Heavy hard bait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
versus158
Angler
Angler

Heavy hard bait rod

Post by versus158 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:36 am

Hi guys,

Over here once again for some rod advice.

I'm looking for a rod to throw primarily full size walking baits (vixens, 130 rovers, super spooks, etc...) would be nice if I could also use for some other stuff like paddle tails or chatterbaits.

I'm currently using a 7' MH moderate AvidX, length feels good, action is good once the fish is hooked but working the bait just feels miserable, too soft of a tip.
My other rods are too stiff to keep the fish pinned on the trebles.

Narrowed it all to a 7ish footer, fast/mod fast action and heavy enough to not fold in half on long casts with 3/4 to 1oz baits (don't like the feeling of overloading the blank).

Heard good things about the Dobyns champion and champion extreme series, but can't try them out (I'm in europe). Is there any model you would recommend for my desired application ?

Thanks for your help.

Thomas

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Heavy hard bait rod

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 am

My favorite rod over the years for that is the mbr843 glx.

From Dobyns, I like the 705cb glass (fast), but I'm not sure if you'd like it. Very versatile rod otherwise. The 843 glx would be better for smaller paddletails and chatterbaits imo.

I also grind in the fish very fast and use the strongest hooks (2-3x) I can get away with. Usually with 19lb defier. But you can probably get away with a lot of rods for these techniques.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:58 am

If you're okay with using a Fast action rod, I agree with the 843MBR GLX suggestion.

As a dedicated topwater rod I've been using a Powell Endurance 725 CB Graphite rod over the last year and been loving it. It has that mod-fast action to keep trebles pinned, but because it's a full graphite rod the tip feels crisper and not as noodely as on a glass rod. It's super light as well (paired with a Abu Revo AL-F, which is just 5.7oz), and makes walking baits a ton of fun.

Not a high-end rod by any means, but one of my absolute favorites to use. I can crank on it, as well, and it's great for yoyo-ing blades and lipless cranks. (I put a full 150-sized reel on it for dedicated cranking, though.)

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:03 am

Thanks for the quick replies guys !

Have got a couple of loomis rods in 4 power (JWR), personnaly wouldn't want to go lower than that to throw those baits.

Only problem is that the MBR rods can't be found here, there's only one MBR model carried over here and it's the conquest, comes with a pretty large price tag !

But yeah I think the that's the sort of action that i'm looking for (MBR) just need to find something similar in another brand.

thanks again !

wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wilddog66 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 am

If you can source them locally, check out the Megabass Destroyer USA Daemos or the Orochi XX Diablo Spec-R. The Daemos is spec’d a little heavier than the Diablo, and has a stiff tip good for chatterbaits and working big topwaters. Those large topwaters usually come with bigger heavier trebles, so the power of the rod should not be an issue.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:54 am

If you don't mind going high-end, another option to consider might be the Poison Adrena 6'11" M+. Haven't fished one, but it's on my radar as a future topwater rod because I DO have the 6'10" M Expride, think its action is great for topwaters, and expect that action to continue to the Poison Adrena, as well. Also going off this TB video that describes the + models as being similar to the Loomis MBR models: https://youtu.be/4o56WCRdBxI?t=323

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 am

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:54 am
If you don't mind going high-end, another option to consider might be the Poison Adrena 6'11" M+. Haven't fished one, but it's on my radar as a future topwater rod because I DO have the 6'10" M Expride, think its action is great for topwaters, and expect that action to continue to the Poison Adrena, as well. Also going off this TB video that describes the + models as being similar to the Loomis MBR models: https://youtu.be/4o56WCRdBxI?t=323
Lures that size on the 6’11”PA I can’t see it.
From the description of the baits I’d be more inclined to suggest a Black Jungle Power Versatile but even still the rod he’d most like would be the Valkyrie 7’1” with spiral wraps. That rod can darn near do everything anyone would want and has a true use for every angler. I’ve take just that one rod and casted showerblows , spinnerbaits, chatterbaits , iLoud, Iprops , jigs and the list goes on. It’s that versatile and the handles ability to be adjusted just makes it the rod of versatile
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:19 pm

I've got a 6'10 M poison adrena, great rod but for these heavier baits we'd be looking at a H and the action on those is different, a lot more beef in the tip. A bit too much to keep them pinned good.

Found a valkyrie in europe looks good, same price as a conquest MBR, will have to do some thinking about it :).

That's why I was looking at the champions and Champion extremes, theyre quite a bit cheaper even after tax and shipping.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:53 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:57 am
Drakestar wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:54 am
Lures that size on the 6’11”PA I can’t see it.
Fair point, I missed the "long casts with 3/4 to 1oz baits" bit of the OP.