Strenght and power lift : Kistler helium 3 vs zbone

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bunnyboy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Strenght and power lift : Kistler helium 3 vs zbone

Post by Bunnyboy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:40 pm

I have last question before open purchase order.Now I’m decide to buy kistler rod.I need to know if compair between HELIUM 3(nfc T800S blank) and ZBONE(nfc X-ray blank) about strenght and power lift only which one is better.

***If you don’t understand what I say.I’m sorry because my english not difficult

Thank you

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Strenght and power lift : Kistler helium 3 vs zbone

Post by bwjay » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:01 pm

If you're going to be boat flipping big fish, I'd go with the Helium3, as it will hurt less if it breaks, and it might be less inclined to break because it's a lower modulus blank than the Zbone. At least, that is how I understand it. I've got 4 Helium3s and have shore fished with them, sticking them in a hatchback all the time, and am not super gentle with them, and they have not broken. I don't boat flip big fish because, well, I don't catch that many big ones, but when I get a decent pike on I always grab it out of the water or use a net.

As for backbone to horse fish out of cover, just buy a heavy power rod if you're looking for that. I wouldn't say either rod in a heavy power is going to have more "strength" than the other. Frogging and pulling a 2lb bass with a ton of weeds loads up my 7'H like crazy so I went for a 7'3XH Expride (almost a broomstick) for the extra backbone, but our summer weeds/pads situation here in Minnesota is pretty nuts. For most people I think a heavy power would be fine for frogging almost anywhere else.

Lastly, I will say, I love my Helium3s and while a Zbone would be really nice, I almost don't see the need. The Helium3s are sensitive, have a great action, lots of power, and are stupid light, while being decently balanced. I will probably buy another spinning rod when I can get a good sale on them.