light side of 7' m/mh tatula elite?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

light side of 7' m/mh tatula elite?

Post by Jason Penn » Wed May 20, 2020 5:44 am

will this rod effectively handle 1/8-3/16oz jigheads with finesse worms? i want a bfs-ish rod, but i'm not really planning to throw crappie jigs with it.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: light side of 7' m/mh tatula elite?

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 am

I would think so. My friend has a pair of them and he uses them for 1/10oz (I think) Ned rigs, so around 3/16-1/4oz total weight.

jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jte54 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:04 am

Is that Tak's All-Around spinning rod? If so, it will handle them fine. I have one of them and I love it. The rod is "different" though. The rod casts like a medium, but the hook set feels like a soft MH if that makes any sense. I've used mine for shooting docks for crappie with a 1/16 oz head with thicker crappie tube style bait and put a finesse TRD on the same jig head and used it for ned rigging. It does great for wacky rigging senkos, but I feel that a 3/16 oz. shakey head with zoom trick worm is about max of what that rod should be used for. The rod casted/loaded lighter than what I expected it would judging by it rating and how it felt before line was ran through the guides. I still love the rod though and it skips shakey heads, neko, and wacky rigs great. It truly is an all-around spinning rod. Hope this helps.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm

i forgot all about the tak spinning rod, i was talking about the ags casting.

i've been looking for a bfs-ish rod. i'm planning on using 8-10# fc....maybe 12 at times. i do want some backbone to the rod though, as i plan to throw some 3/16 jigs with it.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sat May 23, 2020 6:23 pm

I have two of them and love them. I throw 3 inch tubes with 1/8 ounce heads a lot, and also 1/8 ounce of 3/16 jigs with trailers for winter river smallmouth. I've also fished 4 inch worms with 1/16 ounce shakey heads for spots with them and it's also good with heavier baits like a weightless 5 inch senko. It's really a very versatile rod and the guide train makes it very sensitive.

The rod also has a lot of guts for when you hook up with a 5 pound plus smallie, so you won't feel overpowered by the fish. It's really near perfect for most of the fishing I do in the river. I have 7 Tat Elite BC rods and this one is my favorite, next would be the 6-9 skipping rod, which while much stiffer overall has enough tip to work with the smaller jigs as well.

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Don't want to hijack thread, but seeing as how similar they are, does anyone know how this rod compares to the PA 611M+?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon May 25, 2020 2:59 pm

rollyourboat wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 pm
Don't want to hijack thread, but seeing as how similar they are, does anyone know how this rod compares to the PA 611M+?
I have a PA 611M+ And have done a brief bit of side-by-side fishing. The m/mh has a lighter tip for sure but they feel close when you bend them. The latest thing I throw on my 611m+ is a weightless Trickworm at like 1/4oz and it doesn’t load the tip super well but my buddy seems to have no issue with small poppers and 3/16oz tw Neds on his m/mh.

Once you get above the very low end they start seeming like very similar powers.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon May 25, 2020 3:02 pm

rollyourboat wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:45 pm
I have a PA 611M+ And have done a brief bit of side-by-side fishing. The m/mh has a lighter tip for sure but they feel close when you bend them. The latest thing I throw on my 611m+ is a weightless Trickworm at like 1/4oz and it doesn’t load the tip super well but my buddy seems to have no issue with small poppers and 3/16oz tw Neds on his m/mh.

Once you get above the very low end they start seeming like very similar powers.

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Mon May 25, 2020 6:36 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:02 pm

Guess that makes sense considering the m/MH is rated 1/8 vs the m+ is only 1/4. Would you say the PA is lighter /more sensitive?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon May 25, 2020 7:06 pm

I couldn’t really say, it was a while ago and I had only had the PA for a couple of days at that point.