Daiwa Kage Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa Kage Rods

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:11 pm

Does anyone use these? How about the casting rods...particularly the 71MXF and the 73MHF. Looking for input on comparison to other models in the price range and other rods within the Daiwa lineup. Thanks!

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Re: Daiwa Kage Rods

Post by rollyourboat » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:19 pm

I have the 73MHF. Phenomenal rods for the price. Because they're only sold by mom and pop shops not a lot of people talk about them but I'll try my best.

I've only handled the 71MXF and it feels exactly like how it sounds. A light Texas Rig, Jig, Weightless plastic, maybe borderline bfs if you want a beefier rod, but it's a true medium with a soft tip. The 74H has always been daiwa's frog rod and it does that just as well as the higher tier daiwa's. But the 73MH truly a versatile rod. I've thrown just about everything on it. Swim jigs, Chatterbait, Spinnerbait, Buzzbait, 3/8 Jigs and T-Rigs, "bigger" Topwater, handles everything within its weight range perfectly. I did some more digging and on paper it should be the same as the tatula elite and regular Tatula only difference is the regular ($150) Tatula uses fazelight guides while the elite and Kage use alconite. But for some weird reason the Kage although it should be the same other than cosmetic, feels lighter and more responsive than the other two even though it should be the same blank. I'd say comparing a Kage to Tatula Elite Zodias, Avid, Villian 2.0 and E6x the Kage fishes above it's price point. I won't say it's an Expride or something in the $300 range but it definitely feels like a $250 rod and I wish they made one with ags guides. In fact if you watch some W2F videos the ones with Seth Feider, he uses the 73MH Kage ALOT both in real tournaments and how to videos. He says he prefers a MH rod because H is overkill unless you are legitimately flipping or using 5/8 oz and up. Though if you look at the description or the cutscenes they'll always say he's using a Tatula Elite. Don't quote me on this BUT I did hear from a few sources that the Kage uses the old steez blank and in my experience with it feeling better than the tatula elite I would believe it. Another thing is when I compared the tatula elite 73MH next to the Kage 73MH, the Kage had a thinner diameter but don't let it fool you. I've frogged with it here in MN where the weeds are THICC and it gets the job done, but I don't recommend though. Overall I'd say it's great for everything I named. For 1/4 - 3/8 Jigs and T-Rigs it's got a soft enough tip to skip really well and work them and sensitive enough where you won't be missing bites. But it really shines for moving single hook baits. The rod loads really well for casting distance and has the right amount of tip where you aren't over working and pull or rip the bait out. When the fish hits and you set on a moving bait, the tip loads and has a nice bend to keep the fish pinned but once you get to the backbone you can really horse it in if you wanted too. Hope that helps!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 am

That's a great write-up, thanks! I might have to look into these

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:22 am

great write up indeed!

I just feel Daiwa has a little bit too much offerings in the 150-200$ range (Rebellion, Kage, Tatula Elite, Tatula, and I think JDM Cronos is still available). I don't understand why they leave a huge gap between 200-400$ except a few Tatula AGS rods?

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:50 am

StymoDe wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:22 am
great write up indeed!

I just feel Daiwa has a little bit too much offerings in the 150-200$ range (Rebellion, Kage, Tatula Elite, Tatula, and I think JDM Cronos is still available). I don't understand why they leave a huge gap between 200-400$ except a few Tatula AGS rods?
I agree. The tatula ags are pretty neat but they don't have that premium feel the Expride and Orochi does. The BLX at least from what I've read seems to be good but still mediocre in its price range. Hopefully daiwa brings something interesting to the table in that $300-$400 range.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:31 pm

rollyourboat wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:19 pm
I have the 73MHF. Phenomenal rods for the price. Because they're only sold by mom and pop shops not a lot of people talk about them but I'll try my best.

I've only handled the 71MXF and it feels exactly like how it sounds. A light Texas Rig, Jig, Weightless plastic, maybe borderline bfs if you want a beefier rod, but it's a true medium with a soft tip. The 74H has always been daiwa's frog rod and it does that just as well as the higher tier daiwa's. But the 73MH truly a versatile rod. I've thrown just about everything on it. Swim jigs, Chatterbait, Spinnerbait, Buzzbait, 3/8 Jigs and T-Rigs, "bigger" Topwater, handles everything within its weight range perfectly. I did some more digging and on paper it should be the same as the tatula elite and regular Tatula only difference is the regular ($150) Tatula uses fazelight guides while the elite and Kage use alconite. But for some weird reason the Kage although it should be the same other than cosmetic, feels lighter and more responsive than the other two even though it should be the same blank. I'd say comparing a Kage to Tatula Elite Zodias, Avid, Villian 2.0 and E6x the Kage fishes above it's price point. I won't say it's an Expride or something in the $300 range but it definitely feels like a $250 rod and I wish they made one with ags guides. In fact if you watch some W2F videos the ones with Seth Feider, he uses the 73MH Kage ALOT both in real tournaments and how to videos. He says he prefers a MH rod because H is overkill unless you are legitimately flipping or using 5/8 oz and up. Though if you look at the description or the cutscenes they'll always say he's using a Tatula Elite. Don't quote me on this BUT I did hear from a few sources that the Kage uses the old steez blank and in my experience with it feeling better than the tatula elite I would believe it. Another thing is when I compared the tatula elite 73MH next to the Kage 73MH, the Kage had a thinner diameter but don't let it fool you. I've frogged with it here in MN where the weeds are THICC and it gets the job done, but I don't recommend though. Overall I'd say it's great for everything I named. For 1/4 - 3/8 Jigs and T-Rigs it's got a soft enough tip to skip really well and work them and sensitive enough where you won't be missing bites. But it really shines for moving single hook baits. The rod loads really well for casting distance and has the right amount of tip where you aren't over working and pull or rip the bait out. When the fish hits and you set on a moving bait, the tip loads and has a nice bend to keep the fish pinned but once you get to the backbone you can really horse it in if you wanted too. Hope that helps!
Thank you for such an awesome write-up. I had the chance to get one of these as a great price so I jumped on it. It is still in the mail so hopefully it is really nice!

