2-Power High End Casting Rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2-Power High End Casting Rods?

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:15 pm
I couldn't read that "review" because the author is mixing Power and Action (taper) ;)

Yes, Phenix almost always fishes lighter in power than their ratings. The K2 713 casting rod I fished (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewphenixjx713ck2.html) felt more moderate than a G.Loomis "Fast" which will make it feel softer in power.
The conflation of terms is unfortunate. I took his comment to refer to "power", not action, since he talks about the NRX power designation.

Based on your comment: if the K2 taper is slower than a Loomis taper and it's already a "Fast", I'm a bit worried about my hooksets. When the local reservoir isn't stratified I often fish 30-60 feet deep, and if that blank doesn't shut down fast enough... Hmm.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:15 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:09 pm

Based on your comment: if the K2 taper is slower than a Loomis taper and it's already a "Fast", I'm a bit worried about my hooksets.
I should clarify since not all G.Loomis's are created equal either... I think it's slower than my NRX 852C
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:11 pm

I pulled the trigger on the K2 713 ML. It's a lot of money for a not-sure thing and new rods like that new NRX are on the horizon, but I realized that I could have months of fun with this rod instead of sitting on the money... Plus Hogsticker2 sold the blank well :) Will report back if it's too light or not.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:39 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:11 pm
...but I realized that I could have months of fun with this rod instead of sitting on the money...
THAT's the spirit! =D> =D> congrats!
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:17 am

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:11 pm
I pulled the trigger on the K2 713 ML. It's a lot of money for a not-sure thing and new rods like that new NRX are on the horizon, but I realized that I could have months of fun with this rod instead of sitting on the money... Plus Hogsticker2 sold the blank well :) Will report back if it's too light or not.
LOL

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Took the K2 713, heavily shrink-wrapped and with tags, out on a couple of trips to decide whether I like it. I might write up a full impression post after I’ve had more experience, but as a quick update:

First trip was a wash, winds were at 20+mph and finesse was out of question. But that trip, throwing spinnerbaits into the heavy wind instead on a much heavier rod, made me think that this Phenix rod is the daintiest stick I’ve held. The tiny butt cap, the reel seat, the micro guides and overall action/rod diameter just make it feel like a very expensive toy. My leader knot kept getting hung up on the micro tip tip guide on the couple of retrieves that I made. Not a plus, was kinda pessimistic on my chances of keeping the rod and was thinking I should go 852 instead.

2nd trip today was *much* more successful. Good conditions, went to a steep rocky area. Tried some shakyheads and large Ned worms first. No bites, but casting up to ~1/2oz felt fine. Really started to warm up to the rod when I realized that I might be on a jerk bait bite and quickly caught 4 LMBs on the rod. It’s fully maxed out with regular 115-size Pointer - not the casting, the ripping! - but can do it if necessary, and it’s great with a Vision 110 Jr or Flash Pointer 100. (Tried a Staysee 90 for a couple times, and... yeah, definitely not! ;) ) The Fast taper on this rod is a big plus here, I can’t see myself throwing jerkbaits on an XFast 852 NRX (just a suspicion, of course, since I haven’t fished one). I then tied on a dropshot with 3/16oz tungsten weight and quickly caught a bass waaayyy out deep. That was awesome, and fully sold me on the sensitivity of the blank; it was the kinda bite I expect to detect on my 822 DSR, but that I’m sure I would have missed on any $300 rod. World-class sensitivity, just like Cal mentioned in his review. Hook set on the fast tip wasn’t an issue, and the fish was easy to keep pinned. So at that point I took the shrink wrap and tags off the rod and decided to keep it :)

Leader knots are the only issue, I would love a more forgiving tip top guide. I didn’t have any problem with line getting stuck today because I used an FG knot plus reverse uni (“Rizutto Finish”), but that knot takes time and commitment, especially with light line. But hey, this rod is a diva: a bit finicky, not a work horse, but really talented. I can deal with her demands as long as they’re predictable ;)
EA88118F-4EE3-401C-990A-AF1A040DD10D.jpeg
EA88118F-4EE3-401C-990A-AF1A040DD10D.jpeg (60.57 KiB) Viewed 5806 times
71DB1A22-C120-41CC-BC1A-256E3A936E09.jpeg
71DB1A22-C120-41CC-BC1A-256E3A936E09.jpeg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 5806 times

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:56 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:49 am
I’m looking into buying a high end 2-power casting rod for shaky heads, Ned rigs etc. The only rods in this category that I’m aware of are the NRX 852C and the Conquest 842MBR. Does anybody know of any non-Loomis alternatives? Not trying to avoid the company, just making sure I’m considering all options.

I don't know how you like Megabass but:

Megabass F2.5-67K Black Themis Orochi XXX
Megabass P5 F2.5-611X Kasumi Six Eleven
Megabass F2-60X Criffhanger
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:10 pm
Took the K2 713, heavily shrink-wrapped and with tags, out on a couple of trips to decide whether I like it. I might write up a full impression post after I’ve had more experience, but as a quick update:

First trip was a wash, winds were at 20+mph and finesse was out of question. But that trip, throwing spinnerbaits into the heavy wind instead on a much heavier rod, made me think that this Phenix rod is the daintiest stick I’ve held. The tiny butt cap, the reel seat, the micro guides and overall action/rod diameter just make it feel like a very expensive toy. My leader knot kept getting hung up on the micro tip tip guide on the couple of retrieves that I made. Not a plus, was kinda pessimistic on my chances of keeping the rod and was thinking I should go 852 instead.

