Expride 7'6H vs Megabass Valdivia

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
scooterb
Angler
Angler

Expride 7'6H vs Megabass Valdivia

Post by scooterb » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:17 pm

Looking at picking up another rod. Of course I know both these rods are in different price points, but they're specs are similar. While I have experience with both lines of rods and can kind of speculate what I'd be getting, was wondering if anyone had insight or experience with either so I can make a better decision. I intend to add this as a jig rod/heavy texas rig,heavier carolina rig,flipping.

Expride - I see that the Exprides come in a 7'6H Fast action and 7'7H Moderate action. The obvious is the length and action, but what about application? Is the 7'7H Moderate a flipping stick or reaction bait rod? And is the action significantly slower?

Valdivia - Is this rod a true broom stick? I've researched and with what's on the interweb, while it's advertised as a frogging rod through Mega Bass, seems most people like this rod for jigs.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Expride 7'6H vs Megabass Valdivia

Post by Revofisher » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:19 pm

I have owned both the 7'6 hvy expride and valdivia. they both are great rods at the end of the day i like the expride reel seat better than the megabass, but i liked the valdivia better than the 7'6 expride blank. with the valdivia you get a unique taper with it that's awesome! the tip has softness to it and is rated as an extra fast action but when you set the hook on a fish it does its job and loads up quickly, but instead of stopping in its track the backbone gives ever so slightly so its almost like a duel taper rod. I used the valdivia for c rigs, football jigs, 3/4 oz dark sleepers , 5/8 oz flutter spoons. and bigger 5 inch paddle tails on 3/4 oz jig heads. Its labeled as a frog rod but i only threw a frog on it twice i think lol. The expride is a great one also being less in the price column but i found the valdivia to be more sensitive in my hands. Honestly on the 7'6 expride i mainly throw 6 " mag draft free styles with it, and have done some flipping with it around wood and sparse grass.

there is a video of alex davis and jared litner talking about the models a while back its an older video. anyway alex davis explains he helped making the 7'7 as a ledge fishing stick for throwing large scrounger heads, large lead head swimbaits, flutter spoons. ect . I'm sure it would work as a flipping stick but i think it was thought of in a different manner. I really like the expride line up but im going to say Valdivia on this one its a great rod for what you listed.

scooterb
Angler
Angler

Post by scooterb » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:57 am

Hey thanks much for the input. That's very descriptive. I know it's hard to compare sometimes as the price points are almost double in price, you would expect greater from the Valdivia. But your description really has me sold on the MB. Exprides are wonderful rods for the price. I love all of them that I own. But occasionally I like to splurge a little on particular setups and in this case may just go with the MB.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 am

I agree i really like the exprides and the new poison adrena line as well have been using them a ton lately. Sadly i have sold my valdivia but thats one rod out of that line up i would love to own again it was very versatile and i really liked the taper on that rod a lot. whichever you choose will be great i would think you might get a tad more enjoyment out of the valdivia

Bassforce1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bassforce1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Revofisher wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:41 am
I agree i really like the exprides and the new poison adrena line as well have been using them a ton lately. Sadly i have sold my valdivia but thats one rod out of that line up i would love to own again it was very versatile and i really liked the taper on that rod a lot. whichever you choose will be great i would think you might get a tad more enjoyment out of the valdivia

If you had to pick one of them to be a dedicated paddletail swimbait (mostly weedless) rod, which one would you choose and why?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:32 pm

for that i would probably just do the expride because its going to get the job done with ease and i do prefer the expride reel seat over the destroyer(personal preference) , and for the fact that paddle tails will be the main fortay and not so much bottom contact i would just get the expride for the cost savings if that is going to be important to you. If im not mistaken there is a vadiva for sale on Bass Boat Central for 325 that's in really good condition. Just be aware on megabass rod purchases being used the warranty will only apply to the original buyer.

scooterb
Angler
Angler

Post by scooterb » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Bassforce1 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:58 pm
Revofisher wrote:

If you had to pick one of them to be a dedicated paddletail swimbait (mostly weedless) rod, which one would you choose and why?
I could chime in on experience with the Expride 7'2 H as a great small swimbait rod as well. Plenty of back bone and a nice tip for throwing and setting the hook on 3.8 up to 4.8 Keitechs all day. I have one paired with a Metanium MGL 6.2:1 and it's light and a joy to fish paddle tail style baits. Would also serve well with other applications as well.

Bassforce1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bassforce1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 pm

scooterb wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:02 pm
Bassforce1 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:58 pm
Revofisher wrote:
I could chime in on experience with the Expride 7'2 H as a great small swimbait rod as well. Plenty of back bone and a nice tip for throwing and setting the hook on 3.8 up to 4.8 Keitechs all day. I have one paired with a Metanium MGL 6.2:1 and it's light and a joy to fish paddle tail style baits. Would also serve well with other applications as well.
Appreciate the feedback. I have a perfect pitch (7’2”h) that I currently use to throw the 4.8/5.8, works beautifully for it too. But I’m actually looking for something 7’6” that will handle the 5.8 as well as the 6.8