Do You Have A Favorite Cheap Rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Do You Have A Favorite Cheap Rod?

Post by hzzhangc » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Falcon Bucoo. Best rod I have owned for under $100 MSRP. I got 6 couple years at Walmart for $20 each in clearance and gave them away to my friends later.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:13 pm

13 Fishing Omen Black 6' 10" ML casting rod. This was originally an Australian market only bream rod that was hard to find here in the states. It originally retailed for around $100 about 4-5 years ago. Out of nowhere it popped up on Amazon for $58 back in 2016 and I immediately jumped on it knowing that it was way underpriced. My order went through and sure enough I remember looking at the listing a day later and the price had gone up $20. I got it for the $58 and have had it ever since. I've had a blast with it throwing pretty much everything and anything on it, the best little finesse stick I own.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:53 am

Fenwck HMG impressed me for the cost. Heavy though.
Philippians 4:6

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:28 am

Original GL3
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Fri May 01, 2020 6:46 am

uljersey wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:13 pm
13 Fishing Omen Black 6' 10" ML casting rod. This was originally an Australian market only bream rod that was hard to find here in the states. It originally retailed for around $100 about 4-5 years ago. Out of nowhere it popped up on Amazon for $58 back in 2016 and I immediately jumped on it knowing that it was way underpriced. My order went through and sure enough I remember looking at the listing a day later and the price had gone up $20. I got it for the $58 and have had it ever since. I've had a blast with it throwing pretty much everything and anything on it, the best little finesse stick I own.
I picked up 2 of these for 100$ shipped for the pair and they get fished almost as much as my 500$ sticks. Awesome rods. I wish the would make this length and taper in the envy line at some point.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri May 01, 2020 8:17 am

white84z wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:46 am
uljersey wrote:
I picked up 2 of these for 100$ shipped for the pair and they get fished almost as much as my 500$ sticks. Awesome rods. I wish the would make this length and taper in the envy line at some point.

As I recall, there was a 6" 10" ML casting one in the Muse line for a while but that is gone as well. In fact it looks like the only ML option period is a Fuse spinning rod. What a shame. Probably didn't sell enough to justify production, we like our 65 lb braid and broomsticks too much I guess :roll:

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 pm

uljersey wrote:
I landed a pair of these for $96 shipped off the auction site. Put a Tatula SV on it with 8lb fluoro and had a lot of fun catching crappie all weekend. I do wish it had a little lighter tip so it could handle 1/16oz, but it's definitely a fun stick to fish with. Need to figure out a fun reel for my second one.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun May 03, 2020 3:10 pm

tywithay wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 pm
uljersey wrote:
I landed a pair of these for $96 shipped off the auction site. Put a Tatula SV on it with 8lb fluoro and had a lot of fun catching crappie all weekend. I do wish it had a little lighter tip so it could handle 1/16oz, but it's definitely a fun stick to fish with. Need to figure out a fun reel for my second one.
I have an Alphas SV105 on mine. Works and looks like a champ.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun May 03, 2020 3:53 pm

uljersey wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:10 pm
tywithay wrote:
uljersey wrote:
I was considering the alphas sv or air, or maybe an Aldebaran mgl. The lake behind my house has a ton of crappie and decent bass so it's a ton of fun with the light rod.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Tue May 05, 2020 2:56 am

tywithay wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:53 pm
uljersey wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:10 pm
tywithay wrote:
uljersey wrote:
I was considering the alphas sv or air, or maybe an Aldebaran mgl. The lake behind my house has a ton of crappie and decent bass so it's a ton of fun with the light rod.
I have one paired with a Daiwa SV Light LTD and one is paired with a T31016 and Ray's Studio spool. I can go down to 1/16 plus plastic on mine but they definitely feel way better with 1/8. I've been using mine lately to dropshot and they do not disappoint. Going to set one up as a 1/4oz jerkbait rod as well.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:53 am
Fenwck HMG impressed me for the cost. Heavy though.
I have a Fenwick eagle GT 7M that was 79.00. Great tube and jerkbait rod.

I also bought a Fenwick HMG 7MH spinning rod for my gf. I have a 76MLS for throwing hair jigs and small inline spinners. Fenwick makes some solid "budget" rods IMO.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:09 am

Wife and I were in North Carolina last week and stopped into an Academy store. I was surprised to find this 7' Medium power/Fast action casting rod rated for 1/8oz to 1/2oz. I've been looking for a rod to throw smaller balsa cranks and other moving baits as smaller baits can be the ticket up here in the fall. For $29.99 I couldn't pass it up ... cork handle and foregrip with EVA butt cap. While certainly not AAA cork, it's far from the pockmarked low grade junk that you find on some rods. 10 guides including the tip. The blank is straight, and overall a nice clean understated build, no epoxy drips or runs. No name seat and guides, but for $30 what do you expect ? The extent of my experience with Academy products is mostly their H2O line of hard baits that a buddy in Mississippi sends me on occasion. I'm very impressed with the quality of them. I've read a lot of positive buzz on their whole H2O lineup of products so I'm not too concerned.

This morning I mounted my Tsurinoya XF-50 casting reel spooled with 10 lb Sufix Performance braid/6 lb mono leader on it and tied on a 1/4oz Bagley Honey B balsa crank with the hardware removed to see what I could get out of it in the back yard. I purposely chose the Honey B as it's one of the more difficult baits to get any distance from as it has no rattles or weight transfer system to assist it. I was quite surprised at the results, I got more than acceptable distance and accuracy out of it. Of course we'll have to see how it actually performs on the water but I'm stoked to see how it does tomorrow. I'll follow up after I get some time with it.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:02 pm

Daiwa AirdX 7' heavy

Great rod for large topwater and open water frog fishing. Picked up for a guest rod and grab it a lot more than rods 6 times it's price.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Had a Gen1 Omen 71MH that I really liked. Great all around rod

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:18 pm

I do not.