Tube rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Denius
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Tube rod

Post by Denius » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:23 am

Hey folks, super happy to have found this site. Tons of great info.

Im interested to see what everyone’s tube rod preference is? I’ve fished with a st croix legend which had nice sensitivity, is light and just all around a nice rod.
Is there anything Similar with a lesser price than the premium that st croix charges for their rods?

What would you guys suggest?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tube rod

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:27 pm

Welcome aboard! :welc:

Are you thinking spinning or casting?

Denius
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Denius » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Spinning.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:43 pm

It would be helpful if you could provide a ballpark price range. Also anything specific you might prefer in a rod. With so many options on the markets, you might as well get as close to exactly what you want.

Denius
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Denius » Fri May 01, 2020 5:08 am

Around the 200 mark. Just looking for something sensitive as a lot of times the bass lightly pickup the tubes, but with enough power to pull 4+lb bass through the current of the river

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Fri May 01, 2020 7:10 am

I threw plastics on 1/8 oz jighead including tubes and keitechs and even neds quite a bit on 76 mml tatula bass. I mostly used it wading rivers for smallies and liked it a lot.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri May 01, 2020 7:29 am

I have the Loomis E6X spinning rod that is the 7'5 JWR 892S and really like to for tubes and keitechs.
its awesome and i believe its within your budget.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:59 am

The Megabass Levante Enforcer whenever they are back in stock is a great rod

Denius
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Denius » Fri May 01, 2020 4:23 pm

i_am_R2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:59 am
How is it?? Have you compared it to other rods

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat May 02, 2020 4:15 am

How heavy a tube are you using...? I have the MML Tatula and think it will be way too light to throw a tube with. I use it for neko rigs and light hair jigs, and the tip is REALLY light. I feel like it would blow out casting anything heavier than 3/16 oz total weight and that's probably being generous, especially considering the hook thickness on most tube jigs. I also have the 7'3" MXF Tatula and I feel it's much better suited to throwing tubes.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sat May 02, 2020 8:17 am

I threw 4 in tubes on 1/8 oz jig with 76 mml and never felt undergunnned. I dont have 73 mxf so cant comment, but I have 7 m and 76 mml was better for tubes in my hands.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat May 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Denius wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:23 pm
i_am_R2 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:59 am
How is it?? Have you compared it to other rods
I have fished legend elites as well but like this rod a little better. Less sensitive than the elite but still very good and to me more comfortable. I should have said earlier I don't fish tubes much because I never seem to get bit on them where I fish but use the rod for dark sleepers and small jigs dragging and popping them (which is similar if I'm not mistaken) as well as power shotting and it has a great tip for these techniques while having some backbone to set the hook and smooth MB fish fighting characteristics. Hope this helps!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 pm

Maybe take a look at the Phenix Feather and new M1. They could work for you.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun May 03, 2020 4:54 am

rando wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:17 am
I threw 4 in tubes on 1/8 oz jig with 76 mml and never felt undergunnned. I dont have 73 mxf so cant comment, but I have 7 m and 76 mml was better for tubes in my hands.
Next time I'm out with it, I'll tie one on and see how it feels. Maybe I'm missing out!

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:25 am

I fish tubes all year long for great lakes smallies and can share my favorite spinning rods for each occasion.

All around Tube rod-- 13 Envy 2 7'3" mag-medium. This rod is fantastic for fishing shallow to 40+ feet of water and handles light mini tubes to 1/2 tubes with a great tip that it perfect for dragging and finessing around cover. If you fish tubes by drifting and dragging, this is perfect.

The back bone is crucial in deepwater or cold seasons when its difficult to get a solid hook set. It casts far, hands a wide array if tube sizes and weights, and is very sensitive!

G. Loomis Conquest 7' medium classic
This is a unique choice for a very specialized tube retrival methods and situations. It is not as stiff as the NRX and has a more parabolic action that excels for accurate castability and the tip is perfect for finesse jigging movements to coax picky smallies and for "snapping" tubes to trigger inactive schools to bite and turn on! This rod is made for working tubes and castinf long distances accurately.

7'3" Medium G. Loomis NRX is probably the best tube rod ever made. This is the rod with astounding sensitivity in deep water. It has a mix of rod tip action for both draggibg and snapping a tube. It handles a wide vareity of tubes and weights. If you wanted to get the best spinning tube rod and leave any other rods behind, this is the rod to get. You wi have no buyer's remorse!

But the 7'3" 13 envy rod fishes just like it but for $250 cheaper with a small fraction of sensitivity decreased. The conquest is a specialty rod but can be aquired if it suits your needs in the future!

If all these rod recommendations are still at too high of a price point, you cant go wrong with the 13 Omen spinning rod in 7'1" medium or 7'1" medium heavy. Its your best bang for the buck!