Expride 7'3" XH vs. Dobyns 746 HP

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Expride 7'3" XH vs. Dobyns 746 HP

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:47 pm

I'm looking to pick up a new rod for pitching into and around heavier cover and I have pretty much narrowed it down to these 2 rods. I will primarily be throwing pegged creature baits and craws with 3/8-3/4oz weights. Looking for anyone who has experience with either of these rods for this purpose and especially those with experience with both rods.

I mostly fish Dobyns rods and have a few HPs and Xtasies so I'm very familiar with them. I recently picked up the 7'2" ML+ Expride and I'm really liking it for lighter t-rigs, but I have no other experience with Exprides. I'm not really interested in people's perceived sensitivity of the rods, but more about how they handle and perform for this specific application and how they compare in power and action. Thanks in advance.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Expride 7'3" XH vs. Dobyns 746 HP

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:51 pm

The Dobyns Extreme 746c is a fairly versatile rod and probably among the most sensitive in the Dobyns Extreme line up. To me it was as sensitive as my Xtasy755c.

The 746c has enough backbone for 1.5 oz lures but can also throw 3/8 oz lures. It is also very well balanced.

The Dobyns warranty is also better since with heavy duty activities always something can go wrong.

No experience with the shimano though.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:29 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:51 pm
The Dobyns Extreme 746c is a fairly versatile rod and probably among the most sensitive in the Dobyns Extreme line up. To me it was as sensitive as my Xtasy755c.

The 746c has enough backbone for 1.5 oz lures but can also throw 3/8 oz lures. It is also very well balanced.

The Dobyns warranty is also better since with heavy duty activities always something can go wrong.

I appreciate the feedback. I own 2 of the Xtasy 755c and really love that rod for jigs and plastics. I'm basically looking for that rod with more power for setting heavier gauge hooks and moving fish out and away from cover. Also, the warranty and replacement program as well as the balance of their rods is what has kept me coming back to Dobyns.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:29 pm
freelancer27 wrote:

I appreciate the feedback. I own 2 of the Xtasy 755c and really love that rod for jigs and plastics. I'm basically looking for that rod with more power for setting heavier gauge hooks and moving fish out and away from cover. Also, the warranty and replacement program as well as the balance of their rods is what has kept me coming back to Dobyns.
Yeah, the warranty and the balance of their rods is good! I sold the Xtasy 755c as well as the 746c and replaced them with a NRX 894c & Steez Bottom Contact and a Steez AGS XH 7'9. Frankly different price points. I was a bit underwhelmed by the power and sensitivity of the XTASY as well as the power of the 746c. The XTASY felt more like a Medium Heavy to me, so did the 746c. You have to go very far into the backbone of the rods to really get the power. It might be personal preference..

In my opinion the 746c is a bit more powerful than the Xtasy 755c but not by that much. If you are planning to throw 1+ oz punching rigs on pure braid, I think the 746c should be ok for heavy cover. If you are planning to use fluro/mono and want a heavy stick than I think you might want to look elsewhere.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Exprides and the XH is a favorite for a lot of people for heavy stuff. Just the warranty is not the best on Shimano imo.

Choices... ;)

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:38 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:08 pm
Craiger12 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:29 pm
freelancer27 wrote:

Yeah, the warranty and the balance of their rods is good! I sold the Xtasy 755c as well as the 746c and replaced them with a NRX 894c & Steez Bottom Contact and a Steez AGS XH 7'9. Frankly different price points. I was a bit underwhelmed by the power and sensitivity of the XTASY as well as the power of the 746c. The XTASY felt more like a Medium Heavy to me, so did the 746c. You have to go very far into the backbone of the rods to really get the power. It might be personal preference..

In my opinion the 746c is a bit more powerful than the Xtasy 755c but not by that much. If you are planning to throw 1+ oz punching rigs on pure braid, I think the 746c should be ok for heavy cover. If you are planning to use fluro/mono and want a heavy stick than I think you might want to look elsewhere.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Exprides and the XH is a favorite for a lot of people for heavy stuff. Just the warranty is not the best on Shimano imo.

Choices... ;)
Thanks again. I will be using straight braid or braid to leader and doubt I will ever go over 3/4oz on a rig and more likely it will be 3/8 or 1/2 oz. I owned the 795c HP flipping stick and sold it bc it was just way more than I needed and I prefer something a little shorter and easier handling.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:18 am

Then the 746c should work for you.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:44 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:18 am
Then the 746c should work for you.
Thanks. Good to know I was on the right track.