Frog and Punch rod suggestions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Frog and Punch rod suggestions

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Looking for a rod for frogging and lighter punching duties (up to 3/4oz weight + plastic). I also plan to use it for heavy football jigs in deep water up to 1oz.

I was originally thinking maybe the Orochi XXX destruction 70 or mat bucker. I just noticed Kistler came out with a new Helium model which is about the same price range. Their 7' Heavy seems to fit the bill rated 3/8 - 2oz but it's a "moderate" action so I'm not sure if I should be looking for mod-fast or fast for the techniques I'm looking to use it for.

What does everyone think? What should I be considering? Max budget around $400.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Frog and Punch rod suggestions

Post by aqua71 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:19 am

I use the Dobyns Champion XP DC 735C FH for every application you stated.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:57 pm

I also use dobyns for what you`re describing...but I up the power a bit to a HP 746. Works great for dragging heavy jigs in deep water.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:16 am

I think you might run into some shortcomings if you try to fit all of those techniques into one rod. While I'm sure that some rods out there could "handle" it. I think you would find yourself fishing better/more comfortably if you split it into a couple rods. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable fishing 3/4oz tungsten or 1 oz jigs on my frog rod but obviously every person has a preference. I prefer shorter frog rods but if you prefer a longer frog rod you might be able to get away with it.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:20 am

Look at the new Irod Croaker Crusher 784 rated to 3/8 - 3oz. I haven't punched with it, but so far it is a beast of a frog rod and I like it a lot. I have also punched with my Irod Genesis 2 754, but not my first choice for punching.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:53 am

Latest version of the White Python, so sick as a hollow bodied frogger 8-) I stopped throwing Buzz toads quite a while ago but I would imagine it would be very tasty for that particular set up as well and my hands the tip is just so versatile as stated in previous posts I initially got her for the purposes swimbait tossing relative to certain weights but when I tied a hollow-body frog on her I just feel like it was meant to be :big grin:

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:54 am

Oh I forgot to mention I've heard of quite a few folks using it as a punching rod I don't necessarily have the vegetation that comes up as of yet to try it out in that situation but I forgot to add that little bit with my initial reply

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:51 pm

Megabass Destroyer Valdivia can handle frogging and light punching well.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:25 pm

I don’t punch at all, but I recently picked up a Tatula Elite 7’4 Ish frog rod and I really like it. It has good balance and the tip is perfect for walking a frog.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:48 am

The destruction 70 is a great rod. It can handle both duties well. It's balanced well also. I purchased it to punch and walk hollow bodied frogs from shore. I have used 3/4 and 1oz tungsten punching weights with it and it handled the weights fine. It's a fun rod for those duties.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:46 pm

I have a pair mb fausts. The first one i bought was a frog/punch rod. Liked it so much I bought another used one for frogging one for punching. Real powerful but balance well and feel good in your hand. Now use steez ags 74 for frogging but both fausts get a lot of playing time.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:23 pm

This is what you’re asking for and it comes from the editors of Tackle Tour. Although my personal preference is for a shorter frog rod in the 7’ range, if I wanted a rod to handle both duties this would be my first choice and be damn with the color scheme 😁

http://tackletour.com/reviewdaiwatatula ... ogrod.html

You know how many rods over the years have scored a 9 or higher? Not many, I might have noticed 3 or 4. High praise
-

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:04 am

Heddonfrog wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:23 pm
This is what you’re asking for and it comes from the editors of Tackle Tour. Although my personal preference is for a shorter frog rod in the 7’ range, if I wanted a rod to handle both duties this would be my first choice and be damn with the color scheme 😁

You know how many rods over the years have scored a 9 or higher? Not many, I might have noticed 3 or 4. High praise
-
I haven't used the rod either but I agree with heddonfrog it seems like it would be a good fit for your intended use. Should be able to handle 3/4+ hook and plastic, it's rated for 1 1/2. I was considering it but she wracked out at 1.50 a bit light for the stuff i like to frog and not big on the grey color scheme.

Markymarc
Angler
Angler

Post by Markymarc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:03 pm

The MB Destroyer Bunker Buster is the light punching one, Warhammer is the regular heavy punching.

I am not sure I would need a Destoyer for fishing frogs...

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:27 pm

Obz wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:04 am
Heddonfrog wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:23 pm

-
I haven't used the rod either but I agree with heddonfrog it seems like it would be a good fit for your intended use. Should be able to handle 3/4+ hook and plastic, it's rated for 1 1/2. I was considering it but she wracked out at 1.50 a bit light for the stuff i like to frog and not big on the grey color scheme.
I own this rod. It's a great frogging rod, but I'm not sure the tip would handle anything more than 3/4 for punching. It's a medium heavy rod's extra fast tip with a heavy backbone for power. The tip is softer than a 894 NRX based on my experience.