Sensitive jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sensitive jig rod

Post by russ57 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:14 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:18 pm
russ57 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:01 pm
Can't speak to the 74 since I haven't handled it.

I got the 72 in today and pitched a jig around my apartment some. Sensitivity is very impressive and the handle gives the whole setup a very connected feel which is hard to describe but very unique, at least among the rods I have used. The taper is very regular and the rod loads really deeply into the blank. IMO that is a good thing since a deep load will keep the fish finned on a jig. It is definetly not as powerful as a 76H expride.

For frog fishing I may need to go up to the 74H model though, honestly. I may order it from TW to check out the taper, if it seems too stiff I can send it back.
Thanks for the info. I have a 2 piece 6'10" M that is very nice. Wouldn't mind another adrena. I do like to try other brands too though. We'll see
I want to try another too but I also want to add a loomis and a megabass to my collection first

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 pm

keep hearing the 7'5 ags is unreal for 1/2oz jigs

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Chode wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 pm
Is that the bottom contact?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:21 pm
Chode wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:16 pm
Is that the bottom contact?
yessir

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:51 pm

Alright, well I went with the poison adrena 72h. Found a deal I couldn't pass on and I will keep looking into the zbone and bottom contact. Thanks everyone

For those of you with the 72h what reel do you have on it?

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:57 am

You sure will love that rod, excellent through the whole line up !

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:08 am

versus158 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:57 am
You sure will love that rod, excellent through the whole line up !
That's what I've been reading. Hope this one doesn't have too much power for what I want.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:30 am

russ57 wrote:

I got the 72 in today and pitched a jig around my apartment some. Sensitivity is very impressive and the handle gives the whole setup a very connected feel which is hard to describe but very unique, at least among the rods I have used. The taper is very regular and the rod loads really deeply into the blank. IMO that is a good thing since a deep load will keep the fish finned on a jig. It is definetly not as powerful as a 76H expride.

For frog fishing I may need to go up to the 74H model though, honestly. I may order it from TW to check out the taper, if it seems too stiff I can send it back.

Exactly my point. The 7’2” for me is 3/8 jigs but definitely NOT 1/2 IMHO
I’m not sure about the 7’4” and that’s what I’m waiting to find out. To the OP yes the bottom contact is what you want but when considering the price point you mentioned H3 Kistler rod is pretty good especially if you get it used.
I’d stay away from the 7’2” poison Adrena for what you intended to do. Maybe it’s just me but I’m more of an old IMX 844 type when it comes to jigs
I just like that type of feel and rigidity. Another stick is the St. croix legend e. Rod. I have mine paired with the Antares reel and is like the two are made for each other. Just gives you that connected feel especially with floro.
Lastly a used gambler is a wonderful choice
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:30 am
russ57 wrote:

I’m not sure about the 7’4” and that’s what I’m waiting to find out. To the OP yes the bottom contact is what you want but when considering the price point you mentioned H3 Kistler rod is pretty good especially if you get it used.
I’d stay away from the 7’2” poison Adrena for what you intended to do. Maybe it’s just me but I’m more of an old IMX 844 type when it comes to jigs
I just like that type of feel and rigidity. Another stick is the St. croix legend e. Rod. I have mine paired with the Antares reel and is like the two are made for each other. Just gives you that connected feel especially with floro.
Sounds good, you were definitely right about it being a great texas rig rod in any case. Let us know about the 74H when you can.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:26 am

goldrod wrote:
russ57 wrote:

Russ said it would be a good 1/2 oz jig rod, then said he pitched a jig around and it had a taper he thought was good for keeping a fish pinned to a jig.

You said that was exactly your point and then said to stay away from the rod. So im a little confused.

3/8 oz jig is fine with me. What do you like the 72h for?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 am

russ57 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 am
goldrod wrote:
russ57 wrote:

Sounds good, you were definitely right about it being a great texas rig rod in any case. Let us know about the 74H when you can.
I wish that the poison Adrena had the power of the old gen one cumara and the sensitivity, balance and lightness of the new model.
If I get my hands on a 7’4” I’ll definitely let you know

I didn’t read where he said 1/2oz jig but for me that jig is too much and I understand that there are different types of half ounce jigs.
Everyone is different so my humble is just a different spin which is why I tried to describe what I like in a jig rod. From what I read in his post it further aligns with my thoughts especially when he gets on the water and fishes cover or grass.
The easiest thing to do to end all of this is just get a bottom contact rod and be done with it. It’s by far the gem of jig rods.
The new st. Croix rods may have one in the line up that could be a contender as well. Some people speak highly about the Expride line up but after my 6’10” rod I don’t want another just personal preference.

Sorry for any confusion
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 am

What type of cover, depth, and line weight are you looking at Chris? Obviously, heavy grass is different than more open water with rocks and wood. 6’ is different than 30’.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:01 am

Tigerbass wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 am
What type of cover, depth, and line weight are you looking at Chris? Obviously, heavy grass is different than more open water with rocks and wood. 6’ is different than 30’.
I'd say my usual lake is more Rocky and doesn't have much grass. Probably between 30-60' in the usual spots I go. I like fluorocarbon and I've recently started using braid as well so either or a combination of the two (braid to fluorocarbon leader). Some of the other lakes I fish can have vegetation or all types of cover depending on what area of the lake you are in.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:09 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 am
russ57 wrote:
goldrod wrote:
russ57 wrote:

I wish that the poison Adrena had the power of the old gen one cumara and the sensitivity, balance and lightness of the new model.

I didn’t read where he said 1/2oz jig but for me that jig is too much and I understand that there are different types of half ounce jigs.
Everyone is different so my humble is just a different spin which is why I tried to describe what I like in a jig rod. From what I read in his post it further aligns with my thoughts especially when he gets on the water and fishes cover or grass.
The easiest thing to do to end all of this is just get a bottom contact rod and be done with it. It’s by far the gem of jig rods.
The new st. Croix rods may have one in the line up that could be a contender as well. Some people speak highly about the Expride line up but after my 6’10” rod I don’t want another just personal preference.

Sorry for any confusion
No need to be sorry. I value your opinion on things. Based on my research for various different setups I can tell you know what you are talking about and have much more experience with a lot of higher end gear than I've used. Just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying.

When you say it's good for 3/8oz jigs would that be just the jig or with a trailer too?

If I find another bottom contact under $500 I'll probably pick it up.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:57 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:09 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 am
russ57 wrote:
goldrod wrote:
russ57 wrote:

Sorry for any confusion
No need to be sorry. I value your opinion on things. Based on my research for various different setups I can tell you know what you are talking about and have much more experience with a lot of higher end gear than I've used. Just wanted to make sure I understood what you were saying.

When you say it's good for 3/8oz jigs would that be just the jig or with a trailer too?

If I find another bottom contact under $500 I'll probably pick it up.

Thank You for the kind words. I’m a simple student and still learning.
My hope is to help others in any way possible so that they find what they are looking for without wasting money. I’ve been burned on a lot of equipment but I learned something’s.

When I say 3/8oz that was just the jig.

I see the Steez ags 7’9” rod for sale on here and I wish there was more information on that stick.
Again thanks for the kind words.