St. Croix Legend Xtreme 2020

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: St. Croix Legend Xtreme 2020

Post by KP Duty » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:25 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:24 pm
Still waiting to see how the sensitivity compares to a NRX.

I wish the whole handle was carbon fiber.
I also thought for the price you should get a carbon handle. When I picked up a couple of edge black widows a few years ago, I talked to edge as I had a couple questions. I remember the guy touting that 'you have to spend a grand from megabass to get a carbon handle'. The carbon handles don't seem very expensive to buy for custom builders however.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:53 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 am
NOLRAMB wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:43 pm
The Steez Bottom Contact AGS lost to the AGS Xtreme in looks and performance.
I respectfully disagree with both notions.

I've put in a lot of time with the Bottom Contact rod and now quite a bit more time with the Xtreme. There is no doubt, the Xtreme is a fantastic rod. However, it feels bulkier, heavier, and not nearly as sleek and streamlined as the Bottom Contact rod in my hands. Sensitivity wise, both are fantastic. The actual "bite" transmission of the Xtreme is indeed electric, but dragging across rocks, wood, etc. the Bottom Contact rod transmits better to my hands.

Fortunately, there are many great jig/worm rods out there these days. Anyone who ends up with either of these world class rods will be very happy to own them.
thx for the review as always Gary. in terms of the sensitivity, how would u rank it amongst the best domestic and jdm?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 am

Happy Easter everyone

I was on the computer most all night and up until I went to the er was watching videos on this rod. Does the handle have that same sound like the poison Adrena when something hits it?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:50 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 am
Happy Easter everyone

I was on the computer most all night and up until I went to the er was watching videos on this rod. Does the handle have that same sound like the poison Adrena when something hits it?
like hitting glass?

sorry about ur trip to the ER man. hope u're much better now

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:27 pm

Chode wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:50 am
goldrod wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 am
Happy Easter everyone

like hitting glass?

sorry about ur trip to the ER man. hope u're much better now
Yes like hitting glass.
That sound gives me anxiety. Post er visit StRong pain medication and antibiotics.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:48 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 am
NOLRAMB wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:43 pm
The Steez Bottom Contact AGS lost to the AGS Xtreme in looks and performance.
I respectfully disagree with both notions.

I've put in a lot of time with the Bottom Contact rod and now quite a bit more time with the Xtreme. There is no doubt, the Xtreme is a fantastic rod. However, it feels bulkier, heavier, and not nearly as sleek and streamlined as the Bottom Contact rod in my hands. Sensitivity wise, both are fantastic. The actual "bite" transmission of the Xtreme is indeed electric, but dragging across rocks, wood, etc. the Bottom Contact rod transmits better to my hands.

Fortunately, there are many great jig/worm rods out there these days. Anyone who ends up with either of these world class rods will be very happy to own them.
I agree either are a great choice and are in the upper echelon in rods, I wanted to share my unbiased comparison of both rods, I am not a retailer nor did I design or help design either rod, I do not care about the profit margin of either rod, I just want the most for money and the St. Croix Legend Xtreme delivers that.

Another bonus especially in these times is the St. Croix is designed and assembled in the USA, some components from it are probably sourced elsewhere but the construction is here in the states, to some people that matters also.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:20 am

Ho light of weight can you cast on the 74H?

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:42 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:20 am
Ho light of weight can you cast on the 74H?
I can cast a 1/4 ounce Bass Patrol rubber skirted jig with no trailer, 85 feet consistently without trying, on 14 lb sunline structure FC with a Steez A, spool set to minimal side to side play and brakes at 14.

With a trailer I'm sure you can gain a extra 10 to 15 feet.

This specific jigs actual weight is 10 grams, most people never factor in the weight of the hook and skirt never mind numerous trailers than can vary greatly in weight.

It definitely casts lighter weights easier than the 75 Bottom Contact.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:55 pm

Huh interesting. Would you throw frogs on it?

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Yes of course it has plenty back bone.

This rod will fish more lures than you would think.

It's loads up well on casts and can throw a wide variety of lures of course a reel with an advanced braking system helps with light stuff.

It can easily throw a actual total weight of 1/4 ounce and up.

A 1/4 ounce dressed jig with a trailer is no proble

Even a 1/4 ounce bullet weight with a 7 to 12 inch power worm .

If it has the tip to cast these light weights, it will work well with frogs.
Last edited by NOLRAMB on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:51 pm

russ57 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:55 pm
Huh interesting. Would you throw frogs on it?
And that’s the magic question 😂
Something I was thing about as well

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:59 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:44 pm
Thanks for sharing great info.

it is cause of our weather here is super hot and that rubbery kind of handle won't last long here... :)
i stopped buying Xtreme due to that handle just to be honest :)

Thanks again for info.

Regards,
WW

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:03 am

The assumption that the handle is "rubbery" is incorrect.

They have a Monocoque handle with a clear silicone type material that has an abstract or splattered pattern which is part of the handle, not just sprayed on the surface.

It will hold up better to the harsh climate that you live in vs EVA or Cork.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:21 am

Chode wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:53 am
thx for the review as always Gary. in terms of the sensitivity, how would u rank it amongst the best domestic and jdm?
They are both fantastic and among the best out there in terms of US availability. I haven't fished all of the highest end JDM rods discussed on this site and others, but the Racing Design rods I've fished are definitely among the most sensitive rods I've ever fished. More so than the elite US rods? Maybe, but by the time you get to this level, sensitivity is so good that a little bit more gets a little bit harder to discern.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:21 am
Chode wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:53 am
They are both fantastic and among the best out there in terms of US availability. I haven't fished all of the highest end JDM rods discussed on this site and others, but the Racing Design rods I've fished are definitely among the most sensitive rods I've ever fished. More so than the elite US rods? Maybe, but by the time you get to this level, sensitivity is so good that a little bit more gets a little bit harder to discern.
What is the lower weight limt on the 74 gary?