Steez AGS Spinning Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez AGS Spinning Rods

Post by reason162 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:26 am

Anyone have the 7'M? How is the tip action on that rod...will you fish 1/8oz jigheads + swimbaits on it, or too stiff? Ned rigs?

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez AGS Spinning Rods

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 am

Have the ML and ML/M and you will like these rods. Im sure the medium is somewhere in between. Super light electric feel.
Philippians 4:6

Gregbassoholic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gregbassoholic » Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am

I have ml xf and I think this one will be perfect for you . In my opinion medium can be too much for ned and 1/8 oz jig heads.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri May 29, 2020 8:05 pm

I'm curious why the 7'6" mml is always brought up as a "special" rod. Shouldn't the ML and M be on the same level as the MML just a little different power? (I guess maybe the MML would be versatile enough to eliminate the need to own the ML and M?). Anyway I've been tempted to buy the ML more than once.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sat May 30, 2020 8:58 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:05 pm
I'm curious why the 7'6" mml is always brought up as a "special" rod. Shouldn't the ML and M be on the same level as the MML just a little different power? (I guess maybe the MML would be versatile enough to eliminate the need to own the ML and M?). Anyway I've been tempted to buy the ML more than once.
All blanks are not created equal even though they are in the same lineup. Just look at the NRX line for this. The 893, 894, 873, and 852 are considered special by many. You don't hear much about the 853, 854, or 822 SYR.

The 7'6 MML taper is special. The tip is that of ML and it has a medium power backbone. This leads it to be very versatile. Combine that with the AGS guides and blank to make it super sensitive. Also, most 7'6 rods are super tip heavy. This rod balances like a shorter rod which also makes it sensitive.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat May 30, 2020 4:16 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:58 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
All blanks are not created equal even though they are in the same lineup. Just look at the NRX line for this. The 893, 894, 873, and 852 are considered special by many. You don't hear much about the 853, 854, or 822 SYR.

The 7'6 MML taper is special. The tip is that of ML and it has a medium power backbone. This leads it to be very versatile. Combine that with the AGS guides and blank to make it super sensitive. Also, most 7'6 rods are super tip heavy. This rod balances like a shorter rod which also makes it sensitive.
Thanks for the explanation. I don't have any personal experience with the NRX line but I may have to buy one since most rods are compared to them. I guess I just have a hard time with sensitivity. I've spent lots of money on different rods that were supposed to be sensitive and I don't really feel much. (Although, last time I went fishing I swear I heard or felt a faint "tick" twice last time I used my Abu fantasista rod and both times I set the hook and caught the fish). I took my poison adrena, poison glorious, steez bottom contact, and a rod built on an x-ray blank today and caught a lot of fish but besides feeling pressure on the line I didn't feel much.

Anyway, I'm getting off the topic. I'd be interested to hear what the OP goes with and what they think of it. I pre ordered a steez 76mml and hoping the early June delivery date doesn't get pushed back. I almost went with ml because I'm impatient.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat May 30, 2020 8:01 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 4:16 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

I took my poison adrena, poison glorious, steez bottom contact, and a rod built on an x-ray blank today and caught a lot of fish but besides feeling pressure on the line I didn't feel much.
sorry to say but if u don't feel the fish on these rods, u're not gonna feel much on the nrx either

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat May 30, 2020 9:10 pm

Chode wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:01 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

I took my poison adrena, poison glorious, steez bottom contact, and a rod built on an x-ray blank today and caught a lot of fish but besides feeling pressure on the line I didn't feel much.
sorry to say but if u don't feel the fish on these rods, u're not gonna feel much on the nrx either
Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the case. I'm not really going to buy anymore rods. (Except the steez AGS spinning rod I ordered since my youngest son claimed my last spinning setup). I may play with different line though.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat May 30, 2020 11:47 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:10 pm
Chode wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the case. I'm not really going to buy anymore rods. (Except the steez AGS spinning rod I ordered since my youngest son claimed my last spinning setup). I may play with different line though.
what line r u using? i use strictly braid to leader to enhance sensitivity as much as possible. i run 30 or 40 lb suffix 832 to 12-14lb sniper for typical bottom contact stuff. also, since it's braid, I try not to have any slack on the line

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Sun May 31, 2020 6:45 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Chode wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:

I was also going to ask what line you are using. I was using a rod very recently matched with a good 12lb Fluoro (Sniper) and sensitivity was very impressive. I swapped reels to one with mono and the sensitivity loss was shocking. Since I only use mono now for topwater I had forgotten the difference Fluoro makes in feel. Obviously, braid would take it up another notch.

Also, what Bottom composition are you typically fishing? Rock (even scattered) and Wood should be easily felt with the rods you mentioned. Clay/mud, quite frankly is hard to discern with any rod. I’m not sure about grass as I don’t fish it. Also, lure weight can play a roll in feel.

Back on original topic, I have also pre-ordered the 761 MML Steez Rod and look forward to using it as my open water spinning rod. I will use braid with a Fluoro leader so I’m hoping sensitivity will be impressive and the rod has the “it” factor!

