North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Post Reply
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by Chode » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:40 am

what are all the production rods that use this blank?

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 395
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by KP Duty » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:41 pm

I think the new zbone is the only one....that I know of anyway. I have 2 black widows built with IM blanks im thinking of having a builder swap in x-ray's..

User avatar
TravisNY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:07 pm
Location: WV

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by TravisNY » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:25 pm

I just purchased four of the 2020 Z Bones. Couldn’t be happier. They won’t be my last.
In Fisherman Midwest Finesse
Carolina Fishing Tackle
Costa
Duo Realis
Pro Cure
Simms
ZMan

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:56 am

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by Revofisher » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:34 pm

travisNy did the 2020s change any from the 2019 first x ray blanks on the z bone that you can tell as far as taper and actions go

User avatar
scrapiron
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by scrapiron » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:09 am

I have some of the earliest X-ray Zbones and had some new ones mid/late last year. I noticed they down rated similar blanks- the MH went from 1oz. to 3/4oz. For example. They don’t seem to make the light powered longer rods anymore- 7’3” Medium for example.

The early blanks (serial #s below 5) are very “thin” but are surprisingly strong. The later ones seemed ‘thicker’ and didn’t have that electric feel. They are/were still great, don’t get me wrong.

These early ones are right up next to the new Steez AGS rods as sensitivity- just amazing. I did comparisons with the Zbones and other rods (same reel, line, lure) and it was night and day. The later Zbones- still good, still sensitive, still awesome... but the early ones a tad more ‘zing’.

I also felt the actions were more firm on the later Zbones. I love me some mod fast and the three I have are wonderful- true mod fast. The later Mod Fast didn’t have near the smooth action- they were more Fast. Could’ve been the blanks, could’ve been a design change.

Can’t speak to the newest models after the redesign as I haven’t tried those and probably won’t. The early Zbones and Steez AGS have me set for this year anyway.

I wonder if they were pushing the proverbial envelope early on and perhaps found they were not as robust as they needed to be for all fisherman. I don’t fish a ton compared to a lot of folks here and I baby my equipment.


That 7’3” Med/Mod Fast rod is an absolute standout. In every regard- feel, sensitivity, strength, elegance, etc. I almost cried when I tripped on some concrete stairs while holding it. Thankfully had someone put on two part expoy (crack was below handle) and that seems to have fixed it. Still feels the same.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2267
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Northern Kentucky

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by DavidSA » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:37 am

I have one on a zbone. I purchased in October so guess it is the 2019 model. very nice blank. I've got the 7'10 H model. My take is as sensitive as any rod I've owned or fished in a stout rod.

nvbroncrider
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:40 pm
Location: Northern NV

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by nvbroncrider » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:41 pm

Kistler Zbones Edge rods Black Widow series those are the only ones I know of.

However I have built on a couple of the X-Ray blanks and really like them. There regular HM blanks are really good too. Got a bunch of rods that need testing. Just need the time to go and weather to cooperate.

DaisyZillion
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:48 pm

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by DaisyZillion » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:56 am

nvbroncrider wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:41 pm
Kistler Zbones Edge rods Black Widow series those are the only ones I know of.

However I have built on a couple of the X-Ray blanks and really like them. There regular HM blanks are really good too. Got a bunch of rods that need testing. Just need the time to go and weather to cooperate.
I don’t think the X-Ray blanks were used for the Edge Black Widow series or at least not advertised as such, they were called Next Gen HM blank, the new Silver Widow series is quoted as built on the X-Ray HM blank.

amso4
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 2:03 pm

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by amso4 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:18 am

DaisyZillion wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:56 am
nvbroncrider wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:41 pm
Kistler Zbones Edge rods Black Widow series those are the only ones I know of.

However I have built on a couple of the X-Ray blanks and really like them. There regular HM blanks are really good too. Got a bunch of rods that need testing. Just need the time to go and weather to cooperate.
I don’t think the X-Ray blanks were used for the Edge Black Widow series or at least not advertised as such, they were called Next Gen HM blank, the new Silver Widow series is quoted as built on the X-Ray HM blank.
Thats right. The 733 BW Edge rod is the only IM NFC blank in the series, all the other BW are the HM. No BW are X-Ray.

_diggy_
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:35 am

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by _diggy_ » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:00 am

https://www.leviathanrods.com/shop/prod ... -bass-rod/

I ordered a swimbait rod from them, but their bass rods do

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by Chode » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:45 am

_diggy_ wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:00 am
https://www.leviathanrods.com/shop/prod ... -bass-rod/

I ordered a swimbait rod from them, but their bass rods do
please post some pics of the balancing point when you get it. thx

_diggy_
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:35 am

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by _diggy_ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:36 pm

Chode wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:45 am
_diggy_ wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:00 am
https://www.leviathanrods.com/shop/prod ... -bass-rod/

I ordered a swimbait rod from them, but their bass rods do
please post some pics of the balancing point when you get it. thx
Image

8ft XH 2-8 with lexa 300

I used the wide angle so you can see the whole handle

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by Chode » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 pm

oh wow. that balancing point is sick

_diggy_
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:35 am

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by _diggy_ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Chode wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 pm
oh wow. that balancing point is sick
I was pleasantly surprised. I will give it a run tomorrow evening.

I even tried putting a gen1 tatula on it and it balances less than an inch higher =D>

ss30378
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 753
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: North Fork Composite HM-XRay Blank Question

Post by ss30378 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 am

For the Edge rods only the Silver Widow line uses the x-ray blanks.

Post Reply