Punching Rods....Help me find the one.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Punching Rods....Help me find the one.

Post by papabassin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:21 am

jpmoney wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:14 am
Take a look at the shimano expride 1711XH. It's a beast of a rod and a great for punching.

It's also very durable, no issues in my mind to make some huge hooksets with this rod.

On the other hand, if you enjoy snapping rods on the hookset, the warhammer or other MB offerings might be a good choice.
LOL :doh: :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:23 am

papabassin wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:21 am
jpmoney wrote:
Take a look at the shimano expride 1711XH. It's a beast of a rod and a great for punching.

It's also very durable, no issues in my mind to make some huge hooksets with this rod.

On the other hand, if you enjoy snapping rods on the hookset, the warhammer or other MB offerings might be a good choice.
LOL :doh: :lol:
Ouch 😣
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:41 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:52 am

If you want something less glamorous, you can't go wrong with iRod's AIR IRA7104PRG-H. This stick was spec'd by Bub Tosh, who makes part of his living by punching on the CA Delta on the way to top finishes on the CA Delta year after year.

Lastly... if custom is your style or even not, Kistler's Helium 7'10" Heavy is the current day version of the He3711MAD, Mark Daniel's signature stick when he was with Kistler. Daniels is another Delta Rat, and that stick was really hot for a while. You can contact Kistler directly and have that 7'10" heavy built up exactly how you want... like with spiral wrapped guides and a full rear grip of cork or EVA instead of the split.
I would second the iRod AIR IRA7104PRG as I've been using this stick for a while now. Spiral wrapped guides which makes perfect sense for a punching stick. My only complaint on the rod is the reel seat, but I've never really been a fan of that style reel seat. Otherwise, it's a great punching blank for the thick stuff and sensitivity is good.

In comparison to the Kistler H3 7-10 H MOD, I would say no. That's the rod I started with and feel it's much better suited as a large crankbait rod... likely where the blank gets its dna from. My opinion, it lacks the power and control needed to punch.... like in a half or full power too weak. It is very parabolic however and could be of interest to some.

Expride 7-11 XH gets rave reviews for punching and is in my cue

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 pm

DavidSA wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:16 pm
I have a 2019 Kistler zbone 7'10H that is very very good for intended application. I'd say the rod is a more moderate action but to me it fishes like a fast action- feels similar to my NRX 894 with a bit longer and a bit stronger.

bought it to punch but have been fishing it with heavy t-rigs as the grass on okeechobee was dead in 2019 and early 2020.
Another vote on the latest zbone for punching. I’ve written about it in a previous thread of a similar title. Kistler has sales now and again. That’s when I got mine. I would not pay full price for the bare bones build and crappy cork. But the blank is magic. I use the 7’6 H with the MOD taper. I’ve worn that rod out over the 2 years or so punching. I’ve had at least 5 guides replaced and the rod builder I take it to when repairs are needed made fun of me last time based on the way it looked. I take care for my gear, but that rod just received a lot of heavy use because it serves that technique so well in my hands. It really changed my mind about the utility of a more parabolic taper when punching. Beast rod, broom stick to a point, and ultra sensitive. Taper is so cool for punching. I really don’t miss any extra length with it being 7.6.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 pm
DavidSA wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:16 pm
I have a 2019 Kistler zbone 7'10H that is very very good for intended application. I'd say the rod is a more moderate action but to me it fishes like a fast action- feels similar to my NRX 894 with a bit longer and a bit stronger.

bought it to punch but have been fishing it with heavy t-rigs as the grass on okeechobee was dead in 2019 and early 2020.
I would not pay full price for the bare bones build and crappy cork. But the blank is magic. I use the 7’6 H with the MOD taper. I’ve worn that rod out over the 2 years or so punching.
Couldn't agree more on how overpriced the zbones are now... the cork is absolute garbage for a $500+ retail rod... a St. Croix AvidX has substantially better cork. I can't believe he dropped the iconic marbled cork grips.... I'm sure he had his reasons, but that was definitely a standout look for Kistler.

I walked thru his shop a few months back and fairly certain the H Mod blank is the same throughout the H3, KLX, Magnesium, and Argon series rods in terms of power and action... obviously the blank materials are different.

A42pb2
Angler
Angler

Post by A42pb2 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Ritual Angling JL711H 6.9oz balance and sensitivity action power are great. Has a unfinished unsanded blank kind of like a Dobyns Fury. Guides and rapping look nice Composite cork kind of gets a little hot on the deck when summer fishing mine has a black Curado k which doesn’t help with that either got the rod from a used rack at local tackle shop will definitely be keeping good luck tackle Warehouse has them around 169.

NOLRAMB
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NOLRAMB » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:13 pm

ST. Croix Legend Elite EC711HMF

Awesome rod and comes in at 5.8 ounces mine is paired with a ZILLION 10.0 SV TW

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:58 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 pm
Another vote on the latest zbone for punching. I’ve written about it in a previous thread of a similar title. Kistler has sales now and again. That’s when I got mine. I would not pay full price for the bare bones build and crappy cork. But the blank is magic.
If you’re on the mailing list there’s another 25% off sale on Zbones right now (35% if you spend more than $999.) A Zbone for 410 bucks and no sales tax (cause Kistler is in TX) is a good deal, the Xray blank beats a GLX or Destroyer easily. I mostly soured on Kistler because of the replacement policy when a rod breaks outside warranty. I only got 50% off to replace the rod, which is much worse than what Loomis, Dobyns or Phenix offer.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm

jpmoney wrote:

I've decided to pick up the expride 1711XH. You talked me into it. Which reel did you pair yours with if you dont mind me asking? I've never owned a shimano reel. Is there any issues with a diawa reel fitting the shimano expride rod reel seat?

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Jeep wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm
jpmoney wrote:

I've decided to pick up the expride 1711XH. You talked me into it. Which reel did you pair yours with if you dont mind me asking? I've never owned a shimano reel. Is there any issues with a diawa reel fitting the shimano expride rod reel seat?
Glad I could help. I doubt you will be disappointed with this rod - it’s a beast and I have yet to lose a battle in the slop with it. I have total confidence in laying into them hard and ripping them out.

I have used a couple reels on it so far, a Metanium MGL and this season switched to a Curado K 201XG. I like the Curado better for punching IMO. I briefly tried a Daiwa SV103 reel on it, but that reel seemed to stand a bit high off the reel seat for my comfort preference. I like the lower profile of the Curado/Metanium. In terms of reel compatibility, a low profile Daiwa like a Steez A, or new tatula would be perfect. No fitment issues on the reel seat if you are looking at Daiwa reels.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:26 am

jpmoney wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:01 pm
Jeep wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm
jpmoney wrote:

Glad I could help. I doubt you will be disappointed with this rod - it’s a beast and I have yet to lose a battle in the slop with it. I have total confidence in laying into them hard and ripping them out.

I have used a couple reels on it so far, a Metanium MGL and this season switched to a Curado K 201XG. I like the Curado better for punching IMO. I briefly tried a Daiwa SV103 reel on it, but that reel seemed to stand a bit high off the reel seat for my comfort preference. I like the lower profile of the Curado/Metanium. In terms of reel compatibility, a low profile Daiwa like a Steez A, or new tatula would be perfect. No fitment issues on the reel seat if you are looking at Daiwa reels.
Thank you for the info. Hopefully now I will be able to get the big girls outa the thick stuff :big grin:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Megabass Black Jungle Punching & Swimbait. Has the more moderate action for punching and more power than you'll know what to do with. When the covers thick thats the rod I reach for no questions asked. It is THE punch rod.

For lighter duty I've been a huge fan of the Unlimited Rods Punchshot-HD. A bit shorter than most so more leverage and accuracy and its feather light so long days dont wear you out as bad. It does not handle extremely thick cover as well as the MB though.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:24 am

Teal101 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:28 pm
Megabass Black Jungle Punching & Swimbait. Has the more moderate action for punching and more power than you'll know what to do with. When the covers thick thats the rod I reach for no questions asked. It is THE punch rod.

For lighter duty I've been a huge fan of the Unlimited Rods Punchshot-HD. A bit shorter than most so more leverage and accuracy and its feather light so long days dont wear you out as bad. It does not handle extremely thick cover as well as the MB though.
Where do you find info on Unlimited Rods? I have never heard of them.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:39 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:24 am
Teal101 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:28 pm

Where do you find info on Unlimited Rods? I have never heard of them.
There really isnt much at all. They're built on designo blanks. They were a short limited release a few years ago.

https://ameblo.jp/shojijun/entry-12286302079.html
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Pond King » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:19 pm

NOLRAMB wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:13 pm
ST. Croix Legend Elite EC711HMF

Awesome rod and comes in at 5.8 ounces mine is paired with a ZILLION 10.0 SV TW
How's the balance on that thing?