2nd trip today was *much* more successful. Good conditions, went to a steep rocky area. Tried some shakyheads and large Ned worms first. No bites, but casting up to ~1/2oz felt fine. Really started to warm up to the rod when I realized that I might be on a jerk bait bite and quickly caught 4 LMBs on the rod. It’s fully maxed out with regular 115-size Pointer - not the casting, the ripping! - but can do it if necessary, and it’s great with a Vision 110 Jr or Flash Pointer 100. (Tried a Staysee 90 for a couple times, and... yeah, definitely not! ;) ) The Fast taper on this rod is a big plus here, I can’t see myself throwing jerkbaits on an XFast 852 NRX (just a suspicion, of course, since I haven’t fished one). I then tied on a dropshot with 3/16oz tungsten weight and quickly caught a bass waaayyy out deep. That was awesome, and fully sold me on the sensitivity of the blank; it was the kinda bite I expect to detect on my 822 DSR, but that I’m sure I would have missed on any $300 rod. World-class sensitivity, just like Cal mentioned in his review. Hook set on the fast tip wasn’t an issue, and the fish was easy to keep pinned. So at that point I took the shrink wrap and tags off the rod and decided to keep it :)

Leader knots are the only issue, I would love a more forgiving tip top guide. I didn’t have any problem with line getting stuck today because I used an FG knot plus reverse uni (“Rizutto Finish”), but that knot takes time and commitment, especially with light line. But hey, this rod is a diva: a bit finicky, not a work horse, but really talented. I can deal with her demands as long as they’re predictable ;)

EA88118F-4EE3-401C-990A-AF1A040DD10D.jpeg

71DB1A22-C120-41CC-BC1A-256E3A936E09.jpeg
Any more thoughts on this rod? I'm interested in throwing Ned rigs, shakey,n drop shot. I like softer tips in general. 1/4oz plus lure would be my max. Looking for the best in balance and sensitivity as well. If u can post pic of balancing pt that'd be awesome

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:24 pm

Chode wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:38 pm
Any more thoughts on this rod? I'm interested in throwing Ned rigs, shakey,n drop shot. I like softer tips in general. 1/4oz plus lure would be my max. Looking for the best in balance and sensitivity as well. If u can post pic of balancing pt that'd be awesome
I still love it. It's awesome if you have a good BFS reel for it; I use the Daiwa SV Light. Shakyheads, spybaits, dropshot... haven't thrown a Ned on it yet, but that's just because I haven't thrown a Ned on any rod since buying this one. I also continue to use it for small jerkbaits - Vision 110 Jr, Evergreen FA Jerkbait in the 87 size. Balance - I'd argue that the balance point doesn't even matter if the entire combo weights 9oz spooled 8-) (Could get it to 8.5oz spooled with the MGXtreme2, but that's full-spool). Either way, it balances fine.
K2_1.jpg
K2_1.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
The combo is ridiculously comfortable to hold, the reel seat creates a natural grip for two fingers, and there simply isn't enough weight to feel like you're torquing anything. Fishing this feels more like fishing a toy than a serious rod TBH, but performs like a real rod when a fish is on. Just be aware that that low-power feeling never quite goes away, fishing this rod is like fishing a 1.5 - 1.75 power Loomis, and with a big fish you'll have to play it. It throws weightless senkos, but since I'm line-watching anyway and have to set a 4/0 worm hook, I prefer a heavier rod for that.
K2_2.jpg
K2_2.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 5256 times

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:24 pm
Chode wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:38 pm
I still love it. It's awesome if you have a good BFS reel for it; I use the Daiwa SV Light. Shakyheads, spybaits, dropshot... haven't thrown a Ned on it yet, but that's just because I haven't thrown a Ned on any rod since buying this one. I also continue to use it for small jerkbaits - Vision 110 Jr, Evergreen FA Jerkbait in the 87 size. Balance - I'd argue that the balance point doesn't even matter if the entire combo weights 9oz spooled 8-) (Could get it to 8.5oz spooled with the MGXtreme2, but that's full-spool). Either way, it balances fine.

K2_1.jpg

The combo is ridiculously comfortable to hold, the reel seat creates a natural grip for two fingers, and there simply isn't enough weight to feel like you're torquing anything. Fishing this feels more like fishing a toy than a serious rod TBH, but performs like a real rod when a fish is on. Just be aware that that low-power feeling never quite goes away, fishing this rod is like fishing a 1.5 - 1.75 power Loomis, and with a big fish you'll have to play it. It throws weightless senkos, but since I'm line-watching anyway and have to set a 4/0 worm hook, I prefer a heavier rod for that.

K2_2.jpg
REALLY appreciate you taking the time to do this. You answered all my questions. =D> \:D/

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:31 am

Chode wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm
REALLY appreciate you taking the time to do this. You answered all my questions. =D> \:D/
np. One more application to try: hopping little 2.4" Dark Sleepers. I did that for spots this summer and it's a ton of fun on this stick.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 am

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:31 am
Chode wrote:
np. One more application to try: hopping little 2.4" Dark Sleepers. I did that for spots this summer and it's a ton of fun on this stick.
i fish Lanier and it's pretty much all spots so it'll def give it a try.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:57 am

Chode wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 am
Drakestar wrote:
Chode wrote:
bruh I didn’t know u fish Lanier, I’m a Hartwell native. I’ve got a bfl regional at Lanier mid Oct this year, might need sum pointers.....🤣

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:21 am

Hennessy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:57 am
Chode wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:57 am
Drakestar wrote:
Chode wrote:
bruh I didn’t know u fish Lanier, I’m a Hartwell native. I’ve got a bfl regional at Lanier mid Oct this year, might need sum pointers.....🤣
i don't think i'd be much help. I'm still trying to learn the lake myself trying different things :lol: