P5 super destroyer

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

P5 super destroyer

Post by goldrod » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Didnt want to hijack anyone elses' thread

What are the thoughts on this P5SD? Asking those who've used it for some time now.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: P5 super destroyer

Post by FamKench » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:22 am

I have one and have taken it out 3 times.

The reel I am using is a Steez A with ZPI m spool and 40 lb J-braid Grand.

The first time I used it was frogging with a megabass big gabot frog(3/4 oz) from a kayak. Like the description says, the hook sets were fast and I had to slow it down a little. I missed a lot of fish but as soon as I slowed down I started hooking them and it never felt underpowered dragging in 2 to 3 lbers covered in weeds.

The second time I used it dragging a 1/8th ounce jig head with shad body for walleye. I caught one walleye and could feel when he ticked the bait. I could also feel the little perch nibbling at the tail of my bait.

The third time I was just messing around and didn't catch anything. I decided to tie on a Sammy 65 which weighs a little less than 1/8th of an ounce and I was casting that plug the same distance as a spinning setup. I was also messing around casting whopper plopper 130s and it handled those great.

Its not as sensitive as my st croix legend xfast spinning setup (medium light so it is limited on versatility) but it is still sensitive and has great balance, versatility, and I can fish it all day without getting tired. Its probably my most sensitive casting rod (I have 2 daiwa elite ags casting rods and a megabass javelin).

I like the carbon handle a lot. It is super comfortable and form fitting. On my Megabass Javelin I had to wrap the handle in winngrip to increase the overall handle diameter to get a comfortable grip (may have effectively "decreased" the amount the shark tooth trigger was able to poke into my hand).

It is the only rod I need to bring on the kayak now since it could do it all and the length is perfect for the yak.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:08 am

I'll be using it in a friendly kayak bass fishing tournament next weekend. I have so much confidence in its versatility and fish handling ability that it will be the only rod i will be bringing.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 pm

FamKench wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:08 am
I'll be using it in a friendly kayak bass fishing tournament next weekend. I have so much confidence in its versatility and fish handling ability that it will be the only rod i will be bringing.
Sounds pretty good.
I will be completely honest with you. I have the Gen 1 rod and I am a skeptic of the P5 version. But I’ll cover the shipping if you send me your P5 to help me come to a definitive conclusion \:D/

I’m kidding of course.
I think that if I were to give MB money again it would have to be the
P5 SD. Enjoy your stick man and let us know how the tournament went
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:50 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:12 pm
FamKench wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:08 am
Sounds pretty good.
I will be completely honest with you. I have the Gen 1 rod and I am a skeptic of the P5 version. But I’ll cover the shipping if you send me your P5 to help me come to a definitive conclusion \:D/

I’m kidding of course.
I think that if I were to give MB money again it would have to be the
P5 SD. Enjoy your stick man and let us know how the tournament went
Thanks!

Here's another story.

Over the weekend I went to the river to get more familiar with the P5 Super Destroyer. I saw crappies surfacing maybe 10 yards out. I didn't bring my spinning gear so decided what the heck I'll tie on a lucky craft pointer 65 (3/16th oz). Surprisingly I was casting that thing a good 15 yards. I think it was more a function of the 9 gram zpi spool.

It was pretty funny fishing with 40lb braid and a 3/16th oz bait.

I ended up catching a total of 7 crappies.

Score another great outing for the P5 destroyer.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Well seven is a good number I’m told

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:00 pm

What reel do you have on the P5 SD?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:05 pm

Big-Bass wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:00 pm
What reel do you have on the P5 SD?
Original poster is using a Steez A with a zpi M spool

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:35 pm

I wonder how the balance is with a Steez A? I assume terrific.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:00 pm

Right at the twisting part of the lock nut.

Maybe even in the center of the twisting part of lock nut if I didn't have the carbon fiber handle and zpi spool.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:23 am

my goodness the balance of these rods is absolutely fantastic. now y can't the nrx go this route?

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 am

I haven’t fished with any iteration of the Super Destroyer, but I’ve compared the Carbon Head and non-CH more recent versions to the P5 in hand, and in terms of power, action, and weight there are some slight differences.

The P5 to me feels like it has just a very slightly deeper flex than previous SD versions. But just enough to be noticeable, and I doubt it would detract from it’s intended purposes or be disappointing at all. Again, could be a different story when you’re actually fishing them and I realize that is totally subjective and different for anyone. And the P5 rods, overall, are almost too light in terms of weight. It’s wild, they barely feel like you’re holding anything. If you were to pick up the carbon head and P5 to compare I’d be shocked if you decided to save $50 to NOT get the P5.

I’ve got the P5 Tachyon Shaft and Tequila Baccarac, and can say that if you can spare the extra cash you will not be disappointed with the P5 Super Destroyer.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:46 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:43 am
I haven’t fished with any iteration of the Super Destroyer, but I’ve compared the Carbon Head and non-CH more recent versions to the P5 in hand, and in terms of power, action, and weight there are some slight differences.

The P5 to me feels like it has just a very slightly deeper flex than previous SD versions. But just enough to be noticeable, and I doubt it would detract from it’s intended purposes or be disappointing at all. Again, could be a different story when you’re actually fishing them and I realize that is totally subjective and different for anyone. And the P5 rods, overall, are almost too light in terms of weight. It’s wild, they barely feel like you’re holding anything. If you were to pick up the carbon head and P5 to compare I’d be shocked if you decided to save $50 to NOT get the P5.

I’ve got the P5 Tachyon Shaft and Tequila Baccarac, and can say that if you can spare the extra cash you will not be disappointed with the P5 Super Destroyer.
Every description of the P5SD is that it comes with a deeper taper or slower action ( working on using the correct jargon- so did I do that correctly ?)
But that’s what kinda concerns me about it. I’m not sure to what degree it is but I know that the previous version is true jig worm or frog rod.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:17 pm

I don’t think it’s an apples to oranges comparison, more like Granny Smith to red delicious apples-to-apples comparison. One may be slightly sweeter than than the other. But, I haven’t actually fished either of them. You may want to try the Tachyon Shaft if you don’t mind it being 2” shorter. They’re all very capable jig rods, though. If you like Megabass JDM tapers you won’t be disappointed.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:37 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Every description of the P5SD is that it comes with a deeper taper or slower action ( working on using the correct jargon- so did I do that correctly ?)
But that’s what kinda concerns me about it. I’m not sure to what degree it is but I know that the previous version is true jig worm or frog rod.
I have the P5 SD and it is a med-fast action. If you are familiar with other MB rods than it fits in line with the med-fast tapers of some of their Evoluzion rods (imo). The rod is light, but has a lot of backbone.

It says that it is for fishing cover with jigs and worms, but with its lure rating range and the med-fast taper, it has plenty of utility. In fact, I've primarily fished frogs with it--Jackall Iobee and Zoom Horny Toads. I even used the 'ol carolina rig for a bit and didn't have trouble detecting what was going on on the bottom. In fact, I've used other lures with it, but not a jig or t-rigged plastic yet. :lol: