Leviathan Trinity Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Leviathan Trinity Rods

Post by Chode » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:05 pm

https://www.leviathanrods.com/shop/prod ... -bass-rod/

I noticed that these rods are made out of x-ray blanks. Have anybody used these? If so, can' you write a review as well as post pics of the balancing point? appreciate it

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Leviathan Trinity Rods

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Proprietary. Cheaper than a Z Bone

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:15 pm
What's proprietary?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:18 pm

Chode wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:09 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
What's proprietary?
That just means the blanks are built to the customer's specifications, including budget of said customer, length, action and power.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:18 pm
Chode wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:09 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
What's proprietary?
That just means the blanks are built to the customer's specifications, including budget of said customer, length, action and power.
Just now read their blank description. Thx for the heads up. So have u guys tried these? R they garbage?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Haven't tried them myself. I dont think you could call anything made by Gary Loomis "garbage".
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:29 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:09 pm
I dont think you could call anything made by Gary Loomis "garbage".
The blanks are made by Gary Loomis - or at least his company, not the finished rods ;) ...

I'm wrapping up the review on one of their swimbait sticks, so that will hopefully be published soon. I'm not sure the spec's on their Trinity sticks, but one of the reason for the lower costs than the comparable Kistler could be components. The swimbait rod is not finished with Fuji components.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Are these even available? All their Trinity rods are listed as “Out Of Stock” on their store page.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:00 pm
Are these even available? All their Trinity rods are listed as “Out Of Stock” on their store page.
THAT I cannot tell you. Maybe they’re waiting on blanks or other materials? The supply chain is all messed up this year due to the pandemic. It’s not a stretch to think they’ve been affected.
Cal, Managing Editor

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:32 pm

I bought the 7'1" MH and the 7'3" H Trinity during a spring sale they had. I've only fished with them a few times but here is the info I can give .

The website says ALPS double locking reel seats, titanium stripper guides, and stainless running guides with zirconia inserts. The owner , Eric Gomez, told me the guides were SeaGuides.

The 7'1" MH weighed in at 4.5oz on my scale and the 7'3" H weighed in at 4.8oz (didn't take a picture)

Balance point

The Fuego weighed 7.2oz and is on the the MH
The sv103 weighed 7.7oz and is on the H

Some pictures of the Heavy (all double foot guides except the tip).

Pictures of the MH

Eric responds very quickly, was very helpful/friendly, and he seems to have great customer service (was more than willing to take care of issues I had). The lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects is good ($79 handling fee to replace the trinity which cost $300) They also donate a portion of every rod sale to foster village to help the foster kids in their community.

I believe most of the imperfections were with the x-ray blanks themselves and just cosmetic except maybe the gouge behind the reel seat on the Heavy. Eric Gomez said the blanks are not sanded and unfinished. The only other issue I had was the tip was not in line with the guides on either rod. The MH was off to the right by a decent amount and the H was off to the left a little (can be seen in the pictures). Eric said I could return them and they'd replace the tips, he could send me new tips and walk me through replacing them, or I could take the rods to a rod builder and he'd pay for the replacement. I never took care of it so that's on me now. Also I've talked to another member who purchased one of their swimbait rods and didn't have any of the issues I had.

I haven't fished them enough to give a recommendation on them and I believe the Trinity series has been out of stock since the spring sale but I could be wrong.
Last edited by chrisg_sdcf on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:51 pm

Those are the same components (reel seat and guides) on the swimbait stick I'm writing up... the owner's name is Eric Gomez ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:51 pm
Those are the same components (reel seat and guides) on the swimbait stick I'm writing up... the owner's name is Eric Gomez ;)
Thanks and I enjoy reading all of your write ups. They are very helpful .

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:18 pm

For him to say I'm willing to pay for u to get that tip realigned is deff something that should be applauded

thx for posting all those pics. much appreciated

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:29 am

Chode wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:18 pm
For him to say I'm willing to pay for u to get that tip realigned is deff something that should be applauded

thx for posting all those pics. much appreciated
Eric made it very clear throughout the entire process he would stand behind his product. Then made me feel like he'd do whatever it took to fix the mistake and make me happy with my purchase. Even allowing me to fish the rods for 30 days and send them back for a full refund if I wasnt satisfied with them.

You're welcome for the pictures.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:40 pm

Great info, thanks ChrisG! The two Zbones I have show the same blank imperfections, but they're subsurface only (you can see them but the blank feels smooth, where the Trinity blanks look like there's an actual chip you can feel?) It's in line with what I've seen other custom rods built on an Xray blank look like, though.

If these blanks fish like the Xray blanks Kistler uses (AFAIK Kistler gets custom-specced ones, but not sure why they wouldn't), these rods look like a steal. Bit worried about the guides maybe dampening the sensitivity by a hair.