Last chance at a 72H Hyuga

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Last chance at a 72H Hyuga

Post by LowRange » Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 am

A bit pricy but that is the way of supply and demand. This is a great frog/swimbait/big moving bait stick. 2.5 oz baits is about the upper end sweet spot of the rod for big baits but still handle frogs and down to 1/2 oz chatterbaits/spinner baits/swin jigs ect. Purple on the rod matches Daiwa purple exactly. Super versatile rod and one of my favorites. Gary calls it a "poor man's X4 Destruction".
https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... ts_id=6670

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Last chance at a 72H Hyuga

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 am

You on commission now for the TTT? :lol: jk..jk

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 am
Let's just say I am glad I got mine when I did. :lol: That said if it broke tomorrow I would strongly consider paying $300 for another copy. I like the rod that much but would probably cross shop it with the Valkyrie 72H 1st.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:10 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 am
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 am
Let's just say I am glad I got mine when I did. :lol: That said if it broke tomorrow I would strongly consider paying $300 for another copy. I like the rod that much but would probably cross shop it with the Valkyrie 72H 1st.
I had a 7'2 medium Hyuga, easily the best rod for the money I have ever had. Still regret "upgrading" that rod. I highly reccommend the Hyuga. Not the lightest, not the most sensitive..just a damn good rod.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 pm

The 72H is a wonderful rod and If I had the money I’d buy a spare in a heartbeat. It does so much stuff well, I can go from throwing frog, to a s-waiver 186, a 5 inch paddle tail, and all of them feel like the rod was made for it.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun May 31, 2020 4:11 pm

Have the ML version, and it is the best rod for the money i've tried. Niche series from Megabass, but damn awesome rods.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 31, 2020 5:20 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 pm
The 72H is a wonderful rod and If I had the money I’d buy a spare in a heartbeat. It does so much stuff well, I can go from throwing frog, to a s-waiver 186, a 5 inch paddle tail, and all of them feel like the rod was made for it.
My sentiments exactly. I'm used to the suprising versatility of Megabass rods but this one is off the charts. It is like it is made for everything I try on it within reason.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sun May 31, 2020 6:31 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:20 pm
Houndfish wrote:
My sentiments exactly. I'm used to the suprising versatility of Megabass rods but this one is off the charts. It is like it is made for everything I try on it within reason.
To pile on more love, I feel like it's balance of power and taper are perfect. It's stout enough for good solid hooksets with jig/frog hooks but on any fish over like 2lbs, the rod bends enough that I know it's 100% my fault if I let one get off the hook. The rod's tip isn't great for walking a frog but I still love frogging on it as I know that if I have a bass on the line for 5 seconds, I am almost certainly going to be able to land it and likely need pliers to pop the hooks out.

Bassforce1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bassforce1 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 am

LowRange wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
Do you, or anyone who has owned the megabass orochi gen2 perfect pitch, think it would compliment it well or is it too similar? Enough backbone to drive home weedless paddletail beast hook rigged baits? (6.8/7.8 keitechs)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:50 am

Bassforce1 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 am
LowRange wrote:
Houndfish wrote:
Do you, or anyone who has owned the megabass orochi gen2 perfect pitch, think it would compliment it well or is it too similar? Enough backbone to drive home weedless paddletail beast hook rigged baits? (6.8/7.8 keitechs)
I own a gen 1 PP. There two are not even remotely similar. The Hyuga has way more power and can throw much more heavier baits more comfortably and has a slower taper and stiffer tip than the PP. The rod has a ton of power and drives frog hooks home with ease. I haven't thrown Keitechs on it but that sounds more like MH ot H rod duty. I'm sure the Hyuga can do it given how incredibly versatile it is but that sounds like it would be on the low end of the spectrum of what it can handle. Add a bit of weight to the hook and it should be ideal,

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:44 am

Bassforce1 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 am
Enough backbone to drive home weedless paddletail beast hook rigged baits? (6.8/7.8 keitechs)
It's perfect for the 6.8 rigged with 8/0 weighted beast hook, the 7.8 + 10/0 weighted beast hook I am sort of hard-lobbing it, but more than enough power to drive the hook home. Both the 7.8 and 8" EZ shiner works great on weightless beast hooks as well, and I throw all of them on the Hyuga 72h.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:30 pm

I have the 2 piece 72H which I use when travelling, very nice rod. I had a ML spinner which I thought was very poor. Funny how two different rods in the same series can be so different in design quality.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Bigger paddle tails work very well on it, I use 5" Gambler Big GZs on the smaller side and Optimum Boom Booms on the larger side. There are times when I want more power with the Boom Booms, but only for the heaviest of cover when I am ripping them out of pads.

The 72H has really opened my eyes to the wonders of a powerful/slower rod, once you have a tip that is stiff enough to drive jig/frog hooks home then the slower taper is wonderful for fighting and landing fish. My frog hookup:landing ratio on the 72H is so good I don't even talk about it as people will just call me a liar.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:32 am

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:39 pm
Bigger paddle tails work very well on it, I use 5" Gambler Big GZs on the smaller side and Optimum Boom Booms on the larger side. There are times when I want more power with the Boom Booms, but only for the heaviest of cover when I am ripping them out of pads.

The 72H has really opened my eyes to the wonders of a powerful/slower rod, once you have a tip that is stiff enough to drive jig/frog hooks home then the slower taper is wonderful for fighting and landing fish. My frog hookup:landing ratio on the 72H is so good I don't even talk about it as people will just call me a liar.
I agree. I used to use an old BPS Extreme H powered rod for frogs and had like a 100% hookup ratio with that thing. If it got into their mouths I stuck them. That rod had a very soft tip and was also slow in that is loaded really deep into the blank. Bank fishing I would lean bash and task a little half step back but it would stick them and I could set the hook as soon as they took the frog. The Hyuga is sort of similar but has a much stiffer tip and way more power.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:39 am

I love my Hyuga for frogs but it has one issue. It is fairly unwieldy and not the best thing to walk frogs with. I haven't weighed them but while it feels lighter weight than my gen 1 PP it is more tip heavy and wonky to walk unlike the PP which rotates naturally and easily at the reel seat even without a reel. It's more of a "dragging rats over mats" that a "frog walker" if that makes sense. I just run my frogs over mats with it and set the hook on blowups. Seems to work just fine. I have the PP for walking.