NRX 893 v ZBone

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX 893 v ZBone

Post by sydaar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:02 am

So like many others I had a reel seat failure on my NRX 893 and may look to replace it. Checking to see if there's anyone who's had experience with both the 893 and the 7'3" 3 LMH Zbone. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX 893 v ZBone

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:00 pm

This is a good question. Anyone wanna drop some comparisons between the current NRX blanks and the new X Ray blanks?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:08 am

i have a few nrx 893s in my line up and they are one of my favorites out of the series for lighter bottom contact. i feel that rod is also a bit more sensitive than my 894 nrx due to the 893s springy tip that it has. Last year i tried some of the new z bones on the x ray blank and one of them was the 7'6 mh 4 power rod which would almost mirror the 893 . the z bone has more power in the lower end i feel and the tip is not as springy its more of a smooth load up when you cast a bait with it. if it was a nrx i would say it would be a 893.5 in power if that makes sense. both rods are very sensitive when reeling a bottom contact bait in with the z bone sometimes if it hit a rock it was electrifying to say the least but both rods with the baits way out in 20ish foot of water the sensitivity felt the same more or less. when you set the hook on the nrx the tip will load up more quickly than the z bone, but the z bone has a more progressive taper when loading up. cant go wrong with either really both great rods. one of my biggest down on the z bone was the cork quality even when u 40 sealed it will look rough rather quickly. ill give balance to the z bone as well over the nrx for sure. for senkos tx rigged i really adore the nrx and the springy tip but if i want a little more grunt for a 3/8-1/2 oz jig i would rather have the z bone which seemed to handle heavier baits better without the rod feeling underpowered.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:42 am

I've had my 7'3" LMH ZBone for a couple of weeks and I feel confident in saying that the Zbone feels like hardly any other rod I own. That's not better or worse, just different; the way it loads up gives it a unique feeling. I agree with Revofisher that the Xray tip is not as "springy" or "droopy" (as I like to put it): on a regular high-end rod (NRX, Destroyer etc.), to me it feels like the tip melts away as it loads up during bottom contact, it's "droopy". The Xray doesn't do that. It's just as sensitive as the NRX, but I don't feel like the tip "melts away" as the bait hangs up on bottom temporarily. The vibration transmittion is dryer, if that makes sense. On top of that, the LMH does have a slower taper, so it loads up more progressively on a hookset, too.

Bottom contract with rocks is transmitted in bone-chilling detail on this blank, and I was ripping a 1/2oz swim jig through heayy weeds this morning (the rod was probably underpowered for that TBH, but when in Rome...) and it took me a while to not set the hook on every weed hangup because the blank makes those snags feel like bites.

I think a Zbone (or any custom rod with that blank) is a worthwhile investment, but don't expect it to be a dead ringer for the NRX in how it feels. If you don't want to take the risk of disliking a different-feeling rod, stick with the NRX. If you don't mind branching out (turns out I didn't, maybe because I'm super eclectic in my high-end rod choices) I'd give it a try.

Tip if you're seriously considering a Zbone and haven't done it yet: sign up for the Kistler mailing list. They frequently send rebates, i.e. I got mine at 20% off for 4th of July. (And because you order from TX, there's no sales tax! That easily saves another $50.)
Last edited by Drakestar on Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:30 pm

I notice that Kistler uses Xray blanks for their Z-Bone rod line. They offer both a MH and H 7’ 6” rod in their Z-Bone line up.

I am looking for a 7’ 6” Xray blank on the NFC website and don’t see a model that fits that description.

Can you help me understand how a 7’ 6” Zbone (built on Xray) can be made by Kister and the blank is not available at NFC. Is it a special blank made just for them and not for public sale?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:15 pm

amso4 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:30 pm
I notice that Kistler uses Xray blanks for their Z-Bone rod line. They offer both a MH and H 7’ 6” rod in their Z-Bone line up.

I am looking for a 7’ 6” Xray blank on the NFC website and don’t see a model that fits that description.

Can you help me understand how a 7’ 6” Zbone (built on Xray) can be made by Kister and the blank is not available at NFC. Is it a special blank made just for them and not for public sale?
Simple answer- NFC builds blanks to Kistler's specifications. Lots of blank manufacturers do OEM blanks for rod companies. You'd be surprised how many different rodbuilding companies use blanks made by a single manufacturer. I know of a few prominent companies whose blanks are made by Lamiglas to their individual spec's.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sydaar » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks much Drakestar and Revofisher; exactly the information I was looking for - much appreciated. Looking hard at the 7'3" LMH for "do many things" rod. Any thoughts on custom vs "off the shelf"?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:10 pm

sydaar wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:46 pm
Thanks much Drakestar and Revofisher; exactly the information I was looking for - much appreciated. Looking hard at the 7'3" LMH for "do many things" rod. Any thoughts on custom vs "off the shelf"?
Off the shelf you get what they want, custom you get what you want.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:41 pm

sydaar wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:46 pm

I have a 2019 7'3" MH Zbone and a 7'3" MH Custom Xray and the balance is definitely better on the custom. The zbone is lighter, but I have a full carbon handle on the custom.

The custom was also much less expensive with full torzite spiral wrap compared to a retail zbone.

I did not buy the z-bone for retail (second hand, unused), so it was actually less than my custom.... but not by that much and shipping was $40, factored into the final price of the custom from the builder.

The Kistler/NFC blank says up to 1oz, the blank from NFC says up to 3/4.

I use the Zbone as an all purpose rod/bottom contact, the custom is prioritized for bottom contact. I also have a 894 NRX which is pretty much bottom contact only.

I have not fished the custom much (less than 3 hrs) since receiving it due to work and rain, but I will agree with others about the xray blank transmitting bone jarring vibrations when hitting a rock. I am glad others had the same experience, almost dropped the rod once. I think the LMH will be a great rod, I was going to pick one up but the MH price was a deal on a forum. Sometimes you can email Kistler and they have models they may not sell because the blank has a blemish or the blank is slightly crooked. They will give you a deal on it (hundreds off).

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:03 pm

I bought an actual Zbone cause at 20% off + no taxes + no shipping it felt like decent price for a high end rod, and I get a better warranty than on a custom rod (I think). But the build quality of a Kitzler rod is not going to set your world on fire... The thread work is neat, the guides are aligned, the rod is very light, and the blank is as free of blemishes as an Xray can be (not perfect, but I’ve seen pictures of custom Xray rods where the blank looked terribly chipped). The Zbone is tip-heavy by a rather large margin, but it’s so light that it doesn’t matter. The seat & grip components feel rather cheap (my son has a $50 Shimano 2-piece rod with a similar EVA butt cap), and the cork might deteriorate quickly from what I’ve heard (2 weeks in it still looks good).

I feel like none of this sounds like a reason to avoid going custom instead. I’m just too lazy/inexperienced to go that route and with an actual Zbone, I knew exactly what I get (including all-Torzite guides!), and it shipped the next day.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:56 pm

I have the NRX 893. My zbones are the 2017 and the newer 2019 both with stouter blanks that compare more with my NRX 894.
Short answer on what is possible is that both the 2017 and 2019 compete very favorably with the NRX which I adore. My 2019 is the 7'10 four power and it is both powerful and sensitive. brings me joy just mentioning it.

The question is does the model that competes with the NRX 893 shine and on that topic I can't comment. I simply say it has the potential

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:41 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:03 pm
I knew exactly what I get (including all-Torzite guides!), and it shipped the next day.
Tell us how you like it. Does the 2020 have all torzite? I think only the stripper guide is torzite on the 2019 and the rest were sic.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:26 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:41 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:03 pm
I knew exactly what I get (including all-Torzite guides!), and it shipped the next day.
Tell us how you like it. Does the 2020 have all torzite? I think only the stripper guide is torzite on the 2019 and the rest were sic.
I think you're right to be skeptical - I thought they were all Torzite, but taking a real close look and comparing them to my K2, it looks like they're not (other than the stripper guide). So nothing has changed since 2019, I think. The website specs say "Guides: FUJI Titanium Torzite Ring with Corrosion Control, Stainless Semi-Conventional Size Silicon Carbide Rings".

I don't have a huge update from what I said in viewtopic.php?f=46&t=84282 and in this thread. I definitely like the rod, it's fun to use and universal. I'm still not sure if its outstanding bottom contact sensitivity translates into better bite detection. (I think that's one of those common misconceptions, and not necessarily true.) But man, I can feel all structure crystal-clearly, I don't feel like I've missed a fish yet, it's just that multiple fish were just "there" all the sudden. But I've been throwing finesse swimbaits and swimjigs (often in vegetation) a lot, so it's hard to tell - I feel those bites don't always create that telltale tug or tick anyway. When hopping a 3/8oz Dark Sleeper on this rod I definitely felt each bite distinctly and as clearly as I would expect.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:55 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:26 pm
But I've been throwing finesse swimbaits and swimjigs (often in vegetation) a lot, so it's hard to tell - I feel those bites don't always create that telltale tug or tick anyway. When hopping a 3/8oz Dark Sleeper on this rod I definitely felt each bite distinctly and as clearly as I would expect.
I know exactly what you mean. I was using the custom rod today and I caught 2 fish on a 3/4 oz dark sleeper. One was a small peacock bass so that was very noticeable due to its attitude, but the other small bass I caught was just the feeling of weight while swimming it. I may pick up P5 Megabass rod from TWH and compare them all next weekend :big grin: ](*,)

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:44 pm

The Z Bone has nothing on the NRX when it comes to botton contact and superior sensitivity! I give all rod company's highend sensitivity test against the NRX but have not found any to beat it.

But sensitivity isnt everything!

I think Kistler had great products back in the day but i think things have cheapened their rods over the years with mass distribution.