Point Blank blanks

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Point Blank blanks

Post by rollyourboat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:03 am

Just curious how's the performance on the 69ML and 69M blank. Contemplating on grabbing a rod to throw 1/8 oz ned rigs, finesse jigs, and plastics. Also considering the new wild side 610M. Just curious how the blank handles and sensitivity wise where does it land. Seems a lot of people like PB blanks but also not much in depth write ups about them.

Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Point Blank blanks

Post by 108642 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:09 am

you might try rodbuilding.org, search point blank.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:27 pm

I just went through an extensive comparison between point blanks, NFC and available stock rods with a friend who now wishes me to build a rod for him.
Our conclusion is: The point blanks feel like there’s nothing in your hand where the NFC HM models have some mass to them. Not it in your hand where it wouldn’t matter but towards the tip. It’s crazy how light and balanced point blanks handle considering how much power they have.
The 691MXF is only a tiny bit faster than the NFC MB705HM and the fast rated 701MLF and 701HMF point blanks are in fact faster than the 691MXF. So a) it’s confusing / mislabeled and b) if you look for a x-fast like a Loomis JWR would be, you won’t find it with point blanks.

Sensitivity wise - Somewhere up the spectrum but not top notch. Evergreen Kaleidos give you a more intense, clearer vibration in the reel seat (working the same chatterbait). But that’s a different price point. Haven’t tested the PBs next to NRXes or anything else on the water so I wouldn’t make a statement as memories from different situations are too deceptive.

For 1/8oz heads with plastics resulting in let’s say 1/4oz total, I’d go for the ML - if you like the tip to do some work and not be stiff when working the bait.

Back to my friend - we handed him an extensive range of M power rods and he always came back to said 6’9 Point Blank due to the way it handles, the lightness and power. It’s also my most used rod by far. Dragging 3/8-1/2oz texas with slim 4” keitech, 1/4oz derabreak, 1/2oz deracoups, pop-r, Pointer 79 or bombing a 5/8oz dropshot with a 3” worm out there, it covers everything I’d throw for perch and asp (based in Germany, no Bass around). 3/4oz deracoup copies from AliExpress are also no problem.

Attached a pic under load, 440g, next to a Kaleido Super Cougar. The Cougar is the faster, “upper” one.
...And a pic of the fam - 701MLF, 691MXF, 701MF

If you went with the 69ml, I’d pair it with an Aldebaran to fully experience its lightness and balance
Attachments
D7507D03-A030-4E91-893F-08D934761CAB.jpeg
D7507D03-A030-4E91-893F-08D934761CAB.jpeg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
FE618F38-1FE5-45A4-AFCB-5266C5F31CCD.jpeg
FE618F38-1FE5-45A4-AFCB-5266C5F31CCD.jpeg (130.99 KiB) Viewed 3705 times

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:52 pm

The more I use point blank the more I like them

Light , tons of power , usually a soft tip

I don’t have a 69

7ml then all the 7’3”s

I caught small tarpon on my 73 ml today Actually

Rod handled them fine

I was also throwing just a hook and shrimp on my 73 heavy and it threw it a good ways

Not your typical bass scenario

But I love my PB’s

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:34 pm

I only build on PB these days, with a few X Rays in the mix. I don't own anything from Evergreen, or anything with the latest and greatest graphite scrim materials. I don't feel a need to. Are the PBs the most sensitive blanks around - probably not, but they're plenty sensitive imo. They don't have that electrifying sensation that some blanks do, but they do have a unique trait to them. Transmission feedback is felt with a more hollow type of resonate. No problem detecting bites, structure, etc. It's like a trade off between that short zap, and a lasting resonate vibration. I prefer the latter, which is what you'll get with PB. Another nice thing with these blanks is having a little extra reserve power due to the thicker than average butt ends. I have sticks from PB, Phenix and NFC - All have essentially the same amount of power, same ratings. I can really feel and appreciate that extra ooph I get from PB. They have the best power to weight ratios imo. I have both the medium and medium light you mention. I'd opt for the medium light in your scenario. The medium bottoms out at about 3/16 oz imo, and that's with the right reel. It will however cast 1/8 oz plus trailer due to the unique loading characteristics of these blanks - another thing that sets these apart from my experience. Casting that light on the medium definitely isn't ideal however.

rollyourboat
Angler
Angler

Post by rollyourboat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 pm

Sounds like the 69ml is the one I need. Soft enough tip to detect bites and work the bait but enough back bone if I were to hook into something bigger. Now to find me a builder that doesn't have giant logo :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:00 pm

rollyourboat wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 pm
Sounds like the 69ml is the one I need. Soft enough tip to detect bites and work the bait but enough back bone if I were to hook into something bigger. Now to find me a builder that doesn't have giant logo :lol:
Nailed it 👍