Dobyns Xtasy 754 Impressions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dobyns Xtasy 754 Impressions

Post by Drakestar » Sat May 02, 2020 4:37 pm

I got a Dobyns Xtasy 754c during their last sale, and figured I should write up some impressions for future reference. This is my first Dobyns rod that isn't from the SB lineup. I've fished this rod on five trips and caught ~10 fish on it (all between 1.75 and 3 lbs). Here are some impressions:

Looks
I've seen the aesthetics of this rod compared to JDM rods, and I have an FMJ for comparison so I figure I'll just post a couple of images of both sticks. I think the Destroyer looks better, but the Xtasy looks very good. (I don't care much for the logo, but that might just be me.)
IMG_1453b.jpg
IMG_1453b.jpg (94.83 KiB) Viewed 9084 times
IMG_1461b.jpg
IMG_1461b.jpg (94.14 KiB) Viewed 9081 times
IMG_1461c.jpg
IMG_1461c.jpg (136.56 KiB) Viewed 9065 times
(Sorry for the look, I had to go through Photoshop gymnastics to get the filesize below 100kb, and white areas are easy to compress.)

Reel Pairing
IMO you'll want a 150-size reel on this rod, and at least 7:1 for the long rod. I ended up with a new Chronarch MGL in 8:1. (The high gear ratio helps a lot snagged t-rigged senkos come flying towards you as you rip them free.) Anything chrome, black or white will look killer on this rod.
IMG_1458b.jpg
IMG_1458b.jpg (114.66 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Balance
Awesome, as I expected from a Dobyns rod. This isn't the lightest rod (around 5oz), but it balances incredibly well and is a joy to fish.
IMG_1464b.jpg
IMG_1464b.jpg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 9080 times

Casting
It casts a mile. I intially had a Curado 70 on this rod (which felt too small), and I almost reached my backing line. The tip loads up extremely well (much better than on the FMJ) and the length does the rest. I've mostly thrown t-rigged stickbaits (1/8oz or 3/16oz weights), and that works well. No problem at all with 1/2 jig + trailer, either. Haven't tried heavier baits yet, but I've read that it handles 1oz+ well.

Sensitivity
It's plenty sensitive. That's all you need to know, right? :lol:

Alright, alright... is it as sensitive as an NRX? I honestly don't know because I don't own a comparable NRX; I have an 822 DSR, but no 894 or 873. What I do have is this lineup: GLX 843 MBR, Xtasy 754, Destroyer FMJ, GLX 855 JWR. The Xtasy feels like it belongs in that arsenal: it feels about as sensitive as the GLX 843 (even though it's a full power up!), and it feels as sensitive as the FMJ (even though it's 4 inches longer!) It doesn't feel anywhere as heavy as the GLX 855, or the FMJ for that matter - but I feel that, when pressed, it probably has the same backbone as the FMJ.

IMHO: if that NRX comparison is the first thing that comes to your mind, just get an NRX. You'll be happier not wondering. Personally, I've gotten to the point where I like rods that are "really sensitive" but that also fish well (and look good). Never mind the last 1% of sensitivity. The Xtasy fits the bill: it fishes very well, and it's so sensitive that I can feel a 1/2oz jig scraping down a rock. I can feel it whipping and working a light t-rigged fluke (1/8oz weight) - I don't do that on the FMJ. And I haven't missed a bite on this rod yet, even when fishing through snaggy grass with constant false positives: every actual bite felt distinct and I found myself reacting instinctively.

Final Thoughts
I got this rod as my heavy t-rig rod (through cover and tule edges), and it's already paid off in spades. It looks to be a good jig rod, as well, so maybe the FMJ will have to deal with a small quarterback controversy. I was lucky enough to buy this rod at 40% off, so whether I'm happy with that purchase is a no-brainer: of course. Based on the experience, I'd probably get another Xtasy if there's a hole in my lineup.
Last edited by Drakestar on Sat May 02, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Dobyns Xtasy 754 Impressions

Post by Drakestar » Sat May 02, 2020 4:41 pm

If you're looking to make a buying decision in the future, here are a few more board discussions that discuss the same rod for more reference:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79416

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... pressions/

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=82487

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishi ... -nrx-894c/

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=987837

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri May 15, 2020 12:41 pm

Nice review, thanks. I was very curious on the Xtasy line, as I had been a Dobyns homer for some time - All XP's and DX/HP's in my rod lineup. But I just couldn't get over the Xtasy pricing for a China blank. I decided for that kind of money I might as well give the NRX a try. Wound up with 6 NRX's and sold all my HP's. I still have the XP's for cranks and movers and the like, but all my feel/bottom gear is NRX now.