Slougo
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Slougo » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:42 pm

I just purchased Daiwa Kage 7' MF spinning rod, haven't fished it yet. But I was Shocked at the Small guides! Does anyone know how this rod will accept say 10#J-braid with 10# flouro leader knot?

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:52 am

I talk a lot about my love of shorter rods. The write up on the 73MH had me curious.

Just found one online for $150 shipped and so I took the plunge.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:53 am

Slougo wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:42 pm
I just purchased Daiwa Kage 7' MF spinning rod, haven't fished it yet. But I was Shocked at the Small guides! Does anyone know how this rod will accept say 10#J-braid with 10# flouro leader knot?
Should be ok, if you use the FG knot.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:57 am

I got my Kage 73MH

I hate to sound like a broken record across my posts, but I just don't understand Daiwa anymore.

This rod is more expensive than the Tatual and yet cosmetically it is a huge downgrade. There are no logos on reel seat, it is unpainted, and just looks like a step down in price point and overall cheap. The biggest sin is not trimming the reel seat treads and having exposed treads with sharp edges. I can overlook this on a $50 AirdX (which I bad ass for the price), but for a $189 msrp it is not right.

Also, I have to again ask why Daiwa treats their distribution partners so poorly. If they are not being undercut on ebay, they are given a lack luster "special" product like this Kage rod. Hard to be a tackle shop these days.

I hate to be so critical, but as a life long Daiwa fan it sucks. I have 6 Zillion rods from 2015 and they can't give me something in the ballpark since. Still chasing the TDZ glory and recently Hyper-ed out.

I see the competition putting high end tech into mid priced rods. At the same time, I've bought all the latest Daiwa rods and the 2015 Tatua(black/gold) and Zillion are still better feeling, lighter, and fit and finish than the new stuff. I shouldn't have to go Steez AGS to get past Tatula Elite performance. Big holes in the line up.

If you really want to see something cool, look at Daiwa Australia. I don't know who designs their stuff, but it not only looks cool, but seems to really be intouch with their consumer. Check out the Daiwa Black Label "Jiggy Smalls" rod, I want that so bad. The rods are named Beefsteak and Porkchop, it just seems like they are having more fun and giving people something special for their hard earned money.

Both Daiwa Japan and USA are honestly boring these days and I feel like they just want my money.

Back to the rod:
As for the blank, the action and power is very nice. It loads so well and without casting seems to have the tip and backbone dialed in for a true all purpose rod. Would have liked one more guide to get a better curve as it had some flat spots and blank rubbing.

Grumpy old man out haha

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:52 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:57 am
I got my Kage 73MH

I hate to sound like a broken record across my posts, but I just don't understand Daiwa anymore.

This rod is more expensive than the Tatual and yet cosmetically it is a huge downgrade. There are no logos on reel seat, it is unpainted, and just looks like a step down in price point and overall cheap. The biggest sin is not trimming the reel seat treads and having exposed treads with sharp edges. I can overlook this on a $50 AirdX (which I bad ass for the price), but for a $189 msrp it is not right.

Also, I have to again ask why Daiwa treats their distribution partners so poorly. If they are not being undercut on ebay, they are given a lack luster "special" product like this Kage rod. Hard to be a tackle shop these days.

I hate to be so critical, but as a life long Daiwa fan it sucks. I have 6 Zillion rods from 2015 and they can't give me something in the ballpark since. Still chasing the TDZ glory and recently Hyper-ed out.

I see the competition putting high end tech into mid priced rods. At the same time, I've bought all the latest Daiwa rods and the 2015 Tatua(black/gold) and Zillion are still better feeling, lighter, and fit and finish than the new stuff. I shouldn't have to go Steez AGS to get past Tatula Elite performance. Big holes in the line up.

If you really want to see something cool, look at Daiwa Australia. I don't know who designs their stuff, but it not only looks cool, but seems to really be intouch with their consumer. Check out the Daiwa Black Label "Jiggy Smalls" rod, I want that so bad. The rods are named Beefsteak and Porkchop, it just seems like they are having more fun and giving people something special for their hard earned money.

Both Daiwa Japan and USA are honestly boring these days and I feel like they just want my money.

Back to the rod:
As for the blank, the action and power is very nice. It loads so well and without casting seems to have the tip and backbone dialed in for a true all purpose rod. Would have liked one more guide to get a better curve as it had some flat spots and blank rubbing.

Grumpy old man out haha
Daiwa’s problem can be boiled down to one thing: Americans want it all and pay nothing for it. They tried to bring over some Daiwa JDM level stuff and it rotted on the shelves. NOW ... that’s not to indict the American consumer, why should Americans pay top dollar when JDM sites are discounting prices?

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:08 pm

The whole Kage line is a great concept to help independent retailers aka mom n pop retailers compete!

The reels are great and i enjoy the rods!

Shop local and help small businesses!