New rod assistance

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New rod assistance

Post by jrk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 am

In the market for a new rod and was hoping to get some thoughts from the forum if possible.
I'm looking for something to throw 5 or 6 inch senkos and medium to large sized frogs, and as far as possible.
Something longer than 7'...closer to 8' if possible.
Prefer a faster action...something that has some a** with a somewhat softer/forgiving tip.
Prefer guide train with fuji torzites, with larger than smaller guides, as I throw braid to leader and will used in both fresh and my inshore redfish hunts.
Seem to lately prefer full cork, but not a priority.
Not a fan of fancy for fancy sake...prefer understated look. Having said this, it could have purple polka dots on it if performance is there.
I don't think I've ever paid attention to "balance" before...tip up or tip down type of thing, so I'm not sure I'm as concerned about this...but I guess something to think about. Having said this, the reel that will go on this new guy is a 2020 Shimano Calcutta Conquest 100 DC HG.

I realize there's some compromise to be made with this...but in general I would rather lean the direction of the rod being a little heavier in power than needed for senkos, etc. than being mushy/slow...just can't stand this feel.

For reference with rods I have now:
  • Loomis MBR GLX 843c 7' MH 1/4 - 3/4oz: With a 5 inch unweighted senko, this rod feels like absolute mush to me. Not a fan, but have fished it for years now.
  • Loomis Pro-Green PGR 943s 7' 10" MH 3/16 - 5/8oz: Much better! Seems much more rock solid up the blank. Weightless senkos fly. I realize a different rod than the MBR, but I'm assuming same power based on model number designation?
  • St. Croix Legend X casting 8' 6" Heavy Fast: Like this rod's action overall...maybe a little long and stiff throughout. Hate the guides, although fuzi torzite...the last few on this rod I believe are sized 4.5. My connections pass, but hate the noise.
Rods I'm interested in but have not picked up/tried...and by no means limited to:
  • Dobyns 755: Has larger torzites, full cork grip, only 7' 5", but at least over 7'. I'm curious about this guy as I've thrown a Dobyns 8' swimbait rod in the past...I believe a sierra or fury...and I want to say the rating was up there...maybe high end was around 2 oz. I remember throwing, at most, 1/2oz on this rod and very much liked the action. My son has an 867, which is rated 4 - 16, and I've thrown 1 oz on this thing and it sailed! I realize this rod is not what I'm after, but thought I'd include as a reference.
  • Loomis Conquest Heavy (904 or 905?): Interested due to the torzites which I believe to be larger than my St. Croix, but could be wrong, as well as the fact I hear it's a nice rod overall. I have no idea how it will perform/feel and what action is has in general.
  • Have heard Dobyns champion extreme 795 or 805 are nice. Wouldn't mind moving up the scale on materials though.
  • Hears there a new NRX coming out. Have never thrown an NRX, although been tempted in the past to try their NRX Inshore spinning.
I've read quite a few reviews on this site and on internet in general. I realize it's difficult to express "feel" via the written word, but I'd sincerely appreciate anyone's thoughts regarding.

Sincerely

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New rod assistance

Post by mthao105 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:32 am

I have the 904 conquest and throw both of those lures on it. I run braid or braid to leader as well and have no issues. For true heavy cover or strictly frogging, I think the 905 would be a better choice because of the extra power. Disclaimer though, I prefer the mbr type actions like the 843 for their versatility. The conquests will have that same type of action as the glx mbr 843, but just on a more powerful scale.

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:16 am

I appreciate the info mthao105. Very helpful.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:22 pm

My concern is that your application range - weightless(?) worms on one end, frogging on the other - is too wide. You typically throw weightless worms on a ML/2-power or Medium/3-power rod (as you do now), t-rigged ones possibly on a MH, but IMO frogs demand at least a Heavy/5-power rod, and ideally are XH rods. I have a GLX 855 JWR that I use for heavy jigs, heavy t-rigs and occasional frogging (but my main frog rods are Mag Heavy/XH). I think a stick like that 855 is your best bet if you really want a cross-over rod (there's an 895 for added length), and the JWRs generally have a faster taper than MBR.

But I'd worry that you don't get the sensitivity to detect senko inhalation bites on a Heavy, or a tip that can really throw weightless senkos. And on the frogging end of the spectrum, it will probably pull a fully wrapped-up 2 pounder out of super heavy grass, but it's a tall order even on a dedicated frog rod and the Heavy will feel underpowered. Just a personal opinion (from somebody who likes t-rigging senkos on his 843 MBR, no less!)

The Dobyns Xtasy rods are awesome, but have a fast taper. I have the 754 and would never frog on it. Doubtful I would on a 755, either - too long and those Xtasys are very skinny (it has sneaky power). All Conquests have MBR tapers. From what I remember, they're a bit crisper than comparable GLX MBR rods, and have a tick more power.

As far as length is concerned: make sure that the rod is short enough to comfortably walk a frog all day long. Depending on your height, 7'5" might be fine, but I'd worry about an 8'0" rod.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:34 pm

I'd also look into the reel as a way to increase your casting distance, not the rod alone. A well-serviced reel, regreased and reoiled with something like ZPI F-Zero grease/oil will significantly help line come off the spool over the factory condition. Just need a good braking system to dial in the spool.

Generally speaking, a slower tip helps with casting distance because it loads up better and can whip the bait out more easily, so your preference for a very fast tip hurts a bit in that regard.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:08 pm

mthao105 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:32 am
I have the 904 conquest and throw both of those lures on it. I run braid or braid to leader as well and have no issues. For true heavy cover or strictly frogging, I think the 905 would be a better choice because of the extra power. Disclaimer though, I prefer the mbr type actions like the 843 for their versatility. The conquests will have that same type of action as the glx mbr 843, but just on a more powerful scale.
^^The above is spot on and as I was reading your post I thought you were describing the Conquest 904. It can also do a lot more than those baits really well. You can find them used and an online retailer sometimes has dealer samples well below retail. I picked mine up used closer to nrx price. Since they’re not much to look at (my opinion) and have that awesome warranty, there are no worries about picking one up gently used. I love the rod. Nice tip; classic American taper, and beast power in the but. Sensitive? Yes; very

Read your post more closely. Worms versus frogging on a single rod; that’s a tall order. I could frog with the 904 (it’s quite versatile) but it would probably not my first choice.