Does the Phenix Feather tickle in the right places?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Does the Phenix Feather tickle in the right places?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 pm

I'm considering building a new rod on a Feather blank. How would rate and describe the production models.. Entirely in reference to the blanks? Is it crispy and alive - good or great in it's price bracket? How does it compare to the newest Phenix Recon? Lighter.. More sensitive? Is it closer to the Ultra mbx? Lay it on me - what do ya know

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Does the Phenix Feather tickle in the right places?

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:36 am

Friends of mine have built 77MH and H.

As far as i know butt section is very "fat", but wall are paper thin. Heavy were 480g RDA, medium heavy something ~400g. Very light blanks.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:00 am

Hog- I have the 7’1 Light. Sort of a mag BFS rod. Really like it for the money. I would say the taper is similar to the Gen 1 recon I had. Sort of a moderate/Fast. Seems like it flexes about 1/4 to 1/3 or the rod before the backbone kicks in. I toss ned rigs and smaller 1/8- 1/4 oz baits on it and I have zero complaints. Most of what I am using are baits that maintain constant movement so I am not sure on the sensitivity. They are incredibly light and they look visually appealing as well

The only thing I find odd is just how thick the butt section of the rod is. The diameter is very thick almost like what you would find on say a MH rod.

I think I bought mine new during a TW 20% off sale for under $120. For that price it is worth it for sure.

A very good value rod that performs above it is price range and is crazy lightweight. They just fish a bit lighter than their ratings for some models but I found my 7’1 Light to be pretty true to spec

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:07 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:00 am
Hog- I have the 7’1 Light. Sort of a mag BFS rod. Really like it for the money. I would say the taper is similar to the Gen 1 recon I had. Sort of a moderate/Fast. Seems like it flexes about 1/4 to 1/3 or the rod before the backbone kicks in. I toss ned rigs and smaller 1/8- 1/4 oz baits on it and I have zero complaints. Most of what I am using are baits that maintain constant movement so I am not sure on the sensitivity. They are incredibly light and they look visually appealing as well

The only thing I find odd is just how thick the butt section of the rod is. The diameter is very thick almost like what you would find on say a MH rod.

I think I bought mine new during a TW 20% off sale for under $120. For that price it is worth it for sure.

A very good value rod that performs above it is price range and is crazy lightweight. They just fish a bit lighter than their ratings for some models but I found my 7’1 Light to be pretty true to spec
How heavy would you say your ned rigs are? Is 1/4 oz about as heavy as you throw with this rod? Thanks

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:22 am

I use a TRD or similar plastic depending on my mood plus the 1/10 oz head. Not sure what the total weight is but guessing around or just under 1/4 oz

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:55 am

It is a tapered blank. Almost similar to the technology of the new M1. The blank flares wide at the grip area. This helps with balance and increases sensitivity. You can see the taper in the blank in the pics on the website. Extremely light blanks. https://phenixrods.com/product/feather- ... ory=blanks
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:46 am

Maybe kinda like the monocoque handle?

Wonder if one could get away with no grips? Would take shaving/tapering the reelseat for it to be a smooth transition.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:33 pm

I had a Gen 1 Recon 6’8” L/F that I foolishly sold and man I regretted it the instant the rod left my hands. If the Feather rods are The same power/taper then I may have to pick one up to replace it.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:33 pm
I had a Gen 1 Recon 6’8” L/F that I foolishly sold and man I regretted it the instant the rod left my hands. If the Feather rods are The same power/taper then I may have to pick one up to replace it.
Kinda my thoughts as well. If the blanks are lighter with a slightly faster tip section, and a little more sensitive, I might have to build one. Maybe Vince can chime back in to describe how the Feather and Recon compare and contrast :big grin: