Best Shimano rod for top water

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best Shimano rod for top water

Post by Rodster14 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:49 am

I currently use an Expride 6'10 M for top waters and jerk baits. Works great, but I am considering a longer rod for top waters (7.2-7.3). Mainly throw 1/2-5-8 with occasional 3/4. Any thoughts?

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best Shimano rod for top water

Post by russ57 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:28 am

I would say a 7M glass model in the expride,zodias, or Intenza. I have the expride model and it has been good for 1.5s and DT6s so it would probably be good for topwaters with similar treble hooks

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Andrea 7'2" h is good with walking baits or ones with bigger trebles

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:38 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:18 pm
Andrea 7'2" h is good with walking baits or ones with bigger trebles
interesting. more so than the 6'11 M+? I'll prob end up getting both though :lol:

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:17 am

I have both they are really do it all rods. The 7'2" is more of a mh than a heavy power

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:08 pm

That Expride is great for all qround Topwater lures but is best for medium sized topwaters. There's a few other models i use in addition to the Expride, list below!

Zodias 6'10" Medium light. My go to popper rod and small topwaters. Light tip casts and works tiny baits like a champ! Mega bass popx ! To bad it was not remade in the new Zodias line.

Poison Adrena 6'11+ medium. This rod is the deal and packs alot of power. Best suited for medium to large topwaters, it def works poppers and other small toppies great. The action is perfect for walking the dog style baits and is the most accurate rod in Shimano's offerings. Best baits are evergreen showerblows, megabass dog x, ima skimmer, sammy 80 & 120 and more!

Expride 7'2" mh moderate glass. Think rod is my go to for topwaters or subsurface divers that are retriveved just by reeling in and occasionally twitching for action. I use it for Whopper ploppers, deps buzz jet, buzzbaits, wattlebats, baby minus 1 style cranks. The glass blank lets you cast far and the delay of the moderate rod helps hook fish without pulling bait away to soon. It handles everything besides massive topwaters!

Poison Adrena 7'2" heavy. This is my rod when it co.es to tbrowing the biggest practical topwaters in my box. It is a lightweight rod packed with power for casting, handling heavy topwaters and big fish. Big baits with minimal fatigue is this rods area of expertise.