Daiwa BLX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Daiwa BLX

Post by rollyourboat » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:13 am

I know all the love for releases have gone to the Adrena but I'm curious if anyone has any experience or own the daiwa blx line. More specifically I'm looking at the 74MH LG and 610ML LG only because the SG models are either too heavy powered, or too light powered. I can't seem to find any info other than Gary saying the 74 is a great moving bait rod. Also curious how much of an upgrade is it from the tatula elite ags.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa BLX

Post by Houndfish » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 am

I picked up one of the JDM ones this winter, the LG 631MHFB-FR, to use as a short range frog/top water rod for some of the longer hike-in fishing I do.

Sadly just as the weather was turning around my state baned fishing, so I have very little time and even less fish on it so far. From the time I have had with it, I would say it fishs like a sawed-off 844c GLX in the best way possible. The power/taper balance is excellent and the rod feels very very sensitive. So far I’ve only used it with 50 pound braid but once I can go fishing again I’m going to try it with fluoro to see how it does on strictly bottom contact.

Build quality and finish seem excellent and I am really liking the reel seat so far.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:38 am

I have the 73ML, fantastic rod and I believe would have sold better had it been labeled a Medium power because it certainly fishes and feels like a true medium. I have used it a lot for moving baits and some lighter single hook applications. It's crisp, loads nicely, has excellent build quality and is very versatile. I also have the 74MHRB, another really good rod. I've used it a lot for vibrating jigs, spinner baits, swim baits, light umbrella rigs, etc. Its definitely a winner in the group.

The 72H is tremendously powerful and could have been rated XXH. The other models I've fished a bit and played around with have all felt very nice. Overall the BLX line is impressive and has been gaining some momentum now that more of them are getting out there and positive feedback is going around. Feel free to send me a PM if I can help, TT keeps them in stock and takes care of the Tackle Tour crew.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:26 pm

I ended up selling the 7'4 blx to another member not because i disliked the rod just wanted to fund another purchase. I really liked the rod a lot i put a tatula elite long cast on it and used it for larger walking baits and chatter baits. It shined very bright for those techniques. If your not a glass rod fan for your chatter baits take a good look at this one because it can pull crankbait duty as well.

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:08 pm

How does the 74MH compare to a Daemos? From the specs the 74 blx looks like it's a pretty heavy rod.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:47 pm

it is labeled as a hvy which imo it is but not a very hvy rod in its own spec. i would say the rods sweet spot was 1/2 - 3/4. to me the daemos has more of a fast taper and is a little lighter in power than the blx. The blx in the 7'4 length is one of the limber graphite model rods as well so the blank will have that round bend when loaded up.