Kistlers warranty and the curse of 2020

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Kistlers warranty and the curse of 2020

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 pm

In the past 10 years I've broken two rods, a veritas medium I used for topwaters and a custom rod built on a rainshadow blank that was cursed. But in the last month I've managed to snap a st Croix legend inshore and a kistler helium3 on the cast. The sad thing about the kistler was the fact I never caught a fish on it. But kistlers warranty process I have to say was a breeze, it was approved and a coupon code sent to me in a couple of hours. The replacement rod was backordered with a 4 week wait time but I got a shipment notification today, I guess they went ahead and built one. Now I get to wait on St Croix and see what they say about my warranty claim on the inshore. Hopefully the curse is broken now and I'll catch some fish next week instead of breaking stuff.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Kistlers warranty and the curse of 2020

Post by bwjay » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your broken rods. I broke a Zodias a few months ago while it was in a rod holder. I caught the line while casting a jerkbait and the rod yanked forward and snapped in the split grip. I was heartbroken. I haven't sent it in yet because I am moving soon and want to make sure it gets sent back to the right address.

Good to know Kistler's warranty process is painless. I've got 4 of their rods, hope I don't have to send them in. Enjoy the replacement!

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Good grief, yeah that'd be heartbreaking, I've done something similar but it snatched the rod out of the holder into the water and I just had to scoop it out. That particular rod was lost on the very next trip when it managed to get airborne off the front deck and the prop wash sucked it under to never be seen again. Kistlers warranty was definitely a breeze, it was even easier than pure fishings claim for shipping damage when the box arrived with the rods sticking out end with bent guides. I have 4 other kistlers so it definitely is good to know that they will take care of it quickly. I hope to enjoy the replacement Wednesday depending on what this hurricane does in Florida.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Just be happy that Kistler didn't break on 6-7 years ago. St Croix will take care of ya

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:41 pm

I have 3 klx rods that are at least that old, what was different about the warranty then? My worry with st Croix is what they replace it with, they have nothing in production similar unless they have some of the old legend tournament inshore rods left.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:46 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:41 pm
I have 3 klx rods that are at least that old, what was different about the warranty then? My worry with st Croix is what they replace it with, they have nothing in production similar unless they have some of the old legend tournament inshore rods left.
I don't think they're quite that old. Or perhaps time travels much too fast 🤔. Shortly before Kistler partnered with NFC, their warranty was a joke. Many old timers on TT had horrible experiences with them.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:04 pm

I had heard when they moved production overseas that things went downhill, my klxs are from 2013 because that's when I graduated from grad school and I bought them as a graduation present to myself. I think they had just started production on the klx because on my first order they sent the wrong rod and sent me a h instead of a mh and cut me a deal to keep from having to ship it back.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:04 pm
I had heard when they moved production overseas that things went downhill, my klxs are from 2013 because that's when I graduated from grad school and I bought them as a graduation present to myself. I think they had just started production on the klx because on my first order they sent the wrong rod and sent me a h instead of a mh and cut me a deal to keep from having to ship it back.
When did Kistler ever go overseas for production? They’ve always built their rods in Magnolia, no?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:39 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 am
doomtrprz71 wrote:
When did Kistler ever go overseas for production? They’ve always built their rods in Magnolia, no?
Back in the mid-late 2000's, they shifted to overseas production of their blanks, and some entry-level rods, and suddenly had a 20% plus breakage rate. It was a difficult thing to watch, because Trey is a good guy and they almost went under. I'm very glad that they got with NFC and brought a lot of it back home. An unfortunate side effect was that their prices went WAY up from what they were before those unfortunate circumstances.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:27 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
I still remember when the KLX first came out. I think I bought mine for like $150 during one of their sales and they offered both split and full handles. Times have definitely changed.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:24 pm

Well hopefully the 2020 curse has been broken, ups delivered my new helium today and managed to get it from TX to ga in perfect shape, fishing Wednesday and Thursday should get it broken in nicely. The 2020 blank is definitely different than the 19, so I am looking forward to trying it out this week. I too miss the $150 klx rods and I would most likely have more if I hadn't gotten into saltwater fishing as hard as I did 6 or 7 years ago.

Shie
Angler
Angler

Post by Shie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:51 am

Man I feel your pain. In 2020 alone I've had 3 Megabass Destroyer Onagers break on me, only once due to user error. Had a couple $100+ swimbaits break off on the cast or lost to a snag. Had a curado k/avid x combo stolen off me, and just recently had a Megabass Valkyrie and a st croix lexend xtreme fly out the boat, into the abyss which is Pool 9 of the Mississippi. Guess that's the price you pay when you're still living and learning with expensive tools.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:14 pm

I'm glad the 2020 curse for your Kistler rod has been broken! As of yesterday, I'm in the same boat as you, but I think I'm still cursed. My 1-month old Zbone (I've posted a bunch about it) broke on a Clear Lake trip because I was casting at the same time as somebody was casting behind me. Powell rod: 1, my Kistler rod: 0 - tip snapped straight off. Very much user error, not the rod.

Submitted a warranty request and told them that I was at fault. Was congratulated for my honesty and received a coupon to order a replacement rod. But that coupon is only for 50% off, a new Zbone would cost me $275 :( If you take into account the fact that I got the original rod on sale for $440, that's only 37.5% off.

So now I'll have to make a decision whether I even take them up on this. Honestly, $275 to replace a Zbone when a rod breaks on you within the first month (my huge mistake for swinging into another rod, but that other rod was a finesse 1-power Powell Endurance and it is fine!), when you're honest and don't even try to play the "Oh, it totally broke on a hookset! Free replacement please!" game, when Loomis would replace an NRX for $175, and Phenix would replace a K2 for $155 - well, that $275 replacement fee just doesn't feel competitive. Maybe it actually costs Kistler this much to make a new Zbone and I'd be getting this one at cost, but that's still not competitive.

I might just wait until TW has a sale and get a K2 714 instead. At least I'll have better insurance in the future. Kinda sucks, I was enjoying my Kistler experiment until I wasn't.
Last edited by Drakestar on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:36 pm

Ouch, looks like the 2020 curse is worse for y'all, I want a zbone but I cannot even remotely justify it, I think I'm going to get 2 of the x-ray blanks next time they're on sale and have a local guy build the rods for a lot less. Weird your coupon was for 50%off, mine was a dollar amount that I could have put towards the zbone I guess. I wish edge would put different guides on their silver widow, I don't mind them on a $150 rod but not a $400 one. Last time I lost a rod to the abyss was in the gulf of Mexico and I would gladly trade that St Croix away any day if I could get that zillion coastal back.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:18 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:36 pm
Ouch, looks like the 2020 curse is worse for y'all, I want a zbone but I cannot even remotely justify it, I think I'm going to get 2 of the x-ray blanks next time they're on sale and have a local guy build the rods for a lot less. Weird your coupon was for 50%off, mine was a dollar amount that I could have put towards the zbone I guess. I wish edge would put different guides on their silver widow, I don't mind them on a $150 rod but not a $400 one. Last time I lost a rod to the abyss was in the gulf of Mexico and I would gladly trade that St Croix away any day if I could get that zillion coastal back.
What guides are on the silver widow?