Re: Need a rod for a new-2-me reel. Budget increased.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need a rod for a new-2-me reel. Budget increased.

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Probably the best reel I will ever own so I want a nice rod for it. Never paid more than $175 before (was a used rod). So this will be a new experience for me. Looking at the Expride 7'2" Med Lt+. From what I read these are the best rods in their price range and some say they fish like $400 rods.

I know most guys on here are extreme enthusiasts. Don't see me spending $300 or more. Are there any rods comparable to this Expride? JDM rods maybe? Want to keep in that lure weight range. Prefer 7' or longer although I do have a few rods below that length that I really like such as my 6'10" MF Elite Tech Smallmouth, 6'6" MLM Aetos and 6'10" HF Tour Edition PT.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by new2BC4bass on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Need a rod for a new-2-me reel.

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 pm

What are you planning to use the rod for? Exprides are great at their price and I feel that they are great moving bait rods, but IMO I there are better options for bottom contact. (Others might disagree.) Depending on what you want to do, the Expride might be the perfect choice, or people can suggest a better option.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:34 pm

What's the reel you're going to match this new rod with?
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:34 pm
Steez EX 100HS with I'ZE factory Steez SV105 spool.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:54 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 pm
What are you planning to use the rod for? Exprides are great at their price and I feel that they are great moving bait rods, but IMO I there are better options for bottom contact. (Others might disagree.) Depending on what you want to do, the Expride might be the perfect choice, or people can suggest a better option.
When you say 'moving baits', do you mean single or treble hook lures?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:52 pm
Cal wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:34 pm
Steez EX 100HS with I'ZE factory Steez SV105 spool.
A Steez... and you're thinking of matching it with a Shimano Expride? That's some bad mojo right there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding... but yes, it'd be helpful to know your intended application too. ARK Rods Reinforcer line is really nice but just a hair over your price range. Zander, myself, and Wolbugger have been fishing them all year and can't say enough about them. We have one review up so far on the series.

Megabass Orochi XX makes a nice match for Steez and is right at your price threshold.

Daiwa lost me a few years ago when they went all in on Tatula including their rods. I can't keep track or keep straight what they have now, but if I recall correctly, there are some Tatula Elite sticks with AGS guides on them. Not sure the prices though... but depending on your intended application, one of those would make for a nice pairing with your Steez.

I think Kistler ZBone with the NFC X-Ray blank is way over your budget... just came to mind off the top of my head.

I haven't fished Expride since the first generation. Can't recall if Zander has one or not. But that first generation didn't leave me with a great impression, so I didn't try again. Zodias might be worth a look, but I'm not sure the cost on those off the top of my head either. I know Zander has one and has been using it here and there - at least I think it's a Zodias :lol:

I'm sure that helped.. NOT! :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:14 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:54 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 pm
When you say 'moving baits', do you mean single or treble hook lures?
Trebles, I guess, but that may just be my application range. In my experience Exprides are great at transmitting follow, pick-up and slack lines bites well. I use the 6'10" M as my main jerkbait rod and I feel bites better than on other rods I've occasionally used (GLX 843 MBR, Powell Graphite 725 CB etc.) I use the 6'10" MLS as my main spybaiting rod and it's amazing at picking up those bites. But I'm not a huge fan of dropshotting on that rod. It's not bad, just not as crisp at transmitting bottom as I'd expect.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:35 pm

Well....I currently have these rods that are within the lure weight range I am looking for. Maybe knowing this you can see a place that could be filled with a different rod. The sad part is the past 3 years I haven't gotten out much. Had planned on changing that this year, but with covid 19, me badly spraining an ankle, my wife fracturing her ankle and then me hurting my back so bad I had to call 911 it just hasn't worked out for me to fish. Still hurting bad. Maybe later this year. [-o< Four of the following rods haven't seen water (by me) yet.

Abu Villain 2.0 6’10” ML-EF 1/8-1/2 oz.
Fenwick Aetos 6’6” MLM 1/4-1/2 oz. Currently paired with PXL Type R. Nice!
Falcon Expert 6’9” LF 1/16-3/8 oz.
Fishing 13 Envy Black 6’ 10” ML-EF 1/8-3/8 oz.
Phenix Recon2 7’1” MLF 1/8-1/2 oz.
7’ LF Custom by Vinnie B MHX HM spin jig blank 1/16-3/8 oz. Thinking Ian tuned & upgraded Airy Red. Or on the Falcon.
Daiwa Tatula 7’ MLR 1/4-5/8 oz.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:39 pm

That OG Falcon Expert is moderate and very light in the tip. It would be excellent for small cranks. I had one and sold it several years back, which I regret to this day. I currently have that Villian 2.0 6-10MLXF, and its a great rod for bottom contact. It fishes above its price, for sure, really good sensitivity.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:39 pm
That OG Falcon Expert is moderate and very light in the tip. It would be excellent for small cranks. I had one and sold it several years back, which I regret to this day. I currently have that Villian 2.0 6-10MLXF, and its a great rod for bottom contact. It fishes above its price, for sure, really good sensitivity.
Thanks, buddy. I've never been afraid to throw trebles on the Falcons I have. The Villain is one I haven't had out yet. Purchased by mistake late one night. Afraid I didn't pay close enough attention to the picture or model description. Was wanting the spinning model. TT has given the Villain 2.0 great marks for sensitivity. For sure it will be used for bottom contact. Does it fish typical Abu? A bit heavy?

EDIT: I am catching up on rods. Need 6-7 casting rods to equal number of reels and 4 more spinning rods. :whistle:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:56 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:39 pm
Thanks, buddy. I've never been afraid to throw trebles on the Falcons I have. The Villain is one I haven't had out yet. Purchased by mistake late one night. Afraid I didn't pay close enough attention to the picture or model description. Was wanting the spinning model. TT has given the Villain 2.0 great marks for sensitivity. For sure it will be used for bottom contact. Does it fish typical Abu? A bit heavy?

EDIT: I am catching up on rods. Need 6-7 casting rods to equal number of reels and 4 more spinning rods. :whistle:
No, the 1/8-3/8 oz rating actually seems very accurate to me.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm

In that case I may start with my PX68L on it. Thanks.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:28 pm

So you want to stick with a medium / medium light casting rod then?

Here are my recommendations... kind of in order of preference I think... :

ARK Rods Reinforcer RFC71MXFC 7'-1" - 1/16-1/2oz lure weight $350 (better for bottom contact)

Megabass Orochi XX F5-72XXG Swingfire (7'2") - 1/4 - 5/8 .. $300 built for light cranks, can double as a BFS stick

Kistler KLX 7' Medium 1/8 - 1/2oz lure weight... $300 ... good all around

Shimano Zodias 7'2" Medium Light 3/16-1/2oz ... $209 ... would make a killer match with a Steez

ARK Rods Invoker Pro IVP610MRC 6'10" Medium - 1/8 - 5/8oz lure weight $150 (good choice for moving baits)

I'm sure something else will come to mind after the fact... but I think those are within your range save for the first one... Took a quick look at Daiwa Tatula Elite, but doesn't seem they have a medium or medium power casting rod - especially not with AGS guides... boo :(
Cal, Managing Editor

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:27 pm

Thanks Cal. You have given me a lot to think about. Yes, I want to stick with a Medium/Medium Light. Preferably with the Medium being able to handle 1/8 oz. or 3/16 oz. as I have more than enough Medium and Medium Heavy rods.

I recently picked up a used Steez SV103H. I assume it would also work well on one of the rods I listed above.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:32 pm

It'd be easier if your budget were higher ;)
Cal, Managing Editor