Dobyns 745 HP

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Dobyns 745 HP

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Anyone using this rod for frogs?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Dobyns 745 HP

Post by godshippy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Not sure if you got an answer for this a while back in another thread or something...but I think the 746 might be a better option. I feel like the 745 just doesn't have enough power...sometimes I question throwing a 1/2 oz jig into the thick stuff.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:17 pm

godshippy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:45 pm
Not sure if you got an answer for this a while back in another thread or something...but I think the 746 might be a better option. I feel like the 745 just doesn't have enough power...sometimes I question throwing a 1/2 oz jig into the thick stuff.
I have this rod and I will be completely honest and 100%
Opinionated. I’ve tried this rod at a number of things and without bashing the brand or coming off negative I have to say that the rod should have had a faster action. It has backbone but deep in the blank.
My preference of fishing bottom contact baits is for a rod to have a faster action based off the technique. Some people want a more parabolic bend in a flipping punching pitching rod and I can see that but not like this rod.
I’m thinking it is probably best suited for toads so that the rod loads before setting the hook. A football jig maybe 🤔 but you mentioned throwing a 1/2 jig in thick stuff and here’s where I am
3/8 rattle weight and snell knot hook on floro carbon.
I have mine paired with an OG zillion hlc spool and if I’m not doing that I’m
Using a weighted under spin and rhythm wave.

A guy showed me that when it gets really really hot in Florida and the fish seem to have stopped biting swim a swim bait unweighted like a needle fish.
I tried it on a stretch of bank and when I got it just like he said I was about 3/10 cause the blow ups scared my pants off. Anyways it’s a very specific way and location to use that technique so I’m hopeful to try it on this rod but I’m skeptical at the same time. A Dobyns 7’3” heavy is not the same as a Kistler rod of the same Specs.
I’m giving Dobyns an honest try, I have the 805 Flippin rod too. I thought it would make me sell my zombie rod or something from my H3 rack but to date
I really love my H3 jig rod especially after paring it up with an Antares HG.

Thanks for your input man. Sometimes I can jump the gun a little early
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:18 pm

All that being said what are you using the 745 for?

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:10 pm

I have the 745 and it makes a great football jig rod, decent 1/2oz and less jig rod, good texas rig rod. Im sure it would work well for moving baits as well like swim jigs and swimbaits but I use mine with bottom contact only, usually a 1/2oz texas rig or 1/2oz jig for me with 20lb floro. Im sure it would be OK for a frog rod but for a dobyns I depending on what kind of cover you would be fishing I would look at a champ xp 736c or champ xp or below series 735c.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:35 pm

I was using my 745 for jigs and texas rigs, but have been searching for something different for quite some time. I never really pulled the trigger on anything due to price...but I came across a brand new Steez AGS Bottom Contact for $225 and I couldn't say no hahaha. I got the rod in a week ago and haven't fished it yet, but the bend test shows me it's exactly what I'm looking for in a jig rod. I have a feeling this is going to easily replace the 745.

I think the 745 is more suited for something where you "swim" a bait. Like a swimjig or swimming a texas rig through some light cover.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 am

godshippy wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:35 pm
I was using my 745 for jigs and texas rigs, but have been searching for something different for quite some time. I never really pulled the trigger on anything due to price...but I came across a brand new Steez AGS Bottom Contact for $225 and I couldn't say no hahaha. I got the rod in a week ago and haven't fished it yet, but the bend test shows me it's exactly what I'm looking for in a jig rod. I have a feeling this is going to easily replace the 745.

I think the 745 is more suited for something where you "swim" a bait. Like a swimjig or swimming a texas rig through some light cover.
Dang Son...what a steal on the Steez!!!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 am
godshippy wrote:

I know, right? Just couldn't refuse at that price.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:13 pm

godshippy wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:58 pm
Gone Phishin wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:52 am
godshippy wrote:

I know, right? Just couldn't refuse at that price.

I just sold mine got tired of it
I’m hoping for better results with this custom build
But that only leaves me with the 805 hp as a Flippin stick. I would sell it but shipping an 8’ rod is like having your a tooth pulled without any numbing medication

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:49 pm

The 805 is a great punching rod. I used to use it all the time on the Delta until I switched to the 795 Extreme.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:23 pm

godshippy wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:49 pm
The 805 is a great punching rod. I used to use it all the time on the Delta until I switched to the 795 Extreme.
PVC pipe was $10 plus 6 bucks for end caps.
Shipping insured ($300) was $50 and it hurts but it gives ME peace of mind that the next person has a better chance of getting the rod in one piece and if lost or broken it will be paid for. I could have taken a cheaper route but like I said it gives me peace of mind.
I’m looking to use the 805 some more next week and get into some narly stuff. I have a reel with braid on it and I’m thinking 1oz weight should do all I need to do