Last chance at a 72H Hyuga

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Last chance at a 72H Hyuga

Post by Houndfish » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:49 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:39 am
I love my Hyuga for frogs but it has one issue. It is fairly unwieldy and not the best thing to walk frogs with. I haven't weighed them but while it feels lighter weight than my gen 1 PP it is more tip heavy and wonky to walk unlike the PP which rotates naturally and easily at the reel seat even without a reel. It's more of a "dragging rats over mats" that a "frog walker" if that makes sense. I just run my frogs over mats with it and set the hook on blowups. Seems to work just fine. I have the PP for walking.
Yea, the tip is far from ideal for walking anything. I started experimenting with using decoy egg snaps in front of my frogs, which makes most any frog walkable on most any rod. I haven’t stuck any monsters with a snapped frog so far but in my crude yard tests the clips hold up about as well as the 40 pound braid I use does.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:59 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:49 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:39 am
I love my Hyuga for frogs but it has one issue. It is fairly unwieldy and not the best thing to walk frogs with. I haven't weighed them but while it feels lighter weight than my gen 1 PP it is more tip heavy and wonky to walk unlike the PP which rotates naturally and easily at the reel seat even without a reel. It's more of a "dragging rats over mats" that a "frog walker" if that makes sense. I just run my frogs over mats with it and set the hook on blowups. Seems to work just fine. I have the PP for walking.
Yea, the tip is far from ideal for walking anything. I started experimenting with using decoy egg snaps in front of my frogs, which makes most any frog walkable on most any rod. I haven’t stuck any monsters with a snapped frog so far but in my crude yard tests the clips hold up about as well as the 40 pound braid I use does.
i just use the Terminator walking frog and use the drag star to walk the frog. Those things just want to walk.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:36 pm

Welp they are gone. Just glad I have the one I have (thanks TTT). Now that they are gone what is the next best thing? What do I buy now if mine were to break? The super versatile mag XH with a tip that is just so. I agree with Houndfish on that frog hookup ratio. I'm getting near 100%. I get loads of fish that are hooked in the bottom lip. I have rarely seen that before with frogs. I think these are the fish I am catching that are just blowups on other sticks. I mean they have just one of the two hooks in then right near the bottom lip. These fish all came by running a frog over a mat.