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:00 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Anyway, I'm getting off the topic. I'd be interested to hear what the OP goes with and what they think of it. I pre ordered a steez 76mml and hoping the early June delivery date doesn't get pushed back. I almost went with ml because I'm impatient.
I ended up pre-ordering the 76MML as well...a rod I've fished with in the past, and it is indeed a unicorn.

Probably too long for comfortable transport, and I'll have to take extra care to not high stick it while landing fish in the yak, but I figured an Exist LT deserves a worthy rod to pair it with. I'm sure the 7' Steezes are great, but with that extra length comes room to give it a unique, versatile taper. Would make a great big river/bank beating rod for smallies as well, something I hope to do more of in the future. My recollection of my friend's 7'6MML was light - crisp - balanced - and very, very sensitive. Hopefully I'll get to confirm those impressions soon!

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun May 31, 2020 3:09 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:00 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
I ended up pre-ordering the 76MML as well...a rod I've fished with in the past, and it is indeed a unicorn.

Probably too long for comfortable transport, and I'll have to take extra care to not high stick it while landing fish in the yak, but I figured an Exist LT deserves a worthy rod to pair it with. I'm sure the 7' Steezes are great, but with that extra length comes room to give it a unique, versatile taper. Would make a great big river/bank beating rod for smallies as well, something I hope to do more of in the future. My recollection of my friend's 7'6MML was light - crisp - balanced - and very, very sensitive. Hopefully I'll get to confirm those impressions soon!
Awesome, thanks for the update and info on your buddies 7'6MML. I wanted the exist lt but decided to give the certate lt a try. Hopefully they get a lot of 761MML's in soon haha.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun May 31, 2020 3:25 pm

Chode wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:47 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Chode wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

what line r u using? i use strictly braid to leader to enhance sensitivity as much as possible. i run 30 or 40 lb suffix 832 to 12-14lb sniper for typical bottom contact stuff. also, since it's braid, I try not to have any slack on the line
I just took the poison adrena, steez bottom contact, and the rod built on the x-ray blank out for the first time yesterday. All were using 14lb shooter fluorocarbon (tatula elite, steez A, and TD Fuego reels). The posoin glorious (ML) also has shooter but the 9lb finesse and a '12 Aldebaran bfs reel (this is my favorite combo right now). The Abu rod I mentioned in the earlier post was a jdm Abu Garcia fantasista regista (M) with spiral wrapped guides and a shimano scorpion 1001xt and is the only setup with braid (20lb powerpro super8slick V2 with to 10lb assassin or sniper fluorocarbon leader.).

It was incredibly windy yesterday which means I was spending a lot of time adjusting the boat with the trolling motor and helping my son with all the issues he runs into fishing. So some distractions that could take away from paying attention to the rod. Still a fun day

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun May 31, 2020 3:49 pm

Tigerbass wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:45 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Chode wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

I was also going to ask what line you are using. I was using a rod very recently matched with a good 12lb Fluoro (Sniper) and sensitivity was very impressive. I swapped reels to one with mono and the sensitivity loss was shocking. Since I only use mono now for topwater I had forgotten the difference Fluoro makes in feel. Obviously, braid would take it up another notch.

Also, what Bottom composition are you typically fishing? Rock (even scattered) and Wood should be easily felt with the rods you mentioned. Clay/mud, quite frankly is hard to discern with any rod. I’m not sure about grass as I don’t fish it. Also, lure weight can play a roll in feel.

Back on original topic, I have also pre-ordered the 761 MML Steez Rod and look forward to using it as my open water spinning rod. I will use braid with a Fluoro leader so I’m hoping sensitivity will be impressive and the rod has the “it” factor!
The lake I've been fishing has some very rocky areas and there are a lot of areas that have weeds/grass from the water level rising as well and I've been fishing those areas a lot too. Some trees/wood as well but not a lot in the spots I've been lately.

I've been fishing sunline shooter but I have also used sunline sniper. One rod has powerpro super8slick V2 and that is the one I think I felt the most with. Lure weights have ranged from 1/5oz tungsten Ned hook plus roboworm Ned to 3/8oz dirty jig plus rage craw. I also Texas rigged some creature baits and worms (3/8oz tungsten weight with the creatures a d 3/16 oz with the worms I believe). Also used some 1/4oz shaky heads and worms.

Looks like most of us ordered that 761MML hope I didn't wait too long to order one or they get a lot in.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:50 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:09 pm
Awesome, thanks for the update and info on your buddies 7'6MML. I wanted the exist lt but decided to give the certate lt a try. Hopefully they get a lot of 761MML's in soon haha.
Further update now that I've logged some hours with the rod...

Absolutely perfect. Balances tip up with my Exist 3k, can't think of a better spybaiting setup. Bomb casts, and sensitive enough I can feel fish come up and "wash" over the spinbait before they actually eat it. Cannot be happier I went with the longer 7'6MML, even though it makes landing fish a bit awkward on the kayak.