Dobyns Fury Casting Rod 7' Med Hvy Cranking

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Dobyns Fury Casting Rod 7' Med Hvy Cranking

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:46 pm

I'm looking for another cranking rod, cheap.
Anyone here fished this rod and have an opinion?

A42pb2
Angler
Angler

Re: Dobyns Fury Casting Rod 7' Med Hvy Cranking

Post by A42pb2 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm

Just picked up one and haven’t fished it much but seems more like a med than med/heavy so far. I got it for a little under retail and I think I will use it more when the grass in my lake is gone

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:16 pm

A42pb2 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 pm
Just picked up one and haven’t fished it much but seems more like a med than med/heavy so far. I got it for a little under retail and I think I will use it more when the grass in my lake is gone
Thanks. Let us know how it fishes, please.

Bassforce1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bassforce1 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:07 am

I’ve been fishing one almost a year now. The rod balances great, fatigue is not a factor. After fishing it a while using 12lb mono throwing mostly squarebills and ploppers I had a run of bad luck losing fish, I chalked it up to the rod being too weak combined with stretchy mono to get a good hookset.

I put it away for a while then on a whim decided to throw some 30lb braid on it which made the rod really came alive as my hooking and landing ratio went up and as a bonus I discovered I could now really work a jerkbait. Enough power for spinnerbait? Check. Swimjigs? Check, so long as it had a fine wire hook.

Crazy versatile (with braid), great warranty. I really find it hard to find any faults in it other than maybe the guides are cheap, and suspect long term durability, I’ve owned mine about a year and really baby my gear so I can’t comment on that yet.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:59 pm

Bassforce1 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:07 am
I’ve been fishing one almost a year now. The rod balances great, fatigue is not a factor. After fishing it a while using 12lb mono throwing mostly squarebills and ploppers I had a run of bad luck losing fish, I chalked it up to the rod being too weak combined with stretchy mono to get a good hookset.

I put it away for a while then on a whim decided to throw some 30lb braid on it which made the rod really came alive as my hooking and landing ratio went up and as a bonus I discovered I could now really work a jerkbait. Enough power for spinnerbait? Check. Swimjigs? Check, so long as it had a fine wire hook.

Crazy versatile (with braid), great warranty. I really find it hard to find any faults in it other than maybe the guides are cheap, and suspect long term durability, I’ve owned mine about a year and really baby my gear so I can’t comment on that yet.
Thanks for a great review.

A42pb2
Angler
Angler

Post by A42pb2 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:20 pm

Had a good day fishing the Dobyns with a lucky Craft flat dr Crankbait and 12 lb seguar fc. Casting hooking and landing some spots at Nacimiento. If on the fence about the rod you won’t have much to lose if you pick up one to try.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:19 am

A42pb2 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:20 pm
Had a good day fishing the Dobyns with a lucky Craft flat dr Crankbait and 12 lb seguar fc. Casting hooking and landing some spots at Nacimiento. If on the fence about the rod you won’t have much to lose if you pick up one to try.
Thanks. I'm cheap, so I'll probably agonize over this decision until the crankbait bite is done. Hahaha

poot04
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by poot04 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:11 pm

Bassforce1 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:07 am

Braid to leader(mono/flouro) has lots of benefits that get overlooked. A jerk bait can be worked with a very light wrist twitch with minimal fatigue all day long

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:13 am

I am thinking of picking up the colt 705 cb