I have no doubt Gary built a nice rod in the Xtasy, it just wasn't for me based on the price and manufacturing aspect of it, unfortunately.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri May 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Been throwing swim jigs and underspins (3.8 and 4.3 Keitechs) on this rod a lot and I continue to be impressed. Caught 30 fish so far, usually in thick grass, and I never felt underpowered, always kept the fish pinned, and never did not notice a bite that I’m aware of (I missed a couple of fish, but that was user error 8-[ ). The casting distance I get is awesome and essential from the bank to get passed the grass line. I’m not considering any new rods ATM, but when I do another Xtasy will be on the shortlist.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri May 15, 2020 7:21 pm

78Staff wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:41 pm
Nice review, thanks. I was very curious on the Xtasy line, as I had been a Dobyns homer for some time - All XP's and DX/HP's in my rod lineup. But I just couldn't get over the Xtasy pricing for a China blank. I decided for that kind of money I might as well give the NRX a try. Wound up with 6 NRX's and sold all my HP's. I still have the XP's for cranks and movers and the like, but all my feel/bottom gear is NRX now.

I have no doubt Gary built a nice rod in the Xtasy, it just wasn't for me based on the price and manufacturing aspect of it, unfortunately.
I think those are totally valid reasons, especially when fishing rods are so much about confidence and things feeling right in your hands. I guess those arguments don’t register as strongly with me because I’m multinational (dual citizen), and I figure Dobyns is still an American company that supports American employees. Meanwhile G Loomis is owned by Shimano, who (if you listen to people in the bicycle scene) are The Devil and homogenizing everything.

Do I believe that, or care? Hell no, just using it as a devil’s advocate example. (I have three Exprides and three GLX/NRX rods, as well, and fish them with delight.)

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 am

Is the rod a true fast action rod?
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat May 16, 2020 5:45 am

Drakestar wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:21 pm
78Staff wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:41 pm

I think those are totally valid reasons, especially when fishing rods are so much about confidence and things feeling right in your hands. I guess those arguments don’t register as strongly with me because I’m multinational (dual citizen), and I figure Dobyns is still an American company that supports American employees. Meanwhile G Loomis is owned by Shimano, who (if you listen to people in the bicycle scene) are The Devil and homogenizing everything.

Do I believe that, or care? Hell no, just using it as a devil’s advocate example. (I have three Exprides and three GLX/NRX rods, as well, and fish them with delight.)
lol valid on Shimano... In my younger more active days, I did some road cycling and was definitely in the Campagnolo...camp :).

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat May 16, 2020 12:39 pm

falcon wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 am
Is the rod a true fast action rod?
It has a fast (not XF) tip in my eyes, yes. Lots of flex before it transitions into power, but I don’t feel like I have to swing for the fences just to drive a hook. I’m fishing in 10 feet of water or less, though. I read in one of these threads (check links above) that it might be too slow for jigging in deep (20+ feet of water).

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:17 pm

IMO I have both the 754 and 755 and definitely would move up to the 755 with jigs or anything 5/8oz. Or so and up. I’ve had both now for about a year and love em. To me me they cast like a fast action but load up a little slower and further down the blank as stated above. I have an original green 873 nrx that’s pretty much got all of the clear coat worn off of it I use it so much and the 2 Dobyns are sitting on deck next to it on just about every trip.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:40 am

barrys wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:17 pm
IMO I have both the 754 and 755 and definitely would move up to the 755 with jigs or anything 5/8oz. Or so and up. I’ve had both now for about a year and love em. To me me they cast like a fast action but load up a little slower and further down the blank as stated above. I have an original green 873 nrx that’s pretty much got all of the clear coat worn off of it I use it so much and the 2 Dobyns are sitting on deck next to it on just about every trip.
I will second this based on my experience with my two 755s over the past few months. I absolutely love the rods, but I would stick with the 5 power if going over 1/2oz at all.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:23 am

I've been throwing lots of 5/0 underspins with 4.8" Keitechs (total around 0.78oz) and 1/2 jigs plus trailer on the 754. And I've gone as low as 1/8 bullet weight + stick bait or flukes. Both ends of the spectrum feel fine.

I go to a GLX855 to throw 3/4oz jigs comfortably. (I assume the Xtasy 755 is a match there). The 754 can do 3/4oz+, but it feels a bit underpowered. Same thing happens on the FMJ btw (which I still use as my main jig rod) - it handle 3/4oz jigs + trailer, but doesn't feel ideal and the 855 feels better.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:35 am

Oh, and this rod DOES have power. I had to pull out a few 2-3 pounders + tons of grass caught on weedless underspins - the rod groaned but never buckled. I use an Expride 7'3" XH as my frog rod and have encountered the same "fish salads" there (including the rod groaning) - the Expride is obviously way stouter, but the 754 felt like it was up for the job.