EVA handles ... yea or nay ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: EVA handles ... yea or nay ?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:36 pm
One more reason I like cork is that I can feel its actual legacy. The quality of cork improves with each harvest of the tree, and cork trees are only harvested every 9 years after an initial 25 year growth period. (Which makes old cork trees incredibly valuable because they produce the best cork.)

When I get a rod with premium cork (talking NRX-level stuff) I know that that tree was first harvested at least 45 years ago, and is definitely older than I am. There's just something awesome about that. EVA feels much more generic and anonymous and industrial in comparison.
I have to admit, that's pretty cool, and a good reason for the preference.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:43 pm

I prefer cork with rod wrap on it. I figured out it wasn't the texture of the cork that I liked, but the hardness. I played racquetball when I was younger, and I like my rod handles to feel tacky and hard like a racquet handle. A racquet with a foam handle would cost you control unless it was rock hard foam

slipknot6
Angler
Angler

Post by slipknot6 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:44 am

Nay. Give me cork all day.

CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CheezusCrust » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:07 am

Cork is best.EVA looks and feels cheap.

I Clean my cork with a toothbrush and regular whitening toothpaste.It makes is look brand new again.

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm

I much prefer cork, but that won't stop me from buying a rod with EVA grips if I like the rod. it's more that I'm even happier when I find a rod I like and it has cork grips.
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:36 pm

CheezusCrust wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:07 am
Cork is best.EVA looks and feels cheap.

I Clean my cork with a toothbrush and regular whitening toothpaste.It makes is look brand new again.
You could probably use a magic eraser and get close to the same results.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47 pm

High quality cork is unmatched, it's not even close for me if I had the choice.

EVA
Economic value added (EVA) is a measure of a company's financial performance based on the residual wealth calculated by deducting its cost of capital from its operating profit

:lol: nuff said
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:56 am

uljersey wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:13 am
Slazmo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:26 am
Big fan of good quality Cork... Non of that Cork that's got big gaps and rough as that falls apart and needs filling. Talking AAAA grade.

Hyper or Eva I have on a lot of rods but as mentioned before it needs cleaning so often as it absorbs skin oil's, fish slime and so on. Goes shiny on one side of the grip where the palm rests primarily. You can definitely tell a right or lefty rod user from the grips alone.

Carbon I haven't had any care for since feeling it on a couple home wrapped and some Edge rods... Too lifeless and hard.

Personal choice but I think there's something endearing and individual with good quality cork like OG Daiwa Knobs.
Well said, that pretty much sums it up for me. While I apply U40 to my cork annually after a thorough cleaning, I don’t mind the normal wear and tear of well earned ‘personality’ blemishes that come with extended use.
I agree.
However, as noted cork gets dirty and for some reason I do not like to buy used cork handle rods. Dirt from others, yuck. Dirt from me, lovely. :D

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:25 am

I like a mix of both. Cork below the reel and EVA on the locking nut and butt cap for split grip setup.

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 am

Like them both, just depends on the rod.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:15 pm

jdbassman32 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 am
Like them both, just depends on the rod.
Me, too.

bish0p
Angler
Angler

Post by bish0p » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:05 pm

EVA for inshore & offshore boat rods.
Cork for fly rods.
Carbon fiber for everything else.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DaisyZillion » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:29 pm

There is no doubt good quality dense EVA, high quality cork and even rubberised corks are all good in their own right but I do feel the need to come to the defense of carbon. I had a love affair with the NRX JWR 803c for a number of years, had Barra blow apart that split reel seat 3 times but in the end I got a local rod builder to cut that seat off and replace with an ACS I loved those rods so much, then one day along came the Edge Black Widow, this is when I stopped romanticising about cork and got to know the true utilitarian advantages of that hand laid carbon grip. More sensitive, less fatiguing after 5 or 6 hours casting and much, much harder wearing. My NRX looks very well worn after 3 seasons hard work, the cork is pitted and dented, ingrained with dirt and starting to break off in little bits, the Edge ISR BW SC 666 looks like the day I bought it apart from a few minor scratches on the blank and it is well into it’s 4th season.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:38 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:47 pm
High quality cork is unmatched, it's not even close for me if I had the choice.

EVA
Economic value added (EVA) is a measure of a company's financial performance based on the residual wealth calculated by deducting its cost of capital from its operating profit

:lol: nuff said
Amen.

EVA to me screams “Wal Mart - white blank - shark-rod 5000.” I personally wouldn’t even touch a high-end with EVA grips. That’s a joke in my book.

Flor grade cork or CFX carbon fiber grips for me, if I build a rod. Only rods that might have EVA would be trolling rods, and I’d put x-flock shrink tube on them immediately.

U40 cork seal on factory cork rods. Have yet to see a factory rod with cork as good as I pay for on my custom sticks. Somebody mentioned the cork on NRX... that’s good mid-grade cork FYI. Was quite a bit of pit filler in the 9 models I used to own.

I despise EVA grips. Different strokes for different folks. If somebody likes them, there’s plenty to go around.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:09 pm

Makes me think some folks are under the impression that their is only 1 type of foam, crap grade, Walmart style. Not true...