Corky Porky Puddin and Pie

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Corky Porky Puddin and Pie

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Sorry for the clickbait, tough getting views around here now that the fish are biting. :lol:

Cleaning and sealing all my cork today, I figured I would snap a pic. All rods have about the same use, except one, which is brand new. Let's count these 1-6 left to right.
Can you guess which one is brand new?
Which one has the best cork?
Which one has the worst cork?
Which one is least expensive?
Which one is most expensive?
rsz_img_4431.jpg
rsz_img_4431.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 2136 times

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Corky Porky Puddin and Pie

Post by domthewon » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:31 pm

Hmmm... From what I see second from the left and second from the right are the most expensive. They look like a Stallion RS and Luxxe Oltre. The third from the left is probably the new one. Looks like an Olympic handle to me. The one on the far right looks like a Luxxe efreet. The first and fourth rod I’m stumped on, but look smooth. The fourth rod looks like older Megabass cork to me and nicer than their newer cork in my opinion. It’s tough to judge cork by the looks. Some of the more natural pitted looking ones come on the more expensive rods usually, but feel great in hand. Nice group of cork!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:57 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:31 pm
Hmmm... From what I see second from the left and second from the right are the most expensive. They look like a Stallion RS and Luxxe Oltre. The third from the left is probably the new one. Looks like an Olympic handle to me. The one on the far right looks like a Luxxe efreet. The first and fourth rod I’m stumped on, but look smooth. The fourth rod looks like older Megabass cork to me and nicer than their newer cork in my opinion. It’s tough to judge cork by the looks. Some of the more natural pitted looking ones come on the more expensive rods usually, but feel great in hand. Nice group of cork!
I was looking for a cork expert, not TT's foremost rod expert. I almost left a disclaimer indicating that if you know my rods, shushy. haha
Your pretty spot on Dom!
1. is a Fenwick Techna GP
4. is a Daiwa Heartland Rod and Reel Edition
My least expensive two rods, but still pricey. To an untrained eye(me), they look the best. I don't think there is anything synthetic about them.
That Olympic (#3) just had the wrapper taken off of it before I sealed it today. The pics were taken about an hour after I put the seal on, so it was still wet and that does highlight the pitting. Still surprising though.
I ain't complaining. They all feel great!

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:04 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:57 pm
domthewon wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:31 pm
I was looking for a cork expert, not TT's foremost rod expert. I almost left a disclaimer indicating that if you know my rods, shushy. haha
Your pretty spot on Dom!
1. is a Fenwick Techna GP
4. is a Daiwa Heartland Rod and Reel Edition
My least expensive two rods, but still pricey. To an untrained eye(me), they look the best. I don't think there is anything synthetic about them.
That Olympic (#3) just had the wrapper taken off of it before I sealed it today. The pics were taken about an hour after I put the seal on, so it was still wet and that does highlight the pitting. Still surprising though.
I ain't complaining. They all feel great!
](*,) :lol:
Sorry man!! I almost guessed a fenwick for number 1. I would have never guessed a heartland although the trigger looked much different than any of my Megabass handles. #1and #4 definitely look the smoothest. U40 does highlight some stuff but also makes the cork last longer, and makes it worth it.