EVA handles ... yea or nay ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

EVA handles ... yea or nay ?

Post by uljersey » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:16 pm

There's a thread going in the maintenance forum about care and feeding of them and it got me thinking. I'm not a fan of them at all. My first preference is cork. The only non cork handle material I like (actually like it a lot) is Fenwick's TAC material they use on some models. EVA does absolutely nothing for me performance wise or aesthetically. What's your take ?

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: EVA handles ... yea or nay ?

Post by 4g63power » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:00 pm

Personal preference. I like the way eva looks and feels. Now all my rods are eva, no cork knobs on any of my reels. Cork does nothing for me, nothing wrong with them.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 pm

same. love eva looks & feel.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 pm

Yay on reel knobs (although I use cork for some of those, as well), nay on rods (unless it's a rod that I clamp under my arm for a long time, i.e. swimbait rods). I like cork better for casting because cork generally has a bit more texture than EVA. Easier to feel the grip and hold on with bomber casts as I switch hands and transfer the entire weight of the rod one hand holding the butt section.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:03 am

All EVA and Carbon for me. I prefer the feel of it, and it doesn't start to look like I wiped my butt with it after use. As for performance, I don't think we'd notice much of a difference, all other things being equal. I feel like I've responded to this same thread multiple times :-k

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:26 am

Big fan of good quality Cork... Non of that Cork that's got big gaps and rough as that falls apart and needs filling. Talking AAAA grade.

Hyper or Eva I have on a lot of rods but as mentioned before it needs cleaning so often as it absorbs skin oil's, fish slime and so on. Goes shiny on one side of the grip where the palm rests primarily. You can definitely tell a right or lefty rod user from the grips alone.

Carbon I haven't had any care for since feeling it on a couple home wrapped and some Edge rods... Too lifeless and hard.

Personal choice but I think there's something endearing and individual with good quality cork like OG Daiwa Knobs.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:50 am

Chode wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:32 pm
same. love eva looks & feel.
Same here. I think cork looks nicer initially, but it goes downhill quickly, even if you're careful with it. After 1 season of use, a beautiful cork-handle rod isnt so beautiful anymore. EVA doesn't show wear or dirt nearly as much, which is why most of my rods are EVA.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 am

Hi, I’m the one weirdo who likes rubberized cork. I have a Kuying rod with rubberized cork grips and man I love the way it feels, especially with wet hands.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:13 am

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:26 am
Big fan of good quality Cork... Non of that Cork that's got big gaps and rough as that falls apart and needs filling. Talking AAAA grade.

Hyper or Eva I have on a lot of rods but as mentioned before it needs cleaning so often as it absorbs skin oil's, fish slime and so on. Goes shiny on one side of the grip where the palm rests primarily. You can definitely tell a right or lefty rod user from the grips alone.

Carbon I haven't had any care for since feeling it on a couple home wrapped and some Edge rods... Too lifeless and hard.

Personal choice but I think there's something endearing and individual with good quality cork like OG Daiwa Knobs.
Well said, that pretty much sums it up for me. While I apply U40 to my cork annually after a thorough cleaning, I don’t mind the normal wear and tear of well earned ‘personality’ blemishes that come with extended use.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:52 am

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:29 am
Hi, I’m the one weirdo who likes rubberized cork. I have a Kuying rod with rubberized cork grips and man I love the way it feels, especially with wet hands.
That sounds like the Fenwick TAC material I mentioned. Fantastic stuff IMO.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 am

I prefer quality cork, but it is expensive. Eva shows use a lot harder, this is why i do not really like it. I have no problem using either, it is just eva gets ugly really fast.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 am

I prefer top notch Eva on rods over top notch cork, but beggars can’t be choosers ;) . OG Cork knobs all day even with Eva handles.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:27 pm

domthewon wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:08 am
I prefer top notch Eva on rods over top notch cork, but beggars can’t be choosers ;) . OG Cork knobs all day even with Eva handles.
That's just it. There's different qualities of Eva, just like cork. Even more so with carbon. As mentioned above, the stuff nfc uses is garbage.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:36 pm

One more reason I like cork is that I can feel its actual legacy. The quality of cork improves with each harvest of the tree, and cork trees are only harvested every 9 years after an initial 25 year growth period. (Which makes old cork trees incredibly valuable because they produce the best cork.)

When I get a rod with premium cork (talking NRX-level stuff) I know that that tree was first harvested at least 45 years ago, and is definitely older than I am. There's just something awesome about that. EVA feels much more generic and anonymous and industrial in comparison.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:58 pm

I prefer full cork, but tend look more at function of the rod than the handle material.