Zodias 6’8ML Spinning

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zodias 6’8ML Spinning

Post by bwjay » Fri May 01, 2020 8:43 pm

I got one of these on sale recently, hoping for a decently sensitive rod that my girlfriend can use when we go fishing while I stick to my baitcasters. I picked it up the other day and took it out for some crappie fishing with a bobber and small jig head, as well as some small moving baits. It’s listed as a moderate-fast taper which seems about right. All I can say is I’m quickly falling in love with this rod. I’ve caught maybe a dozen largemouth from a quarter pound to 3 pounds on it, along with a big pumpkinseed and a few slab crappies. I’ve only lost 2 fish on it, I think, just popped off as I was reeling in. It happens. But as far as I can tell, this is an excellent moving bait rod. I had a blast catching some 12” crappies on a size 1 Mepps black fury today, they gulped it and I felt the hit and just swept into them. They were so big I genuinely thought they were bass until I saw them up close.

I haven’t had a chance to catch anything on a jig with them yet, or via any bottom contact baits, since bass are out of season until next weekend, but I did throw out a Ned rig real quick to see how the rod loaded and how much I could feel a mud bottom with some sticks and old weeds and it’s decently sensitive. I'm hoping it will prove to be a decent Ned rig rid. I'm guessing it will be a great drop shot rod.

I think one thing that I love is how far I can cast light baits with the light whippy tip. I was throwing a size 1 Mepps 30-40 feet into a stiff 15-20mph headwind today. Without the wind I can throw it further obviously, but with the wind I was surprised. It’s even pretty accurate. I’ve had an absolute blast casting and fighting fish with it. It’s quickly becoming my favorite spinning rod ever. I’m not a big spinning gear guy but I think this one will always be coming out with me. It’s just fun to use.

I couldn't find much info on this rod online, so I thought I'd share my two cents. Hope this helps! Would love to hear your thoughts if you have one as well.