G Loomis vs JDM

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JHiggs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

G Loomis vs JDM

Post by JHiggs » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:35 am

Hi all. I've recently lost 30lbs and get to buy myself a frivolous gift because of it. I'm searching for a new UL trout spinning rod. I've narrowed it down to the G Loomis 5'2" trout series UL F or potentially a jdm. Rayz or Shimano Trout One. I cant make up my mind and obvi itll be tough to test out the jdm rod before purchase. I read the Ray's are faster this year but I also see the the weight of some of those JDM rods is heavier than its american cousins. Not much weight but still heavier. Can anyone fill me on on how the gloomis or the jdm rods would compare to one another?

CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: G Loomis vs JDM

Post by CheezusCrust » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:23 am

You can't go wrong with a GLX .

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:18 am

For bass rods I would say JDM all the way, though thats based on some personal preference (I prefer shorter rods with a more moderate taper). I know less with trout rods but like the comment above me said, you really cant go wrong with glx. I have heard great things about those tenryu rods though

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 pm

Ultralight Fishing section of this forum has plenty of info on JDM trout rods, go take a good look...

To my knowledge there are many options across the pond, Tenryu, MC, Shimano, Daiwa, and a few other manufacturers all have great lineups.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:50 pm

I don't own Tenryu rods but I have a Shimnao Trout one Area Special (full cork older model, 63UL I think) I use for crappie fishing. It is a nice rod (and nice looking rod) for the price and I liked it a lot even though I'm moving to some higher end JDM rods these days. Average sensitivity with mono, much better with braid. it is a tough rod too, i caught many 3lb+ smallies with it.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:54 am

I own a rayz twitching model I got here from another member. Its a sweet little rod. It's heavier on paper than many others but none of those balance as well as this rod does with an air stream custom it's absolutely perfect.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:11 pm

JHiggs wrote: โ†‘
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:35 am
Hi all. I've recently lost 30lbs and get to buy myself a frivolous gift because of it. I'm searching for a new UL trout spinning rod. I've narrowed it down to the G Loomis 5'2" trout series UL F or potentially a jdm. Rayz or Shimano Trout One. I cant make up my mind and obvi itll be tough to test out the jdm rod before purchase. I read the Ray's are faster this year but I also see the the weight of some of those JDM rods is heavier than its american cousins. Not much weight but still heavier. Can anyone fill me on on how the gloomis or the jdm rods would compare to one another?
CONGRATULATIONS ๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽ‰ ON YOUR GOAL
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible