New Saint overpriced or not?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Saint overpriced or not?

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 am

NOLRAMB - I might have missed it, but which new Xtreme was used here?

I have the 74H and the Steez AGS Bottom Contact rod. I've spent a lot of time with the Bottom Contact, and a little bit with the 74H so far. I've drawn some comparisons, but was curious about the differences in our perceptions. I wanted to make be sure as the 74H is the only one I've fished so far...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:39 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:45 am

I have the 74H and the Steez AGS Bottom Contact rod. I've spent a lot of time with the Bottom Contact, and a little bit with the 74H so far. I've drawn some comparisons, but was curious about the differences in our perceptions. I wanted to make be sure as the 74H is the only one I've fished so far...
I could help you with that. Your a busy man I’m sure and I’d be honored to take this rod through it’s paces. I’ll
make that sacrifice
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:15 pm

bronzefly wrote:

The 74h is the one I'm using.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:15 pm
bronzefly wrote:

Ok thanks, understood and I'm using the same models. I've fished the same baits, line, reel, etc. with both rods and the clear difference you describe with regard to vibration transmittance hasn't been my experience. Regardless, both rods are absolutely among the best in class out there for jig/worm presentations. They feel very different in hand and the actions are different as well, but everyone has their own perception with regard to sensitivity/vibration transmission, etc.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:03 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm
NOLRAMB wrote:
bronzefly wrote:

Ok thanks, understood and I'm using the same models. I've fished the same baits, line, reel, etc. with both rods and the clear difference you describe with regard to vibration transmittance hasn't been my experience. Regardless, both rods are absolutely among the best in class out there for jig/worm presentations. They feel very different in hand and the actions are different as well, but everyone has their own perception with regard to sensitivity/vibration transmission, etc.
so u think it's a dead heat? also, do u feel the same way in that they're both a cut above the nrx in almost every regard?

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:15 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm
NOLRAMB wrote:
bronzefly wrote:

My experience could have been more pronounced in regards to the noticeable difference in the sensitivity transmitted through the two grips because I tested them on a lake with alot of submerged granite boulders and rock.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:03 pm

Chode wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:03 pm
so u think it's a dead heat? also, do u feel the same way in that they're both a cut above the nrx in almost every regard?
All three are top notch in terms of sensitivity, but I've spent a LOT more time with Steez AGS Bottom Contact and NRX than I have with new Legend Xtreme AGS 74H. I prefer to spend a lot more time in many different situations before I draw final conclusions however. I need more time with the Xtreme under different conditions to really get a gauge because the subtle differences are important to me. In terms of balance, both the Steez AGS BC and Xtreme are superior to the NRX. Cleanliness of build quality goes to the Steez by a noticeable margin over both. The handle grip, materials used, and overall feel are very subjective, as are sensitivity perceptions as it seems, but again, all three are excellent in terms of sensitivity.
NOLRAMB wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:15 pm
My experience could have been more pronounced in regards to the noticeable difference in the sensitivity transmitted through the two grips because I tested them on a lake with alot of submerged granite boulders and rock.
Understood and I appreciate that clarification. I've fished them both in rock, wood, and grass, but not nearly enough time on the water with the new Xtreme to make a clear determination of which one is "more" sensitive. As technologically advanced as the Xtreme handle grip may be, it isn't nearly as comfortable in my hands as the Steez AGS BC rod, but I am going to fish the rod a lot to get to know it better.
goldrod wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:39 pm
I could help you with that. Your a busy man I’m sure and I’d be honored to take this rod through it’s paces. I’ll make that sacrifice
JL - you are a kind soul for making such an offer! :lol: I'll take this one for the team for a little while longer however. She'll be used, used hard, but loved at the same time, so who knows what kind of shape she'll be in when I'm done, but I bet she'll be happy 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:31 pm

St Croix blanks have always been over priced imo. I can't speak on this one though. I believe there are less expensive blanks on the market, that offer better performance. Personally, I wouldn't dish out that kind of coin for a Croix. Ymmv

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 pm

I have a hard time saying anything is overpriced before I ever use or touch it and that seems to be the position of many of the posters. I do remember when Loomis came out with the Conquest and/or NRX rods and everyone cried that they were not worth it. Well the people that thought they were worth the money, bought them and the rest of use wished we had the money. In short I enjoy the way St. Croix runs their business and will at least look at the rods. At that time I will decide if the rod is worth sacrificing other things, like new reels, in order to purchase the rod. So I will withhold judgment on the rods until I have a chance to handle them, but I do value "bronzefly"s opinion as he is able to fish with more high end equipment than I am. I also value other opinions when a person has a chance to fish with the rod and compare it to other top end rods.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm

timinmo wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 pm
I have a hard time saying anything is overpriced before I ever use or touch it and that seems to be the position of many of the posters. I do remember when Loomis came out with the Conquest and/or NRX rods and everyone cried that they were not worth it. Well the people that thought they were worth the money, bought them and the rest of use wished we had the money. In short I enjoy the way St. Croix runs their business and will at least look at the rods. At that time I will decide if the rod is worth sacrificing other things, like new reels, in order to purchase the rod. So I will withhold judgment on the rods until I have a chance to handle them, but I do value "bronzefly"s opinion as he is able to fish with more high end equipment than I am. I also value other opinions when a person has a chance to fish with the rod and compare it to other top end rods.
I definitely see your point.
Thanks
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible