Need ML casting rod recommendations

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need ML casting rod recommendations

Post by heyitzpetah » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my ML expride to something more high end. I would like recommendations on a casting rod for drop shots, ned rigs, and various other finesse techniques. Preferably something with some bling on it and maybe that "wow" factor. :lol:

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Need ML casting rod recommendations

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:32 am

This thread might help. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=84127

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:38 pm

thank you, i took a look at the thread and the K2 blank seems interesting, however i hear it is prone to breaking. I don't know how true that is. I should've specified that I am leaning towards high end JDM rods

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:48 pm

I'll start with the 6'7 Medium Luxxe Oltre. Seems short, but it is an excellent caster (with the right reel) of 3.5-10 gram total weight. You will be hard pressed to find a more sensitive rod, you won't find more wow, and it can also be used for jerkbaits (110jr's), topwater up to 10 grams, chatterbaits, ect.. wildly versitile. I have even seen it on sale, >$500

Another (that I have) a Designo 6'10 ML/MH. Medium light tip, and what I would consider as a medium backbone. Same as above with a slightly softer tip and a more moderate action. You will need to pick this one off of Yahoo JP when they come up.

If your looking for something longer, find a Fenwich Techna GP 7'4ML. Hell of a rod.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:53 pm

heyitzpetah wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:38 pm
thank you, i took a look at the thread and the K2 blank seems interesting, however i hear it is prone to breaking. I don't know how true that is. I should've specified that I am leaning towards high end JDM rods
Here's another thread to put your mind at rest: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=83245 It sounds like early production runs did have breakage issues, but it's been much better since then.

As for Phenix vs JDM - I think the Phenix holds its own and doesn't look out of place next to my Megabass rods. And it's hard to find a ML + casting Destroyer at least. (Maybe the P5 F2.5-611X Kasumi Six Eleven).

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:12 pm

I was actually looking at the 6'11 kasumi, but without much reviews on it. I'm a bit hesitant.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:06 am

heyitzpetah wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:12 pm
I was actually looking at the 6'11 kasumi, but without much reviews on it. I'm a bit hesitant.
This is TackleTour. This is where you buy one and tell all of us all about it! :D

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:48 pm
I'll start with the 6'7 Medium Luxxe Oltre. Seems short, but it is an excellent caster (with the right reel) of 3.5-10 gram total weight. You will be hard pressed to find a more sensitive rod, you won't find more wow, and it can also be used for jerkbaits (110jr's), topwater up to 10 grams, chatterbaits, ect.. wildly versitile. I have even seen it on sale, >$500

Another (that I have) a Designo 6'10 ML/MH. Medium light tip, and what I would consider as a medium backbone. Same as above with a slightly softer tip and a more moderate action. You will need to pick this one off of Yahoo JP when they come up.

If your looking for something longer, find a Fenwich Techna GP 7'4ML. Hell of a rod.
Thanks, ill check the designo out, i hear good things about that rod