excluding the Ultima. They are not all of the same power but I have used each rod for bottom contact baits with fluorocarbon at some point. If I had to rank them in terms of sensitivity

NRX over Conquest
Conquest equal to Poison Glorious
The above more sensitive than GLX
GLX slightly more sensitive than the older Adrena
New Adrena just as sensitive as GLX, perhaps a notch down

The PG has Spiral X and Hi Power X which is also found in the Conquest. The Adrenas are Spiral X only. The new Adrena feels more sensitive than the older one probably due solely to the handle. I will say the line blurs at NRX/Conquest/PG level in regards to which is more sensitive. Sensitivity itself is subjective, and noting that the rods mentioned that I fish aren't of the same power nor taper, I didn't even want to rank them ](*,) but I feel that is a decent arrangement. I don't think you'll miss any bites with any of the rods mentioned. Also, the Shimano rods balance way better than any G Loomis I've ever owned.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:03 am

Hulkster wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:36 am
for one thing, the USDM G. Loomis rods will all have hook keepers. I dont think any of the JDM shimano rods do.

that would drive me crazy, to me, buying a rod without a built in hook keeper is like buying a car without cruise control. :D
interesting. i wish all of my rods did not have built in hook keepers after owning my first that didnt. i actually removed one on one of my rods. to me its like buying a car with factory pinstripe :)

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 am

Mike son wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:07 pm
bwjay wrote:
Can you post a link?
I'm not sure which video it was in, honestly. I think it was from THE REEL TEST and you really gotta take what he says with a grain of salt, but, he did have both rods in his hands (PG and new PA). Except now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure he had an Expride A (not new PA) and said that it felt more sensitive to him than his PG.

This is probably the video I'm thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjbizWpbOY
Last edited by bwjay on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:08 am

Cranky wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm
How’s the power/action compare on the 904C vs 172H? I’ve looked at that Ultima so many times since it came out but just feel like it’s going to end up being more medium-heavy than I’m hoping for in a heavy cover rod.

I’m also surprised by the Adrena vs Glorious feedback since the Glorious is clearly in a much higher price tier of the same family tree. I think there’s some USDM availability bias built into the comparisons but that’s just my hunch. Adrena sure seems like a great relative value based on the performance reviews. Seems like Ultima/Conquest share obvious similarity but Glorious is sort of in no mans land. Those XH and XXH Glorious options are still on my short list though, not many JDM rods with those specs vs weight with style to boot, that’s for sure.
I'd say that the Ultima 172H is close to a 4 power in traditional loomis terms (maybe a hair under). However, it has a slower tip than the 904 that's more progressive with loading. The 904 is the traditional mag bass taper. Considering the slower tip and progressive taper, overall the 172H Ultima does play a more MH position in my line up. I had to get used to fishing the taper of the ultima at first, but I fell in love with it. It's one of my favorite rods. But, it's not the rod I prefer in heavy cover situations.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:43 am

Really appreciate the Ultima comparison. As much as I’m itching to get that 172H I’m going to need to go elsewhere to fill a heavy cover role. I have a feeling I’m going to explore the Glorious range for a heavy cover rod. If they’re somewhere between the GLX to NRX spectrum I think they’ll offer something really hard to find in either company’s lineup. XH and XXH rods in that weight class with Poison fit and finish are just too attractive to ignore.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am

bwjay wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 am
Mike son wrote:
bwjay wrote:
Can you post a link?
I'm not sure which video it was in, honestly. I think it was from THE REEL TEST and you really gotta take what he says with a grain of salt, but, he did have both rods in his hands (PG and new PA). Except now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure he had an Expride A (not new PA) and said that it felt more sensitive to him than his PG.
This is probably the video I'm thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqjbizWpbOY
THE REEL TEST does not have any rods from current PG series. He says the Expride A almost the same as NRX.

I own Ultima with new handle (Full Carbon Monocoque), way better than NRX.
My ranking:
1. Ultima
2. PG with new handle (Full Carbon Monocoque)
3. Standard PG
4. New Adrena / NRX

Ultima has better graphite than Poison Glorious according to my Shimano Japan sources.
Same applies to PG compare Adrena. As it

P.S. Never owned GLX or Conquest, can't say anything on that.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 am

Cracker wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am
bwjay wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:53 am
Mike son wrote:
bwjay wrote:
Can you post a link?
THE REEL TEST does not have any rods from current PG series. He says the Expride A almost the same as NRX.

I own Ultima with new handle (Full Carbon Monocoque), way better than NRX.
My ranking:
1. Ultima
2. PG with new handle (Full Carbon Monocoque)
3. Standard PG
4. New Adrena / NRX

Ultima has better graphite than Poison Glorious according to my Shimano Japan sources.
Same applies to PG compare Adrena. As it

P.S. Never owned GLX or Conquest, can't say anything on that.
You'd really put the new PA on par with an NRX eh? I feel like the people equating it to an IMX-PRO/GLX are maybe just in denial... lol. I haven't tried any of them but I have heard that the PA is stupid sensitive especially due to the handle.