G. Loomis rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

G. Loomis rods

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:36 am

Hey guys, let me start off by saying I really enjoy fishing Loomis rods and have several from baitcasting to fly rods. Recently I have purchased a few NRX rods and a conquest and have notice a reoccurring issue and its been kind of frustrating. I received 3 rods that had the main guide epoxy making a ticking noise when fished or even moved (small crack or bubbles), a nrx with a crooked blank, epoxy issues on a nrx and baitcaster top guide, threads that are sloppy, and guides that are not straight. G. Loomis has a great warranty and I have always been impressed with their customer service but has anyone else been noticing this? Not here to bash since a majority of my line up is G. Loomis but when I order other rods in this price range they typically don't have defects (destroyer, expride, ect…) I know rods are tools and they all work for catching fish but wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks
Philippians 4:6

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: G. Loomis rods

Post by bwjay » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:50 am

These types of build quality issues (that I've read about many times) are basically the only thing keeping me from buying a GLX/NRX. It's a shame considering how expensive they are.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:19 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:36 am
Hey guys, let me start off by saying I really enjoy fishing Loomis rods and have several from baitcasting to fly rods. Recently I have purchased a few NRX rods and a conquest and have notice a reoccurring issue and its been kind of frustrating. I received 3 rods that had the main guide epoxy making a ticking noise when fished or even moved (small crack or bubbles), a nrx with a crooked blank, epoxy issues on a nrx and baitcaster top guide, threads that are sloppy, and guides that are not straight. G. Loomis has a great warranty and I have always been impressed with their customer service but has anyone else been noticing this? Not here to bash since a majority of my line up is G. Loomis but when I order other rods in this price range they typically don't have defects (destroyer, expride, ect…) I know rods are tools and they all work for catching fish but wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks
This has been discussed at length here already. The QC on those rods leaves a LOT to be desired. That's why I would never buy a G. Loomis rod. [-X
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:17 pm

I own 4 NRX rods and 1 GLX, all my guides and blanks are strait.

There is a few super small bubbles in the epoxy here and there, but other then that my rods have been amazing.

While the builds are not as nice as Megabass they are surprisingly more sensitive IMO and I love them :big grin:

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 am

Have to agree, there are better build qualities out there but you’re not going to beat the performance/availability/warranty of NRX/GLX. They’re everywhere and there’s a reason so many ppl use NRX/GLX as a benchmark of sensitivity. 99.999% of anglers buying them just fish them and don’t even know/care about the details you mention.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:43 am

Thanks guys. I'm sure its probably been discussed before and sorry for a repeat. I agree I've fished them hard for yrs. I just noticed on a few more recent purchases and was curious. My GLX rods have been great. Noticed more on the nrx and conquest line. Appreciate it.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:00 am

got over 20 nrx/conquest and i do not notice any issues with regards to sound or epoxy issue. i did have one handle fail and got a replacement in a week.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:22 am

I noticed the guide issue with newer Torzite Fuji guides. Typically the larges guide. I have had 5 rods so far that would click so loud it was very noticeable. This was spinning only not casting.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:06 am

Nothing against you Thunderblack, but we need a "beating a dead horse" emoji on TT for Shimano/Loomis quality control threads. :lol: This topic seems to come up over and over again. Their stuff is so overpriced that they are getting away with it. I hope that enough people read these threads to stop the insanity. ](*,)

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:47 am

I get it. Sorry, I have not been a member long and haven't seen too many past threads. I'll take a look. Thanks

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:37 am

I have been very fortunate as well with my NRX's. No issues and they have held up well. I think all but 1 were rep samples so I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP. Honestly, I purchased them for the sensitivity and they deliver that. I have a bunch of MB rods that are prettier but not near as sensitive.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:04 pm

This is a known issue. If you do a search on here, you’ll find a thread that I posted a year or two ago about it. I ended up talking to the President of Shimano USA and he took care of it personally. If he knows about it, then I would have to think everyone in the company knows about it. I really wish they would just sell the blanks so other guides could be used and assembled by a custom builder. There are some real sweetheart blanks in the NRX lineup though.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:04 pm

It seems like all rod companies have QC issues. I have a NRX, glx, a handful of st.croix rods, and a kistler. No problems so far with any of my USA gear, but I've seen plenty of posts where someone has had multiple problems with each of those rod makers. I had 2 MB destroyers snap, 2 with epoxy freeing from the lock nut and a Steez I sent back because of minor epoxy drip. I was pretty butt hurt about buying stuff produced in China and surprised to find most JDM rods are made in China. I suppose if they back up their product and send you a new one It's not such a big deal. What I find interesting is that a lot of people only have problems with one company. Maybe buying them from the same dealer around the same time you can just get a bad run in production.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:19 pm

I agree. It can happen with any company for sure. I just have more Loomis rods then others.

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 pm

I did not buy my Loomis rods because they were pretty. For me, it’s all about the performance. And my NRX’s do perform! For that matter, so do my Megabass moving bait rods.