New Saint overpriced or not?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Saint overpriced or not?

Post by goldrod » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:07 am

I’ve been on the sidelines but after seeing a video of the new blacked out ( I like blacked out equipment, seems so much more celestial) st. Croix LE rod
I wondered how it was in hand. Seems like they may have been the originators of the monocoque handle and of course correct me if I’m wrong. However that’s what it would seem to me that this rod has. I haven’t read much about the blank or guide components but i will take a look see. Has anyone had their hands on one?

With this covid-19 and all this Social distancing stuff
It would seem that the wallet is in launch control mode. Lol it’s going to be ugly when that light turns green.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New Saint overpriced or not?

Post by bbates3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 am

I mean is any rod really worth $500, $600 or $650???

i don't know but i do like high end rods

i have the 7ft medium rod, its sitting in the boat now to go out for a bit, initially i really like it

all the weight is in the handle, balance is great. blank is sensitive and light

rod seems very versatile and bulletproof, i mainly bought it for inshore fishing, there is nothing to corrode and the handle seems like it will hold up to some abuse

while maybe not the prettiest handle it fits my hand great and i like the way it feels, its simple and not fancy i like the mostly all black coloration

guides also seem to be about a size larger than say a steez ags comparable rod, it also didn't have a note about leader length like an ags does, maybe Gary can chime in on suggested leader lengths.

overall i like it and will probably add another one or 2 to the collection

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:12 am

bbates3 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 am
I mean is any rod really worth $500, $600 or $650???

i don't know but i do like high end rods

i have the 7ft medium rod, its sitting in the boat now to go out for a bit, initially i really like it

all the weight is in the handle, balance is great. blank is sensitive and light

rod seems very versatile and bulletproof, i mainly bought it for inshore fishing, there is nothing to corrode and the handle seems like it will hold up to some abuse

while maybe not the prettiest handle it fits my hand great and i like the way it feels, its simple and not fancy i like the mostly all black coloration

guides also seem to be about a size larger than say a steez ags comparable rod, it also didn't have a note about leader length like an ags does, maybe Gary can chime in on suggested leader lengths.

overall i like it and will probably add another one or 2 to the collection

Yes your right , price is subjective but I currently am leaning on the limb of people will pay what you ask. I recently purchased a high ticket item that depreciated 10K each from the original date of manufacture. For me it was a wonderful deal.
But I think we can all agree that fishing equipment is essential to our health.
😂 fishing makes us happy and therefore we are less stressed and a life with little to no stress is a healthy life.

Anyways I don’t understand what you mean by leader lengths or what that has to do with the rod. I presume that you are talking about c-rigs but then again I could be wrong.

You mentioned the Steez AGS rods and I would like to know how this rod compares to the AGS in terms of sensitivity?

Additionally how does it cast? What reel do you have paired with it and could you please post pictures.

Respectfully,
GoldRod
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm

DAIWA Steez Bottom Contact AGS

Vs

ST CROIX LEGEND XTREME AGS

Both Equipped with a Daiwa STEEZ A TW

Which one wins?

I'll find out this Saturday, both will have Sunline Shooter 14lb and both will have the same size Football Jig and trailer.
Attachments
20200318_162843_copy_600x427.jpg
20200318_162843_copy_600x427.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 6609 times

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:00 pm

Ok so with a steez Ags rod you get a card or yellow piece of paper

Is says please set leader length shorter than 1 meter 3 ft and thinner than .47mm

Use the thinnest knot etc.

I didn’t get this with the st Croix

I would say it’s ever bit as sensitive as an Ags

The more I use it the more I like it

It launches a 1/4oz jig head and 4 inch soft plastic

I would say the 7ft med and med heavy will be more versatile than my 71 mh Ags

It’s a fun rod

Also I had a 852 nrx

To me that rod felt like any day I was going to break it

This feels just as light in your hand but more durable

https://flic.kr/p/2iFwcRj

https://flic.kr/p/2iFwcR4

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:37 am

absolutely gorgeous rods =D>

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:36 am

NOLRAMB wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm
DAIWA Steez Bottom Contact AGS

Vs

ST CROIX LEGEND XTREME AGS

Both Equipped with a Daiwa STEEZ A TW

Which one wins?

