A longer MH rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

A longer MH rod

Post by russ57 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:12 pm

I'm looking to pick up a MH in the 76 range for paddletails, maybe some texas rigs and jigs. Ideally I want to avoid tip heaviness but that may not be possible. Thinking about:

-Destroyer Javelin
-XX EMTF
-75MH Zodias or 76MH Expride

Any other suggestions? I want the rod to be versitile enough for a variety of different techniques.

I am anticipating recommendations on the javelin.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: A longer MH rod

Post by fishes » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:18 pm

Theres the conquest 903. I haven't handled the rod so im not sure if its tip heavy

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Xtasy 754 does all of that and is very well-balanced. This spring I’ve used it to throw underspins, 1/4-1/2oz swim jigs, 4.8 Keitechs, t-rigged worms and flukes (usually 3/16oz weight), and 1/2oz jigs. Great sensitivity, as well.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Oh yeah and theres the steez bottom contact

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Forgot to mention the xtasy 754 and conquest 903.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:29 pm

I'm going to be building a 7'3 NFC X-Ray MH. I'm sure you could get the rod already built as a Z-Bone from Kistler.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:10 am

Take a look at the new Phenix rods M1 as well, they have a 7'8 MH, and H. I've fished with the first generation Phenix M1 7'7 MH, and it did not feel tip heavy, but that was also a custom built rod. The Phenix Feather also has a 7'7 MH or H as well.

If you want something higher end, take a look at the NRX 983

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:31 am

I am pretty intrigued by the XX EMTF even though I know it is a bit tip heavy from the TT review. They said it was a great paddletail rod which would be the primary use.

The 78M1 is also pretty intriguing.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:37 pm

I'd look at the ALX Enox with a custom handle. That T1100 blank is about as good as it gets. Used on a lot of high end JDM rods.
Last edited by tywithay on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 am

Another highend option is the Phenix K2 Torzite Casting Rod 7'6" Heavy. Don't let the power rating throw you off, that rod line fishes light and the Heavy would be like a 4-power in other brands (also see comments on TW). I haven't fished the 7'6" H itself, but I got a 7'1" ML recently and freaking LOVE it so much that I want the other two rods in that lineup ASAP to replace my current Loomis and Megabass rods. Well-built, insanely light and super sensitive (I usually shy away from the NRX comparison and say "it's close", but for this rod I'll just come out and say it's every bit as sensitive as an NRX).

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:42 pm

I really enjoy my Destroyer Javelin. I'd rate it as a medium-heavy plus, but it does everything within its weight range well. It's my go to rod if I can only bring one rod. And yes, I've thrown paddle tails, jigs, and texas rigs. Can definitely handle them, but 1/2 ounce jigs would be the top end I'd go.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:02 am
Another highend option is the Phenix K2 Torzite Casting Rod 7'6" Heavy. Don't let the power rating throw you off, that rod line fishes light and the Heavy would be like a 4-power in other brands (also see comments on TW). I haven't fished the 7'6" H itself, but I got a 7'1" ML recently and freaking LOVE it so much that I want the other two rods in that lineup ASAP to replace my current Loomis and Megabass rods. Well-built, insanely light and super sensitive (I usually shy away from the NRX comparison and say "it's close", but for this rod I'll just come out and say it's every bit as sensitive as an NRX).
I have a custom K2 built on this blank. Drake star is right, the 765 (H) fishes more like a 4 power. It’s a great rod. Very sensitive.

I also have a K2 715, which is my favorite rod, and a K2 764. Both are custom builds. Love these rods!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:31 am

In case you haven't seen them:

Fenwick World Class WCL76MH-FC

ARK Rods Reinforcer RFC76MHFC

Megabass of America F5-75X Javelin

Someone mentioned the Orochi XX EMTF ... if paddletails are your target app, I'd actually choose the Braillist. It has a slightly faster taper than the EMTF which is more beneficial in single/jig style hook applications.

If you like purple, Abu makes a 7'-6" in the IKE Power series that they rate as MH but tested more as a H.... maybe the Delay series version, but again those sticks are more moderate in taper... oh and that one I wrote up is 7-10... probably too long.

Another option would be Kistler Helium or Z-Bone. Not sure they make one stock in 7'6", but I'm sure you can custom order it. The NFC blanks fish really well.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Drakestar wrote:
How are the actions on the K2's, are they true fast action, or a little bit slower? I've noticed on their M1's and Feather, it's a tad bit slower than the rated actions. What techniques do you use on the 7'1 ML?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:07 am

accodn2ryan wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:13 pm
Drakestar wrote:
How are the actions on the K2's, are they true fast action, or a little bit slower? I've noticed on their M1's and Feather, it's a tad bit slower than the rated actions. What techniques do you use on the 7'1 ML?
It feels a couple of hairs slower than my 843 GLX ("Fast") and a hair slower than my Orochi Shakyhead ("Fast"). Haven't had any issues with hooksets yet, though, which includes a couple of far-out, deep catches on the dropshot. I was worried about those situations, but it's been fine. The lighter finesse hooks (Gamakatsu G-Finesse DS hooks in my case) probably help. I might step up to a heavier rod when fishing weedless, skin-hooked tubes in deep water, for example. Or not? Just haven't tried it yet.

I've been throwing most finesse baits on mine: dropshot (tried up to 3/8oz weight to see where it maxes out, but usually 1/8 or 3/16 weights), shakyheads, Ned rigs.... I've also had good success throwing small jerk baits - Vision 110 Jr, Evergreen FA 87 - that's where the slower taper is a plus. Haven't tried stickbaits yet; I think the rod should handle weightless and neko worms fine, but the K2 ML feels a bit lighter than other ML rods (maybe a 1.75 power, rather than a 2 power). I think I'll prefer my F3.5 Orochi Shakyhead or 843 GLX for those.