XX EMTF - Gen1 VS Gen2 - Crankbaits

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
lds922
Angler
Angler

XX EMTF - Gen1 VS Gen2 - Crankbaits

Post by lds922 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:11 am

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has experience and can compare the Gen1 and Gen2 EMTF?

I have a gen1 EMTF and it's one of my favorites, just not for cranking. I know the gen2 is supposed to be a bit more moderate in action to cater more to moving baits. Was just wanting know if anyone can confirm this and give an idea about the power. I read the TT review and they said it's a good moving bait rod, but a bit lighter in power than a typical MB F5.

Anyone using the gen2 for mid to deep crankbaits? Most of the time I'd be using DT10 and RC 1.5 and 2.5 DD size baits, so like 1/2oz and 10-14' deep. Occasionally I'd like to use it for stuff up to DT16 or 5xd or 6xd if possible.

I currently use a Swingfire and Deep Throat Custom for the DT10 and 1.5 DD size baits, but anything bigger than those overpowers both of these rods (IMO). I'd like a rod that can handle these on the low end, but go bigger as well. Both these rods are F5's but since they are glass they feel and act lighter (also IMO)...So I think I want graphite which has me leaning toward the gen2 EMTF. I have a couple DSR's (gen1) and similar to the EMTF I just don't like them for this task - I also want something a bit longer than 7'2".

So, Gen2 EMTF or no? Should I just go up to the Launcher? I'd be worried it would be too much for the 1/2oz baits and those are the most common size I use.

I know I could get the Launcher for just the bigger ones and keep using the Swingfire...But it's sort of rare that I use the bigger ones, so I'd prefer something that could pull double duty if possible. The gen1 has the right power to do both (IMO), I just don't like the action for it...So was hoping the gen2 might be a good choice

Any other recommendations are welcome, but I'm a Megabass junkie so would like to stay with them. Thanks :)

scooterb
Angler
Angler

Re: XX EMTF - Gen1 VS Gen2 - Crankbaits

Post by scooterb » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:24 am

I do not have the Launcher, but do own the EMTF second gen. For the baits you're anticipating to chuck, I'd go EMTF. The Launcher I assume is a considerable bigger bait rod. I have a Fred's Crank Launcher and Dobyn's 805 for larger baits and assume the MB Launcher is intended for that class of baits.

I've been throwing lipless cranks and cranks like the River 2 Sea Tactical on my EMTF and it handles them very well. I would not want to throw such baits on a Lunacher or like rod.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:34 am

I actually use my Gen 1 for jigs and texas rigs. It's a fantastic rod for so many applications.

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:17 am

white84z wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:34 am
I actually use my Gen 1 for jigs and texas rigs. It's a fantastic rod for so many applications.
Same here, my favorite technique with is swingheads...But these are the reasons I don't like the gen1 EMTF for cranking.

From what I've read and scooter's reply here is seems like the gen2 will make a good cranking rod though....Hopefully.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:58 am

My suggestion if you already have the rod or have access to fish with one is to try the G2 EMTF for that presentation and see how you feel about it. Initially when the G1 was released there was not a Launcher in the series so many used the EMTF for deep cranking. The current Launch is pretty versatile and can handle the medium sized cranks but the length may hamper you in tighter quarters etc where some prefer to throw crankbaits.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:25 am

You could also go up to the Javelin in the destroyer series. I purchased one over the winter and got to fish it yesterday for the first time. Really like the rod. Haven’t tried deep cranking yet but I would think it has enough power for 6XD while still being able to launch 1/2oz baits. The taper is going to be good for ripping baits out of grass, which is I think what this rod was designed for. I’ll be out with it today on a shallow grass lake so I should be able to report back on that.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:10 am

To piggyback on this, can anyone compare the gen1 EMTF with the Javelin? I recently picked up a gen1 and the taper is faster then I was expecting and I wonder if the Javelin would be a little slower while having roughly the same amount of power.

lds922
Angler
Angler

Post by lds922 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:54 am

M Perry wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:58 am
My suggestion if you already have the rod or have access to fish with one is to try the G2 EMTF for that presentation and see how you feel about it. Initially when the G1 was released there was not a Launcher in the series so many used the EMTF for deep cranking. The current Launch is pretty versatile and can handle the medium sized cranks but the length may hamper you in tighter quarters etc where some prefer to throw crankbaits.
Thanks Mark. Good to know about the Launch being able to medium ones. I don't think the length would be an issue, I actually wanted longer than the 7'2" Swingfire and it would all be open areas...I was more concerned with the launcher being overpowered for the DT10 size cranks. If it's not, it might actually be preferable since it would handle the bigger ones better too.

No local shops carry MB, so I might have to just wing it and pick one to try.

Thanks to everyone else too, I knew TT would have some good answers :D