I'll find out this Saturday, both will have Sunline Shooter 14lb and both will have the same size Football Jig and trailer.
Results...NOW!!! :D
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:17 am

I’m pretty interested in knotted leader restrictions, if there are any for these rods. That’s the only perceived deal breaker to me at this point. I just love St. Croix’s actions/blank tapers.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34 pm

Just finished fishing these two, both rods had a Dobyns 1/2 football jig with a 3.75 flappin hog 1/2 inch cut off of it.

The St. Croix was the clear winner, the grip/handle itself transmitted the lake bottom so much better, with the EVA on the Steez you could tell it was hampering the feel.

I like to hold the rod handle next to my body and drag a football jig like a Carolina rig during 80% of the retrieve, I could feel a lot more of the lakes structure on the Croix vs the Steez.

If the Steez had the same grip/handle material I feel they would be identical in sensitivity and feel.

They performed the same casting wise, the balance is equal when I was fishing them both are solid, but the St. Croixs sensitivity was very sharp or crisp you could say.

I've had all types of high end rods including the much Touted NRX rods which I feel are underwhelming all the way across the board considering the HYPE they get, these two are a step above the NRX series, you can't go wrong with either of the two both are insanely sensitive, it's not splitting hairs but it's close, the EVA material is holding back the Steez.

It's Lamborghini vs Ferrari basically.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:58 pm

Man, if it didn't have that SK reel seat, I'd be on it. That reel seat makes my hand cramp after about 30 minutes. It always feels like its gonna fall out of my hand, so I squeeze harder on it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:06 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:58 pm
Man, if it didn't have that SK reel seat, I'd be on it. That reel seat makes my hand cramp after about 30 minutes. It always feels like its gonna fall out of my hand, so I squeeze harder on it.
I could see how that could be, I have 9.5 inch hands and for me it's comfortable.

What if you wear fishing gloves?
Attachments
20200322_150915_copy_600x800.jpg
20200322_150915_copy_600x800.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 6419 times

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Same with gloves, unfortunately. Too bad the blanks aren't available. I've always preferred customs, anyway.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:37 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34 pm
Just finished fishing these two, both rods had a Dobyns 1/2 football jig with a 3.75 flappin hog 1/2 inch cut off of it.

The St. Croix was the clear winner, the grip/handle itself transmitted the lake bottom so much better, with the EVA on the Steez you could tell it was hampering the feel.

I like to hold the rod handle next to my body and drag a football jig like a Carolina rig during 80% of the retrieve, I could feel a lot more of the lakes structure on the Croix vs the Steez.

If the Steez had the same grip/handle material I feel they would be identical in sensitivity and feel.

They performed the same casting wise, the balance is equal when I was fishing them both are solid, but the St. Croixs sensitivity was very sharp or crisp you could say.

I've had all types of high end rods including the much Touted NRX rods which I feel are underwhelming all the way across the board considering the HYPE they get, these two are a step above the NRX series, you can't go wrong with either of the two both are insanely sensitive, it's not splitting hairs but it's close, the EVA material is holding back the Steez.

really appreciate it. thx for taking the time to not only test it but write up a review =D>

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:08 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:34 pm

If I had to choose between a Ferrari vs Lamborghini that would be the easiest decision I ever had to make in my life.
I choose BOTH. LOL
THANKS for the comparison and thanks Tim for the feedback on the hump.
I’ve never owned a st. Croix rod with that handle so I may have the wait til it hits a store here in FL and see how it feels.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:55 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:58 pm
The previous model Xtreme monocoque handles w/SK skeleton seats were the same way for the spinning models for me. I own only one currently for pitching live bait for walleyes because the grip is so easy to clean. Casting model is a-okay since I palm the reel.

I think the new spinning models will be slightly better with the full carbon fiber hood up front. If it were all available, blanks and AGS guides, I’d go custom with a full grip CFX handle, with their carbon infused foam as the reel seat arbor(s) and that would be more comfortable and I suspect eek out every last once of sensitivity possible.

Just me spitballin’ as I haven’t got to fish one yet. I’d buy a couple with my bonus money right now, but they haven’t released my favorite actions just yet.